Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah saints

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You you you You Tah Saints etc etc

So, the proposal for January's trip next year is Utah. We might stay near SLC and commute to various resorts, or stay in Park City. Mostly intermediate /advanced, but there's at least one boarder (typical, of the four resorts that still ban boarders two are in the area we're visiting, but he's the one insisiting on Utah).

Your recommendations? Resorts / Accomodation / Bars / etc etc?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would stay in Midvale near the TRAX station. It is the start point for the bus to the four Cottonwood Canyon resorts.

I stayed closer to downtown, so walk to TRAX station, get train, then get bus. If you want downtown in the evening you have the train then.

Midvale is a suburban strip mall sort of place. Bars are not great. Off licences are closed on Sunday. Pack a bottle opener.

Lambs in downtown was good for steaks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the lcc/bcc resorts do a combined skiSLC pass, the places like PC & DV aren't on it and until the tunnel is built are a fair drive (there is another thread on driving times). I've also heard Snowbasin is worth checking out
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, I presume you're hiring a car?

Last time we stayed in Park City and SLC. I'd not bother with SLC next time. The driving times from PC aren't any longer. Our favourite resort was Solitude - lots of HP and hardly anyone about. Alta's pretty special but you'll have to leave your boarder behind. We didn't find Snowbird quite so appealing for some reason. It was certainly busier. Our experience should be conditioned by the fact that it hadn't snowed in a few days when we got there and didn't snow while we were there. Alta addmittedly has more tougher stuff - e.g. High Rustler being a great run to straightline (it was bumpy).

The main drag in PC is where most of the action is at. You need to join some "bars" but one of you can join and "sign" the others in. Some don't have this requirement. It's not terribly expensive anyway, $1 per night or $5 for 10 nights kind of thing. the beer strength is restricted but that means the locals try hard to make local stuff tastier. Some of it's really rather good. You can always have a wee chaser with it if necessary.

When we were there PC had a fantastic up market Tex-Mex. Amazing if not cheap.

On mountain dining is unimpressive self service with the exception of (IIRC) the River Cafe in Dear Valley. One of our best ever ski lunches (and we've had a few). There's also a rather nice restaurant at the bottom of Solitude.

We didn't do but there are side-country tours between the resorts. Might be worth checking out.

Heard lots of good things about Snowbasin from the locals but didn't make it round there.

P.S. don't make any cheeky comments about the Church of Latter Day Saints being founded by a charlatan and con-man. Nor about them retro-fitting mormonism onto the victims of the holocaust. It's still a touchy subject.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd plan on riding at Powder Mtn and Snowbasin course there are enough ski areas to hit each one once and still need 8 days to do them all not including going back to the ones you liked best.

Haven't been back to Snowbasin since the improvements for the Olympics but have heard good things.

There are a couple of micro breweries in SLC that have tasty weak beer and decent food and while it's not as wild as it used to be the Dead Goat has always been a bar with good music but it's a bit hard to find.

Park City is more fun to party in especially since you can walk the town.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks folks

David Murdoch, no plans yet. If we base ourselves in SLC we'll definitely hire a car. Based in PC I'd imagine we'd hire one anyway (we'll ti'll be a bus, there's at least 5 of us and the upper limit is not known!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy