Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French resort for intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all we are 2 adults and one 16yo who have skied for 4 years and enjoy reds and blues. We have stayed at Risoul in the last 2 years and like the compactness of the resort, easy to navigate etc. We have stayed in self catering where we could literally ski out and ski in to within about 5 metres. This year we would like to try a different resort but feel overwhelmed with the choice and at the scale of some of the ski areas. I've been considering Les Houches but am concerned at the low altitude as we will go 1st week in January. Can anyone recommend places that might meet our requirements please? Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs would fit the bill. Lots of reds and blues, plenty of self-catering accommodation which is ski in/out, a good British ski school, high altitude but also offers skiing below the tree line if the weather is bad.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tonyledger, did you go to Risoul in early January too? Hubby and son spent a day there last winter and really enjoyed it.
Serre Chevalier should suit you fine. Plenty of tree skiing if the weather closes in, and open sunny slopes for nice days. There are British ski schools in Monetier-les-Bain (Eurekaski) and English speaking instructors in Villeneuve. Accommodation is not always ski-in ski-out, as the villages are proper ones rather than resorts, but will only be a very short distance from the lift if you choose carefully.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tonyledger, you could try La Rosiere, have a look at www.tracksvacations.com for information about our chalet and the resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tonyledger, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tonyledger, I would second rob@rar's suggestion ... Les Arcs would be a good place and there are various different places to stay depending on what you want - not much night life in any of them though. Other places you might consider would be La Plagne, intermediate paradise according to some although I prefer Les Arcs, and I don't think La P is particularly easy to get around. Flaine might be a possibility as it's reasonably high and you can stay in the main bowl if you like but it also has various satellite villages to explore. I'm sure there'll be loads of suggestions for Austria as well - it can be very hard to make a choice! Good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go along with Les Arcs. I'd also give Alpe D'Huez a look. Hard to fault, Flaine, too. I'll refrain from suggesting Austrian or Swiss resorts - well - you did say France. Your choice of course. Any reason?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd suggest Les Deux Alpes too. Plenty of reds and blues right up to the top at 3600m so you can't get much more snowsure at that time of year. Definitely doesn't tick the ski in/out box though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tonyledger,
Welcome to snowHead

I will go with my usual suggestions. First week of january has relatively unreliable snow though most resorts should give some skiing. Finding accommodation is never a problem and last minute bargains are the norm. I would wait and see where the best snow is and decide a week or possibly less before you go. I have not been to Risoul but by reputation it offers good value and is fairly inexpensive. With the rise in the Euro some of the Tarentaise resorts in particular may seem expensive. Low altitude is not necessarily bad sometimes early season the prealpes get better snow than the higher alps.
If Iwas making suggestions other than the ones suggested Montgenevre, Val Cenis, Serre Chevalier, Morzine may all meet your expectations though in all honesty most French ski resorts that I have visited with good snow should satisfy those looking for decent red and blue pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tonyledger, courchevel has a lot of great varied blue and red skiing... oh and welcome to snowheads... snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all and thank you for your great suggestions I really appreciated it. The reason for France is that we intend to drive. As my son is now 16yo he no longer qualifies for free/cheap child places on package holidays so putting together the travel, accommodation, passes etc should work out cheaper this way. I'll investigate all of the resorts recommended. For beginners and early intermediates I would definitely recommend Risoul and has the bonus of being good value and very quiet. A long lift queue is 2 minutes! Balcon de Sirius is good apartment accommodation and is truly ski in ski out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tonyledger,
1st week of january there is a large oversupply of packages and you may well find that you can get cheaper deals last minute than driving. You shouldn't find lift queues anywhere unless there is a shortage of snow which forces everyone into a small bit of the resort, it is usually very quiet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If there is snow, does it make a great deal of difference which resort you choose? Afterall the object of the trip is to ski and every resort has a hill therefore if it is/has been dumping I would suggest giventonyledger, requirements most resorts fit his bill, no? And if ski in and out is a high prority then you need to look at the higher purpose built areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd suggest any of courchevel, La Plagne/Les arcs, Alpe d'Huez or Serre Chevalier. I wouldn't reccomend LEs Hoches. I've skied at all of these resorts bar Les Arcs. Les Hoches is a lovely small ski area but its low. If snow conditions are very bad its too low to be snowsure. If there is too much snow Les Hoches can be the bolt hole in the Chamonixarea for tree lined skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Montgenevre

http://www.montgenevre.com/

http://www.go-montgenevre.com/

http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=41&desc=Montgenèvre
ski holidays
tonyledger, said -
Quote:

The reason for France is that we intend to drive.

There are roads to Switzerland, Austria, and Italy as well! No offence, but it is really no problem to drive to places other than France. We have been doing some costings for driving next winter, and it is cheaper to drive to St Anton or Ischgl (not that those are necessarily suitable places for you) than most French resorts, even the Dolomites is a similar cost, as for France it is toll motorways all the way.
ski holidays
Quote:

for France it is toll motorways all the way.

yes, the tolls do add a significant cost and with four or fewer people the cost of driving versus cheap flights (which you will get for the first week in Jan) and hiring a car is finely balanced. There are extras like snow chains, which all add up. Depends a bit on whether you spend a night en route and, if so, how much you spend. There will be lots of cheap packages.
snow report
Why did I get the impression this was for New Year week, and not the following one?
latest report
We're looking to go for the week beginning Sat 3rd Jan. We'd take our own car so no need to hire. I'd thought France as there seems to be little in the way of self catering accommodation in Switzerland or Austria but if anyone knows good resorts there that do ski in ski out in self catering with lots of reds and blues that would be useful to know.
snow report
tonyledger, have a look at www.ernalow.co.uk for apartments in lots of resorts.
ski holidays
tonyledger,
Many Austrian and Swiss resorts have a fair bit of self catering. Easiest way of finding it is usually via the tourist board. The quality of accommodation is in my experience a fair bit better than the French average. Ski in /out is far less common as most of the resorts are non purpose built. Do you really need it if you are taking a car though?
snow conditions
http://www.tiscover.at/ seems to be quite decent for finding Austrian accomodation too.
ski holidays
tonyledger, try Valmorel - pretty and great for lower level skiers. Not too expensive compared to someof the other resorts and also it is not a concrete jungle that the French are so good at. Smile
ski holidays
Only a small minority of French resorts are concrete jungles. tonyledger, you could try Les Saisies. Compact resort, quite a big ski area (180km) mostly red and blue. Plenty of apartments to rent where you can ski to within a few metres of the door.
latest report
tonyledger, welcome - another vote for Les Arcs

In terms of driving, is an easy drive to all main resorts in France. Can do it in 10-hours, assuming no hold-ups, at a legal speed. Approx £70 each way for tolls. But if you have the time would recommend a stop over Friday night, can usually get to resort at lunchtime then and have a relaxing shop, collect skis etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy