Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body Mechanics #2 Pelvic tilt

Poster: A snowHead
docsquid, BASI have had a thing about this for many years. Have you tried explaining your body shape? A (black) instructor kept failing his Grade 1 for hollow back, no matter how many times he tried to explain to the trainers that it was his ethnic body shape, they insisted on the 'right' shape. Eventually he went out and bought a small cushion which he stuffed down his trousers - he passed and they never knew. (True story). I would hope that 20 odd years on they'd be a bit more enlightened, but if it's uncomfortable, a baggy jacket and a small cushion might help you too. Not Normal, has it spot on. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Rob funny how that looks quite similar to a Moto GP racer taking a bend.

skimottaret, When I learnt Kung Fu they always advised sucking the pelvis into the core and openign the chest, I think it was about teh strong stomach and back muscles being brought into action greatly aiding stabilisation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
did some more reading up on this subject and it sounds as though that a too hollow back can block out effective up down flexing and cause a back seat position when skiing. Also interesting was at a recent boot alignment session i needed substantial heel lifts which i believe would indicate i have a naturally hollow back. Of course there are lots of issues specific to each individual and generalising is a dangerous thing to do but it does seem to tie up with my problems and physiology.

I broke my back as a youngster and it healed oddly, so i am suspicious that this has been causing me problems with my skiing. (he says searching for any excuse for bad technique wink .. )

I am no expert on this and could be wrong but find body mechanics quite interesting. Smallzookeeper do you have any recommended texts or sources of info on skiing body mechanics?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A pelvis tilted upwards, which produces a rounded lower back, allows the femur to rotate more effectively
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpine Logic, 100% agreement, and great to see some advice from you A. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpine Logic, ls there not a danger here of over stretching the lower back muscles Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A rounded lower back should not be thought of as a " a position ". A skier needs to be able to move from foot to foot quickly, absorbe shock, rotate and incline the legs, and maintain stability. A comfortable mobile state needs to be maintained all the while the skier is moving. A comfortable relaxed lower back ( ie pelvis tipped upwards seen as a rounded lower back ) allows this to happen. What ski instructor should encourage and show is a comfortable, useful shape that is constantly changing as it absorbes the forces inflicted upon it by the turning skis and the resistance this creates.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpine Logic, Thankyou for putting this so well and so clearly, l partly knew this but have to be reminded many times before it's part of me. lt makes such sense, no one position is it, as is the case with all sports. Used to horse ride every day, just the case then. Folks l know who strive to ride in a fixed position suffer from back problems as do their horses. Sad Will write your piece in my Ski Diary, take to next practise, next holiday. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clare mcbride, One of the problems is often that as some instructors try to get students to 'assume the position' the student tries too hard and ends up stiff and rigid and looking like a little robot. As a rider, you may have some issues with the lower back being a little too straight, but one can get over it. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, you're spot on, when we've grasped the next "new bit" we do it with all our might to the exclusion of everything else, aagh, need to drink more, turn up the music. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I haven't read all this thread, but this shape is taught as the landing shape in gymnastics - it is a more stable shape and certainly engages the core muscles and glutes, and I would say it probably protects the back to some extent. I have never been told to tilt my pelvis whilst skiing, but it is something that I do try to do anyway. Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, re: reading material on biomechanics. The best book I have come across is 'skiing an art a technique' by a French skiing professor called Georges Joubert. This book is old now (70's I think), but the mechanics of the body don't change, however of course what we ski on has changed a lot.

Joubert was coach to Jean Vuarnet and developed the 'egg' or tuck position with him in the early 60's. The books translation from french is not brilliant, but its good enough (there may be a better translated version now as my copy is quite old now). However I'm not even sure if its still in print as I had to buy my copy from Canada a long time ago, it just wasn't available in the UK. BTW Joubert used to have major arguments with ENSA as they didn't like his ideas, so his ideas, at that time and possibly now were not included in their national teaching system.

During his career Joubert took literally thousands of stop action pictures of racers and high level skiers to prove his ideas, there are a load in the book. The 'Skiers Edge' by Warren Witherall is good too - and newer! mid 90's I think and talks also a lot about skier alignment issues.

Could be that there is a newer more up to date text out there that covers these areas must admit I haven't looked.

Regarding 'pelvic tilt' I have never taught it as I felt it was making people assume an unnatural position as the spine is naturally curved in different places when we are relaxed so forcing it into another position would cause unneccesary tension as well as being 'unnatural'. After all when we ski we should use our bodies in the best way we can related to our natural build. Doing otherwise takes us back to the old days of learning techniques rather than skills e.g feet locked together, turning our chests to face the valley etc. We should do what is biomechanically sound not assume a global 'position'.

However poor pelvic position is usually caused by poor postural elements at the other skiing joints, so normally its a case of improving those areas which then helps out the pelvic area. I think the pelvic tilt issue has probably arisen from someone sometime seeing a position they didn't like (pelvis downwardly tilted) and not seeing the root cause of the problem they tried to adjust what they saw at that point of the body, rather than in the area that was causing the issue. The idea then gets picked up by others who accept it for what it is without questioning it and start spreading 'the gospel'. Sliding the leading tip forward at the beginning of the turn is another example of this it probably started as an excercise to correct a over hip rotation issue and then started getting taught as 'the way to ski'. I've seen this a lot in ski teaching.

Something I got told once (a BASI trainer I think) was that downward pelvic tilt blocked freer rotational movements of the legs. I'm sure Joubert has an angle on this, but can't remember exactly what it is Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno wrote:
I haven't read all this thread, but this shape is taught as the landing shape in gymnastics - it is a more stable shape and certainly engages the core muscles and glutes, and I would say it probably protects the back to some extent. I have never been told to tilt my pelvis whilst skiing, but it is something that I do try to do anyway. Confused

Me too - just a little, not to exaggerate the tilt - simply because it helps me to engage those muscles. Shouldn't be surprised if most skiers who have done some Pilates (or similar) would say the same.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skir67, thats funny the "reading up" I had done about bio mechanics last month was the Joubert book you mention. I found a second had copy on amazon when looking for texts on body mechanics and skiing. I read it on a flight and thought it was probably the best book on skiing i had seen and was assuming that there would be further texts on skiing biomechanics over the last 30 odd years. I havent found anything other than medical texts which are too expensive and probably not what i am after.

I will have a look for 'Skiers Edge' by Warren Witherall, thanks for the tip.

and you are right Joubert said a downward tilt blocks rotational movement. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think that "skiers edge" is by Ron Le Master (v good book, too) and the Witherall one is called "Athletic skier".
snow conditions
pam w, Indeed it is - and agreed - brilliant book.

skimottaret, you need a copy of Skiers edge. It does seem to get name-checked here fairly frequently.
latest report
stoatsbrother, i have the skiers edge, it is a good book and quite technical if you are after that sort of thing and pam w, just ordered the athletic skier on amazon thanks for clearing it up.
snow report
pam w, stoatsbrother, Hi, yes your right about the book name sorry for the misinformation, memorys going in my old age! rolling eyes
snow report
skimottaret, witheralls' original text from the early 70's "how the racers ski" was the basis for the athletic skier, it was one of the first if not the only text written about skier balance and alignment and whilst come of the information given is somewhat out dated much of it is still used.... there is a destinct lack of good text on skiing biomaechanics
snow conditions
CEM, You and smallzookeeper and notnormal have stressed how important bio mechanics and alignment is and it is funny how little info is out there and that the best stuff is decades old...

My little session with Andy was illuminating to say the least and I would like to learn a bit more, any good links or sources of info you can recommend? I need to be able to spout some more jargon to the beginners i teach and show off to my fellow OCD ridden pedantic snowHead ' wink
snow conditions
if you can find anything on the david McPhail bird cage experiments it makes good reading, i don't have a link handy but i will try and find it for you
latest report
try http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=45073 or http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=43914

you may need to be an epic supporter to access those links
snow conditions
CEM, thanks for having a look but i dont appear to have access... no probs Will have a read of the athletic skier. I am just looking for some basic info at this point...
snow report
CEM, oh god no, those experiments only re-enforce the role of the ankle in skiing Laughing
snow conditions
veeeight, not sure i get the joke here but the only david mchPhail i have found writes childrens stories... which wouldnt be far off given the current vandalism of a few threads. Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, no, no joke. David MacPhail and Steve Podborski (ex WC Crazy Canuck) did these experiments in the 90's on Blackcomb mountain, I teach alongside many of those that were involved in the experiments, and they have shown me over the years the many graphs and traces of Steve's skiing, the role of the foot and ankle, his amazing ability to produce repeatable razor sharp ski tracks that didn't converge nor diverge (lets not go there), etc. However, despite this, today, many people still remain uneducated and still believe that the key to good skiing is to clamp you foot as tight as you can inside a ski boot and eliminate all movement of the foot.

http://www.canoe.ca/SkiCanadaNov00/macmillan.html

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 15-09-08 19:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
veeeight, i will have a search using MacPhail as opposed to McPhail Laughing Just thought with all the childish tantrums at the moment CEM was poking a little fun wink

info is really sparse on this topic though and instead of worrying about physics the body mechanics stuff is much more relevent and interesting to me. being the geek that i am... Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret, Yes Jouberts book is great even if it is old, I think I'm going to dig it out for a good read again, have you read the super-techie notes at the back? It certainly isn't a 'beach book'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skir67, yeah i got stuck at Stansted for 4 hours so it was all i had and read most of the techy bits. The biomechanics stuff was real interesting with a lot of lightbulb moments but definately not a beach read...
latest report
veeeight, i worked with Sophie a few year back...when she used to have an open mind Little Angel
snow conditions
CEM Little Angel

(she's now Sophie Roberts) Laughing
snow report
veeeight, not as in gareth roberts
snow report
somehow, i really doubt it Wink
ski holidays
veeeight, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Greetings all;

My thoughts on back posture while skiing tend resonate around the practicalities and sensibilities of shock absorption (which involves the ability to manage and apply pressure, sudden or otherwise, to/from the ski.)

Which posture would be best employed, to avoid injury or strain, if you were to jump off a wall and land neatly, in balance, on your feet?

At least one version of posture I have read about on this thread, I feel, potentially facilitates unwanted injury to one or more parts of the jumpers back - both muscular and skeletal.

Incidentally, the jump from the wall doesn't have to be high to cause a muscular/skeletal problem if posture on landing is all wrong.

One last thing. I don't think of posture as being fixed. If it were, we'd certainly tip over once the terrain undulated. Posture should be thought of as something that is dynamic. When skiing or even in other sports, it is always being adapted to varying degrees, consciously or subconsciously, depending on our body shape, skiing style, and ability - no matter which type of posture we claim to start out with.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy