Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Summer 2008

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, Love camping, maybe l won't go home Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clare mcbride, Very Happy Very Happy

It's been a funny old day today. It started off nice after a rather warm night, and then suddenly it was blowing a gale and raining hard. About 1 hour later the wind dropped and the sun was mostly out for the later afternoon, but with clouds around. It's looked fairly threatening all day though. No idea what it was like up there today. Sorry. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been much like yesterday but without the rain and the wind today. Mostly sunny, quite warm, but with a fair bit of cloud around too. I've taken 2 pix: one of looking down to the village of Venosc and the other of La Muzelle. It's a bit hard to see in the second photo, but if you compare the high snow with last week - well. Sad Sad I've got a couple of welcome meetings tomorrow, but if I don't manage to get any work (unlikely), I'll have to go up to the glacier one day next week to collect my skis. In that case I'll have a good looksee and take some photos. Next week is our last week of the summer season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, hope to see you when you're in the UK - how long will you be here?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Fascinated that LDA looks so different when you look from another angle. These two photos look almost South American. Smile Amazing what the changing seasons are like in the mountains, must be great for you in the summer as you get more time to sit and enjoy the view. Very tempted to sign up for the March beginner (Old trout) week that I have been reading about in another thread so I can see the mountain for myself. Razz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Headplant, Yes, sign up!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant, I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. I was speaking to Lizzard the other day, and she's deffo up for a snowboarding group along with the skiers in March. So perhaps Butterfly, could add that to her thread? I don't know whether it would just be fun or with lessons (I know some really good snowboard instructors) - add your monika to the list! Very Happy I don't have that much time to sit and look at the view TBH, because I've been so busy with the DIY and so on. of course if I can't scare up a bit more work next summer I may not be in a position to enjoy it at all. Sad Sad I don't earn nearly enough in winter to last from May to December without significant income. Sad

Brilliant, clear and sunny this morning. I'll maybe take a photo later when I go up to the town if I remember my camera.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I couldn't take a photo on Sunday because the battery went after I'd been up to the town, but I took this view of l'Y yesterday evening on the way home. Very Happy I had this really nice view of the 'Venosc mist' at about 07.15 this morning, so I went photo mad and took that one too.

Yesterday I went to a Tourist Office meeting when they presented their plans for publicity in the autumn. The most interesting figures though were that last winter we had nearly 1.5 million person nights, which is roughly 212,000 person weeks. This sound like a lot, but (if my maths work) is only an average of 10,500 odd people per week of the season. Averages being what they are (and all the figures are rough rounding up), apart from the high season weeks, that means that the hill is working well below capacity for the most part = no queues! Very Happy

the other thing I thought was interesting was that the Brits are now the biggest group of foreign visitors (it used to be the Belgians), however the French still account for 51% of our business which hasn't changed for a while.

I don't know if any of you are interested in this sort of thing, but I thought it might just shed some light of other aspects of your holidays. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski,
Although it's great for queues, isn't the fact that the hill is working under capacity bad news for the local businesses?

I have done a few weeks in L2A in my youth (late 80's, early 90's) both winter and summer. Reading your threads, I remember some bits of those trips and how I enjoyed the resort...
More and more feel like coming back. If I do a week with th lads this week, I might "steer" us towards L2A..

I wonder where I'll seat in the stats then, as a French living in the UK? Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, I am a researcher, so we look at tourist statisitcs like this, very interesting! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, nice light on the venosc shot (if that's the one with the blush on the mountain top). would love to hit the mountains in the summer, but i'm saving hard for the winter. as kruisler said, when "the lads" are in discussion i think i'll add L2A to the list.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler, I'm afraid to say you'd probably be counted as Britannique, I think it's the place of origin rather than the actual nationality. It's changed a lot since you were last here - expect to be very surprised if you haven't been since the early 90s (when I first came here). Deffo a good place for a lads trip! rolling eyes I'm not sure that it's all that bad for local businesses, more for the ones that don't do the job! Most of the winter season it seems busy enough in the town, and this summer it's been hopping all summer with the mountain bikers. It's just quietening down now in the last week.

Peter Ross, I'm glad

rogg, Yes - fantastic light - dawn really as the blush is the first rays of sun hitting the summits about 1½ hours before we see it on the plateau. Yeah - go on - try us!! Very Happy Very Happy

as I was leaving to go to a meeting I saw these parapentes over the Pied Moutet, so I popped back into the house and whipped out a couple of photos - I thought they looked really pretty all flying together. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, Lovely big bird pics, makes you really want to give it a try, don't you think ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Amazing, amazing pics!

I love your thread easiski!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowaddict, thank you.

clare mcbride, I like the idea, but I've never really wanted to actually do it!

Nice day again today. Pic of the Diable. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Went up today, it was good, also very hot in the village. I have lots of photos which I'll post tomorrow. Very Happy
snow report
As I said, I went up yesterday. Really to get my skis, but I thought I might as well have a little ski at the same time! Very Happy I can't remember when it was so good at the end of the summer season. Although there had clearly been some crevasse repairs in places, and there was a bit of ice peeking through, for the most part it was exceptionally good. It was also virtually empty. I got up there about 11.00 and skied for just over an hour. Very Happy Very Happy

firstly I took a pic looking up to the Lauze from the top of the Puy Salie T bar:

then I took one of the Dome Sud from the bottom of that T bar:
latest report
After a little linger on that side of the glacier and when I was able to ski down this section which is normally finished by early-mid August: (at the bottom)

I then went over to the north side and took a pic of the Dome Nord looking up from the bottom of that lift

and further over of the Muretouse as per the others
snow report
finally I took the classic pic from the terrace of the resto looking up the glacier - looking a bit grey, but this was at 12.30

I also took a pic of the pretty patterns in the glacier that the crevasses make
snow conditions
for those who've expressed an interest in such things I've added some photos of the ongoing work. A fair bit has been done since my last pictures a page or two ago. top of the Thuit below and 2 views of the 'escape from the Fee' run on the right.
snow conditions
easiski, Great photos again , Thanks. Very Happy I take it the glacier is closing for a couple of months, do they just leave it as it is or do they keep working on it so it's well prepared for the next time it's open. Is there a lot of problems with crevasses this time of year, I take they are only small on not those really big gapping holes. Shocked Interesting to see how the landscape has change both on the glacier and the remodelled runs, the last photo looks like it might be a very scary off piste run.

Looking at the snow and ice gives me some comfort as we are having very tropical weather at the moment , it's almost like being in a rain forest. Mad
snow report
Headplant, It depends on the glacier. Here the crevasses run from bottom north to top south (roughly). When the snow bridges weaken long thin slits appear. If they're big enough they bring in a digger, dig a big round hole where the crevass is and then fill it back in again. this does make for rather icy bobbles for a day of two, and a small depression in the piste - that's how I knew they'd done it.

The last photo (Combe du Thuit) is actually where they appear to be making a rather flatter entry into the red part of the gully .... above the road is Rachas which is nice off piste but rather avalanche prone. To the right (out of shot) is the off piste bit of the Thuit that I've photographed on more than a few occasions.

Work continues in the inter-season on maintenance and remodelling etc. We open again for 9 days of the Mondial on 25th October. We then close again until 29th November when we open for the winter season. They don't actually piste in the interseason.

BTW guys - this evening I was waching 2 eagles hunting above me and over the Venosc valley. naturally, as soon as I came in to get my camera ...... the bu**ers vanished! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Quote:

the bu**ers vanished!

don't you mean bustards, easiski?
snow conditions
pam w, If they hadn't been so big I might have thought they were buzzards! Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski, there were a couple above the Lauteret towards La Grave in July, I have got a photo of one of them, but it was too high to be clear.
snow report
easiski, Enjoying recent pics very much, but do you have any pics of L2A way back when it was a village for the mountain people, before it became a ski resort ? l don't mean pics taken by you Toofy Grin
latest report
Great pics & glad to see you were able to enjoy some very late summer skiing.
ski holidays
clare mcbride, I'm not that old! First skilift was around 1949 I think. First hotel about 1951. I wasn't born until 1952! Shocked Shocked

It's a lovely day today, and as I drew the curtains I was thinking how horrid it is to have to go back to the UK tomorrow. There's a nice view from the spare room at my dad's place over Bath and the other side over a man made hill (not Silbury but I don't know it's name), but it's not the same is it? I'm getting homesick already. rolling eyes Also, it's so nice and quiet here in the interseason. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, What l really mean is, l understand you didn't settle in L2A til 1998, l'm interested in seeing pics from say 50 or more years ago Smile Ski lifts are necessary but ever since reading the Heidi stories l can imagine how beautiful the villages were before the metalwork.
latest report
easiski, how long are you in Bath?

clare mcbride, I loved Heidi too!
ski holidays
Easiski, thanks for all the reports, pics and interesting things you've shared with us this summer.

I hope you have a safe drive back to the UK tomorrow.
ski holidays
clare mcbride, When you're here in December I'll take you to the shop where the old photos are - remind me. However the photographer (now dead) didn't get here until just fter the war.

Butterfly, about 7 weeks Sad I'll be contacting snowskisnow to organise a get together at Gloucester dry slope one weekend as usual, so will post about that on the snow events forum.

snowaddict, thanks - I always dread the drive that way - not so much coming home though! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thankyou for the reports. Cool

Have a safe journey.
snow conditions
lampbus, cheers. Back in Bath now and just got the internet sorted. Had to get a 15m ethernet cable though to do it - wifi just not playing! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
easiski, Thanks for all the photos and chat through the summer it's been great. If you are intending a meet up at some point as suggested above I would love to come along and say hello. Very Happy I hope you have access to a raft as I think you may be here for the monsoon season. Sad Laughing
latest report
Headplant, Keep an eye on the snow Events forum. I'll post the date in there when I've had a chance to sort it out with the various others. Gloucester is a nice slope in a wooded area and quite 'ski feely'. also nice terrace for coffee and chat!! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, dry slope Shocked Shocked - it HURTS bigtime if you fall over there surely? I will maybe face the fears and come if free though but my weekends get so booked up! Sun 21st Sept seems to be my only really free weekend day this month Shocked !
latest report
Butterfly, Why would you fall over???? You should really give it a go. We need to keep our dry slopes open. Imagine.... the novelty of the snowdomes has worn off; hardly anyone goes in the spring and summer; will they stay open? I doubt it. By then many of the dry slopes will have closed due to lack of business and we'll be stuffed with nowhere to ski ... I know it's a bit gloomy, but I could see it happening.

Much more likely to be in October rather than September though ... perhaps you could combine the trip to see your sister? It's all int he same area. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, A little too far for us to travel Sad We have just booked our tunnel crossing so will see you out there instead Very Happy , will arrive in LDA on the 20th December (Saturday) and leave on the 3rd Jan (Saturday) Very Happy Just under 15 weeks to go Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
R32, ours is booked too, we are leaving it until the 27th Dec to go out this time, returning on the 10th.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy