Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used Marker Duke for a long tour

Poster: A snowHead
I am condidering a long tour but have Vokl Mantra with Duke set up which i love, Have only used for periods of 1hr skiining . Reluctant to spend on kit i will use 1 week a year max.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markyb, I'm not a tourer but I would have thought the only issue with the Duke's is the weight, although if you're planning a lot of downhill then their skiing performance should more than compensate. A bigger issue would be whether you'll be doing your long tour in alpine boots?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
basically all the minor gripes are more of an issue if you go for longer tours and the better skiability becomes less of a counterbalance:

1. weight is the big factor (you'll be pulling more than 1kg per foot more weight than your buddies with dynafits and lighter skis)

2. the fact you can't adjust heel lift without taking skis off is more likely to be a nuisance

3. the fact that you can't go from ski to walk mode without taking skis off might be an inconvenience (although the same is true of dynafits)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't be happy being roped to somebody who had to take there ski's off everytime the needed to adjust there heel lift.You'd properly upset everyone else off on the tour aswell if you couldnt keep up or skin fast enough due to having unsuitable equipment.

You may also even be refused if the guide /s ? thinks you would be too slow or a danger to yourself and others.ie removing your ski's on a glacier or steep or icy exposed climb to adjust them in any way !

Sorry but it's a no no from me wink I'd say get the right gear and you'll enjoy the trip a thousand times more !

Mark
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Topsmoke, You don't have to take off the skis to change the heel elevation but do to change from ski to climb, can't see a situation where this would be a problem if you were roped up, other than traversing a glacier in a white out and skiing roped.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Suck it up and ski it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you must be a lot more flexible than me! (or maybe it's not quite so far from your hand to the heel lift thingy Wink )

Topsmoke, i think you're going a bit far there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:

Topsmoke
, i think you're going a bit far there

Yes maybe wink

I just didn't like them when I looked at a set in Val T at the end of the season.I just thought they were way too heavy for multi day touring instantly and didn't pay much more attention too them then passed them too John the Swede.I knew you had too remove the ski to do something just couldn't remember if it was for heel adj or ski mode (Cheers Smallzookeeper) .

2. the fact you can't adjust heel lift without taking skis off is more likely to be a nuisance

I seem to remember the heal lift was pretty low also.
However if anyone can skin for 5 hours a day on these day in day out at a good pace then fair play to you Very Happy Your a lot fitter than I or most of us will ever be.

Sorry but still a no no just too heavy for me on a hut to hut tour Sad

Regards Mark
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for this i have checked with Guide who has no problem with the kit but good advice. My overiding decision is one of cost. another trip and suffer and get fitter or lighter skis and bindings. Suck it up and ski more me thinks.

But i do need new boots rather than start a new thread what's the thoughts on Garmont/Scarpa Freeride boots. Compromise or worth considering.

Thanks Snowheads always good
Mark
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Topsmoke, Do you put/take off your skins whilst your skis are on your feet?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
markyb, Why not rent another pair for a week ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Small zookeeper no i am not experienced or flexible enough to remove skins with skis on.
i love my Mantra's (finaly found ski that makes me smile all day) and renting is a cost i would always try to avoid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
markyb,

SZK fitted me with some Endo's which can a beefy boot IMO... especially if you rack up the booster strap. The G-fit brings the boot down to about 2000gr and the ISO sole makes it even lighter than the Vibram. I don't know how this compares with other many AT boot's weights but it was a nice bonus after using Alpine for so long.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Topsmoke, Do you put/take off your skins whilst your skis are on your feet?

I saw a video clip of skiers in the Patrouille des Glaciers doing just that...amazing Very Happy

Reminded me of leg waxing wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, so are you using your Endo's for all your alpine skiing as well as your touring? If so what alpine boots were you in & how do the Endo's compare in alpine mode?
snow report
spyderjon,

I use the Endos' as my sole boot... wink Laughing and the idea was to be able to scamper or boot pack to not easily accessible places (I don't envisage multi day touring so don't need to think about a much lighter boot or the Dynafit way, IMV. These are good weight, I think) I got the Endo idea when I followed a telemarker over terrain that was a bit.... well, worrying and he coped with it very easily. He is more used to walking this high terrain anyway, but I felt the sole of an alpine boot wasn't the greatest, particuarly over rocks...!!!! And when the alternative like the Endo came along and I needed new boots..or maybe just wanted a change... I researched it and saw them as a good way to go. I thought I would want to be on the Vibram sole all the time but as I hire skis a lot, I thought no harm having both. I used the ISO sole with Naxo and FR+ and it does have a weight saving over Vibram...very noticable when held in the hand. I haven't used the Vibram in anger except at MK...ha ha..and the Vibram sole is deeper so makes alpine binding fits a bit hit and miss.... another reason for the ISO sole at this time.

I used to use x-waves...9 or 10, I am not sure, and I found them a boot that rubbed my feet on our little treks. It was a standard off-the-shelf fit...and not bad..but no comparrison with the G-git which is lighter, more comfortable and I feel, has a performance advantage ...but they may just be by virtue of a custom ..and better...fit.

I haven't used the boots on really hard pistes yet...and there must still be a degree of getting used to them, but I like the boots a lot... the weight and the stiffness are good, IMV. I am not one for using a stiff boot just for the sake of it when most of my time I need a more forgiving boot for what I do... I can't see the point of a race boot which may be stiff and have comfort compromises unless I need that through gates...which I don't. I have spent too long in boots that aren't comfortable...for whatever reason..to want to go down that route again...

I want a nice solid fit..which I get with the G-fit..and a flexing boot. The Endo isn't floppy, IMV..far from it... so I think I have most things covered. The Endo is a much better boot for me than the X-wave..which might be 4 seasons old or so. Once I rack up a few more weeks, I think I can improve on a few things and make few more break-throughs.

I will dedicate a few days to hard piste skiing in Decemeber and then I will know more about where they can help me. Or just learn to ski them..Laughing
ski holidays
markyb wrote:
Small zookeeper no i am not experienced or flexible enough to remove skins with skis on.

It is pretty easy to do, I tend to do it especially on glaciated terrain. Often you don't want to stop at the summit if it is windy so it is handy if you want to quickly ski down a hundred meters or so to picnic - or you are in a hurry (like you've got to go to work later).

You can also go from ski to walk mode with Dynafits without taking skis off although you need to be careful not to break your bindings. For ski touring use there is no skiing advantage to Marker Dukes and they will be like divers boots around your feet. If you are happy climbing at 200 m / hour and 1000 m /day that may not be an issue. But they are not a touring binding but rather a binding you could tour with.
snow report
Thanks for all your advice. I am going to buy the Endo's. I am off to L2A for Chritmas i am going to do one day with my Dukes rent some touring kit for a day and compare. Confused
Before embarking on long tour in spring.
snow conditions
markyb wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. I am going to buy the Endo's. I am off to L2A for Chritmas i am going to do one day with my Dukes rent some touring kit for a day and compare. Confused
Before embarking on long tour in spring.

Good idea Smile Where are you touring in the spring ?
One more thing ! Start training now wink

Regards Mark
snow conditions
markyb,

Get the G-fit... the only reason not to, AFAICS...is if you want to walk about in the liner in the huts.
snow conditions
For any prospective SH wising to put a G-Fit in their current Rando boots, i can sell you a pair for £50 +P&P, Normally 150€

Little Angel
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, hmmmm... might have to take a few pairs of those (the missus X2) and me a pair, plus I need new Tele boots, when is a good time to come over? (Ie when do you get the BD boots?)
ski holidays
Topsmoke
at the time of my original thread i had not decided what tour but have checked out the various companies and decided on the verbier route of the haute route which makes Matra's and Duke a no no.
so what ski? I want to use the Endo's so Daimir explorer binding. I like the look of The Black Diamond Zealot or the Movement red apple 74. Any others i should consider.
Thanks
Mark
snow conditions
parlor, Sorry bud, we're not doing the BD tele boots. Otherwise, November
latest report
markyb, I'd guess the Zealot is too wide... think BD Voodoo or maybe Havoc, Stockli pit light, Dyna 4800 but I like Movement so the Red Apple sounds very good as well.
Ask your guide but most of the skis above are from 74mm to 88 ( Havoc, I believe ).

The Stockli is great, IMLE, very very light with Naxo'z on it.
ski holidays
markyb, the Red Apple 74's ski just fine. Very capable on piste and light and nimble when elsewhere Very Happy
ski holidays
markyb,

How strong & fit are you as this makes a massive difference. In terms of weight saved, you may be talking 500-1k. You need to consider that 1 kilo per leg is nothing for a stronger guy compared to a weaker guy.

Haute Route also is not the easiest long tour to start with, not only because the skiing can be somewhat tricky but more because it is well haute! often 3000m+

As you already have a day trek downhill touring set up mayb ejust hire the ski's and bindings for the haute route. Personally for Haute Route i quite like the look of the Mount Baker Superlight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy