Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda accomodation help

Poster: A snowHead
Am lumbered with half-term again, so having to be creative with destinations (i.e. not France).

Dolomites look nice, but we always self-cater because we're 'on a budget' (i.e. pikeys).

Mixed ability group, so can any snowheads recommend any cheap s/c accomodation in somewhere like Arabba or San Cassiano. Ideally we'd be somewhere drivable to other nearby bits and bobs (like the Kronplatz) and I don't really know the geography of that area...

There'll be about 8 of us. Last year in La Thuile the accomodation was about 1000GBP total for the week, which is about what we'd like to spend again.

Anyway, apologies for the broadness of the question, I'm in the early stages of planning this one. So anybody got any self-catering Sella Ronda tips for me?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a caravan park in Corvara! wink Still doubt whether you would get that for £1000 for 8 persons, or is that £1000 per person?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£1000 all in, not per person. I said we were pikeys, not millionaires.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi paulio,

We haven't skied Sella Ronda area yet, but after visiting several times in the summer are determined to go there next winter, but from our research I don't think you'll find accomodation on the linked circuit for that sort of money. If you are prepared to stay near a small ski area, driveable to the Sella Ronda you could find something cheaper. This campsite we have used in summer also has apartments etc that seem to be as reasonable as any we have found - it is right on a piste in a small area, close to Canazie'

http://www.campingvidor.it/eng/index.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobinS, Agreed not a hope of finding accomodation for the the group for that! You wont in VdA either! Maybe a place like Bansko or other eastern european resorts may have better options on price point, but will not give you the beauty of the Sella Ronda.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That kind of price point is what is usually managed for s/c in other Alpine resorts I've been.

Last year, for example, La Thuile for 8 people came in at under a grand for the week (Feb half term)... Have done similarly priced s/c in other places too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, is your budget with or without flights? I agree you can easily rent an apartment for 8 provided you do not expect luxury.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really though I was as clear as is possible about this... I guess not...

Sad

Accomodation only,

The more basic the better - luxury is of no interest to us, so long as the cooker and the toilet are in different rooms, that's enough for our requirements. The question was just to see if anybody had any recommendations in the area for cheap s/c apartments - as such things are tricky to research (usually involving local tourist offices, and phoning people up and speaking in Italian and stuff), it wasn't supposed to be an invitation for loads of sneery remarks about caravan parks and Bulgaria!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobinS, that place looks alright actually! Maybe just a TAD inconveniently placed, but amazingly cheap.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, sorry, I thought that was what you meant but others possibly didn't. I know you will be able to obtain accommodation for that price, but others are blinkered and see only package holiday prices. Have you tried www.holidaylettings.co.uk www.holidayrentals.co.uk and www.ownersdirect.com for starters. I did try myself last year to find suitable s/c accommodation in the Dolomites, but it was not as easy as finding an apartment in a more mainstream resort. I did find this one http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p26984?uni_id=111367#unitamenities but have no idea of it's location or distance from the skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, thanks very much!

We always do things as independently as possible. Prefer to put in the effort and afford an extra trip, rather than line a tour op's pockets...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, as do I. ONly problem was we liked the independent thing so much we ended up buying a place of our own rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That one you mentioned, Helen Beaumont, looks north-east of Brixen, so a bit out-of-the-way, but maybe worth a punt at the price - cheers. We will have cars after all... TBH we can go double that cost for a little more convenience - it's ludicrously cheap!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will get SC in most French resorts for £1000 but at the place I am aware of, half term week rents at €1500 for 5 persons. Amazingly enough it rents out quickly, assumed that is the norm. Good luck though and let us know how you get on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a perfectly reasonable question, so stop it with your nettlesome answers please, Mr. Hockley. Although it does increase the thread's post count. All publicity is good publicity and that.

Anyone else?
latest report
paulio, It is is it not!!! A reasonable question but doubt about your expectations, I will add however that once you arrive in the Sella Ronda you will find things cheap!

Your problem will be getting an apartment for 8 at that time of the year for a very low price, sorry! It is an area I am fond of and you will have a blast but your expectaions are IMO are out of kilter with that kind of resort/s. You may find something in a large French resort that has apartments as you have found in the past.
snow report
You could self cater in Mayrhofen for that easily enough, assuming availability.
snow report
Ghost Dog, and already have, on a previous trip...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy