Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Anniviers - bigger than it looks?

Poster: A snowHead
Been looking at this area for a possible family trip, and although it is 'small' by most accounts (a two star for 'extent' in wtss for example) it looks like the little separate areas are close enough to drive around - which we don't mind doing at all - and add up to a decent amount. Crans Montana looks only about half an hour away from St Luc too, which would occupy another day or two. Adding all that lot together gives an overall piste mileage which is far from small.

Anybody care to comment? What's it like getting around the Val d'Anniviers by car in Feb? Chains required, roads closed, nightmarish, ...?

And as for the combined area - given that I'd just as soon drive for half an hour as spend half an hour on lifts, which is the usual way of exploring a 'proper' 'big' resort - combining the Val d'A resorts with C-M gives a total of about 360km, which looks pretty decent!

Should say it's a mixed group ranging from timid early inters to 'go anywhere pisted' types who aren't as good as we think we are, probably Smile but you know the sort...

So, anybody want to steer me toward/away? And is the V d'A lift system as bad as I imagine?

Cheers, p
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once you've driven the "interesting" bit of the road up to vda you might reconsider whether Crans-Montana is a short hop away. Can't speak for the pistes but the whole area is absolutely terrible for offpiste wink

This gives a bit of the flavour for the area including the interesting drive

http://www.zapiks.com/_red-bull-hike-and-ride-1/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, Crans Montana paired with Aminona would be more suited to your party. C-M alone would keep your group occupied.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
C-M is south facing and piste oriented and the Swiss love it for that reason....or rather if the conversation we had with a Swiss national was typical. Rated it better than Verbier..but god knows what his criteria was. It wasn't remotely the same as ours....Laughing

VDA.. the road up isn't good at all. and getting between Zinal and St Luc is more of the same. Grimentz to Zinal is ok by road and I guess It depends where you base yourselves, but the road to Verconin and St Luc is ..err...fraught... The valley is typical for its steep sided vallees and the roads haven't progressed or got much wider than farm tracks.... Laughing a bit of an exaggeration there, but you get the jist....NO FUN DRIVING to some places. You would need a prepared winter car, IMV, to be sure of getting about. You might need chains just to get up off the main St in Zinal, if your accom is up the hill. Logistically not good... although the skiing makes up for it. If 360kms matters to you, then look elsewhere..... that best feature isn't the pistes either. North facing gullies is another thing... but you better like them steep.

Opps...!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great feedback, thanks all. We're pretty adventurous, but maybe not quite adventurous enough for this - as far as driving goes at least!

We're looking off the usual beaten tracks because of being limited to the Feb half-term by the way... makes planning a trip to satisfy a very mixed group rather tricky for muggins here...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio,
You've also got to not mind t-bars to really enjoy val d'A which early intermediates are not always crazy about.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, is anyone...?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not casting aspersions on yourself though, obviously.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio,
I'm cut to the quick. wink

Actually if off piste is what you are after surface lifts have a big advantage in as much as their capacity is low and prevents hoards of skiers going for the same area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We, the two 'decent' ones in the group, are a bit off-piste-averse, really. Tricky genuine black pistes - bring it on, but off-piste scares us a bit if I'm honest Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, I don't think you need to be adventurous to enjoy VdA, the driving isn't that bad & it's not at all crowded at half term.

We made 3 trips this winter & regularly drove down the valley from Grimentz to Sierre. In summer it takes me 20 minutes, in winter 30 minutes. The drive between Grimentz & Zinal takes 8-10 minutes. In winter I reckon it would take 1 hour to drive to CM (I did it in 45 minutes in the summer).

I wasn't looking forward to the drag lifts, but they aren't as bad as the ones in Serre Chevalier for instance.

I would certainly recommend the area at half term.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well that's a big spanner in the works, ssnowman, thanks Smile

See to me, an hour commute by car to another resort is way preferable to some longish commute via lifts and uninteresting pistes - as I've done a few times. An hour is nothing, I'm not scared of an early morning and a beer-free luncheon.

But those roads.. seems a unanimous opinion that they suck? Given that our road transport will likely be a bog-standard Focus from Holiday Autos, sans chains...

We were thinking of planting ourselves in St. Luc, by the way, to be as central as possible - plus it looks the easiest spot for the numpties in the group... Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, All the trips I made were in a Holiday Autos hire car and they all came with snowchains & winter tyres as standard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssnowman, you may be pleased to know Serre Chevalier has got rid of most of its drag lifts. Not sure how long it is since you have been.

paulio, I'd far rather ski boring pistes than sit in my car.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, I was there this January and yes it was a lot better. I have manged most of the drags there in the past but there was one that twice lifted me 6 feet off the ground. I was willing to persevere, but the rest of the party decided to give it a miss after watching me Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I know that sounds a weird thing to say, and I exaggerate a bit I confess, but I've definitely suffered some tedious gondola commutes that have been less enjoyable that ripping a car round silly hairpins with the stereo up loud!

What I meant was that lift-linked isn't the be-all for me, and I'll gladly press the car into service to get to some new slopes.
snow conditions
paulio, I did encounter 8 people in front of me on one lift at February half-term Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well, the quietness sounds right up our street - hate crowds. Though judging from your sig, ssnowman, you might not be entirely non-partisan. Toofy Grin
latest report
paulio, Yes, I supposed I am a bit biaised.

Vd'A certainly won't suit everyone, if you like large linked purpose built resorts, where the amount of piste you get under your belt is the main criteria, then Vd'A isn't for you.
snow report
Well it's still in the running, might even be in pole position if I go on snowhead response - my similar Sella Ronda thread is attracting nowhere near the level of interest!

Genuine thanks for all the useful info so far, all, both +ve and -.
snow conditions
paulio,

Haven't stayed in St Luc but I like the area a lot. You could say that about the whole valley and the road up from the Rhone only serves to keeps visits down....which we like.

St Luc is builft on a steep hill so position might be a factor... as the walk up would be tiring. Cars aren't encouraged to drive and parking isn't so great. Most of the cars come in from other areas. We always drove from Zinal around the hill...did not go through Vissiore...and there are buses but didn't really want to bother with them.
It may well be inconvenient on the 3 or so days we went to St Luc but it wouldn't put us off.

It sounds the best place for you to stay would be Grimentz or Zinal... the former being the most central to Verconin, Zinal and St Luc. You might even consider a SC chalet down in Ayer or Montec as once you are home or in the car... it then makes no difference, IMV. Then the chalets become very good value out of th main villages if you are prepared to cook. For a first look at the valley, Zinal is pretty compact...but the village reaches up the hill 200mtrs vertical so being up the top will need the car even if you go to the Zinal CC which only gets queues at ski school time, ie 9:00-ish. It would be better if the car had winter tyres rather than chains as you could..potentially..be forever putting chains on and off.

Piste-wise..there is some good fast ( very.. ) cruising but not so long..hence the compactness...it means in Zinal you will always be able to hook up and almost see everyone ...Grimentz is larger and more spread out..as is St Luc/Chandolin. Verconin is a bolt-hole in the trees for dodgey weather. I wouldn't bother with C-M myself as there is plenty to find in the area.... and our much intended excursions to other valleis never materialsed either as we had so much fun in VDA. Piste-wise it is fast and fun, Off-piste is your lobster..Laughing

The blacks into G and Z are steep and icy...or can be...that might bother some people

Don't go there, its cr@p snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
St Luc has a good ski bus service serving the resort accommodation. This cuts down the need for driving. Visitor parking is pay and display. St Luc is better for mixed groups as there is funicular access and good on-hill facilities, with some wooded runs on poor vis days. It has plenty of drag lifts. As Switzerland does not go in for Green grade pistes, there are no "easy" routes. The piste grading in Val D'Anniviers is IMHO lower than those of Crans Montana, meaning that a Red slope in the Anniviers will demand your attention. All of the Anniviers resorts are served by free skibus in high season. The commune wishes to discourage car driving inter-resort to cut pollution and damage to the environment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy