Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rate this skiers ability

Poster: A snowHead
Dwarf Vader, I've reduced the file size to 790Kb using Windows Movie Maker without too much loss in quality I trust wink

I still have the original if you think I've gone too far.

Would you like your name changed over there as well whilst we're at it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yoda, Thanks a lot, I was going to do it this evening but I have only just got in. Smile

The names fine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda, was there any quality to lose?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a rating for someone who has been on snow but not necassarily on skis for ~10 years I give:

10/10 for effort
7/10 for style
10/10 for attitude

Overall 9/10 snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kristof, that doesn't sound like the Russian judge's rating.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, now don't start me on Zen and the art of file manipulation........ Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, the Russians gave 10's all round (back handers do work) but strangely the French gave all 0's??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok I've come clean it's me.

Cross posting from the snowboarding forum:

I wrote:
To clarify, I learnt to ski in the late 80's at a fairly young age. I last skied on snow in '96 and since then had been once (in '9Cool to a dry slope. Then I learnt to board and that was that. However, I was spending an hour and a half at Chill Factore whatever and the slope is so flat that on a board I might have been requesting a tow! OK that's an exaggeration but if I came across a run of that length and gradient anywhere else I wouldn't put a turn in so given the park was shut I thought what the heck lets give skiing a go.

I had never skied on shaped skis before, last time I think I was on 225cm thin things, I had no idea what size to go for and asked for 170's but the woman gave me 160's as they didn't have any, I'm 6ft 2. The boots were horrific, she was going to give me size 11 (this comes from their height, weight and feet machine of magic) I asked for and got a 10. Length ways they fit fine I could feel the ends but wasn't rammed into them. However, I have fairly narrow feet, doing the toe clip up to maximum didn't make the boot feel tight even though the shell deformed, in fact I could move my feet side to side in them with all the clips done up as tight as possible. After two runs I began getting cramp in my right foot so loosened one clip, this got rid of the pain but didn't help me feel secure.

The video is my final run, it's a big improvement on the first: snowplough, looking at the skis, almost crossing tips, weight over my heels. Given what I could do 12 years ago I think with a day in resort and a private refresher lesson I'd be up to red/black standard. However, this is unlikely to happen as snowboarding's just so much more fun. We decided to post the video anonymously for a laugh, unfortunately despite the quality I was still recognisable.

A few other thoughts: drag lifts are easy on boards but so much easier on skis, I know this is hardly breaking news but what I mean is how the hell do people fall of that lift on skis? Especially in a way that means it stops running for 5 minutes. I'm a boarder and I have more of an idea on ski sizing than the rental staff there! The rental kit really is rubbish. The lift pass scanning system is truly appalling, it never read my pass first time and a few times it took over 10 goes to get through the turnstile. Unless you really have specific drills to practice domes are incredibly dull.

The big question would I do it again well if I go to the summer ski test I don't need a new board so perhaps but just to keep it interesting wink

So any more comments? Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, so originally you were a skier? who saw the light? and there by the grace of God go I Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, Comments? I think you looked better in the dressing gown.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charli939, I looked better out of it NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly,

Whoever put you on 225's..?? even 205's sound too big, unless you were about 16st plus then...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, if they were early foam-core cap skis, from the days when no one yet thought to make the foam structural, and to manage the cap profile along the length, then it is easily possible.

I remember Salomons that would have been a very soft 218cm, (and sized for 13st 6-footers!), if they hadn't come up with Power sizing to actually match flex+length without separating the two to the skier's size. (A stiffer Power 8 ski would be shorter than a softer one).

Some of the early MBX Elans - ugh! even 215 was too short for me then, at 6' 12st
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, Couldn't possibly comment on that... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex,

I remember Salomon's power ratings.....just don't recall anything that long. Smile
ski holidays
Swirly, More comments? No change to my above: imo your road to progress would include better gear and modern instruction, or be limited to the moves cited.

Might be a good time to take up telemark as well as you've no fakeamark habits.

I honestly never read the snowboard forums; I am glad that we haven't been talking about a skier who didn't know about or consent to his video being available for comment on snowHead .
ski holidays
JT, I was relatively young (I'm only 26 now) then and didn't have the knowledge of ski/board construction I have now, I assumed it was because I was tall and skied pretty aggressively on pretty much anything probably due to the age and no fear then. Interestingly I read recently that men don't fully develop risk awareness until 25 ish (I don't know how true this is) which would explain why I get so scared now!

comprex, no worries I don't know when I'll next go on skis it was mainly to see if I could still do it and the video was posted on here for a laugh. I only posted in the snowboard section as the guilt was so great wink

rayscoops, I thought you knew that, I also thought you recognised me in the video.
latest report
Quote:

I read recently that men don't fully develop risk awareness until 25 ish

are there (m)any ski jumpers over 25?
snow report
Swirly, no, but no hard feelings, and it is good to be able to do both, just surprised you have not skied a bit more
latest report
rayscoops, I just really really prefer being on a board, it's also worth pointing out that a lack of money stopped me doing either from 2000-2006. I suppose one thing I can thank my ex for was getting me back into it.

Yoda, a fair point Eddie the Eagle was 24 in Calgary but he did try to qualify for the 92 and 94 games so I guess he went on a bit longer. Hardly your typical ski jumper though.
ski holidays
Swirly, You would not have been using 225s in 96 as a 14 YO. We forget how much smaller we were as kids.
snow report
rjs, you'd have thought but I was. I was 6ft by the time I went to secondary school and I'd stopped growing by the time I was 14. I doubt I can prove it though so you'll have to take my word for it. It's possibly one of the reasons why I want to have a go on the radical surf, that and it just seems like a crazy board.
latest report
I've seen much worse skiers than that. You're certainly doing a lot better than most of the skiers on here would were you to put them on a board. Laughing
snow conditions
Swirly, The only skis available of that length would have been race DH boards.

I can believe they were taller than you, but not that long.
latest report
Swirly, mate, there's is no way you were ever on 225s. No hire shop in the world would give them to you even if they had then without convincing proof that you were going to be averaging 60 mph. And I only know of 3 hire shops in Europe with anything like as long available. And one of those will only lend them to me as cos I'm a chum.

Unless you were learning in 1936?
ski holidays
Renry, you don't seem to have received any comments (maybe it would indeed be best to start a new thread).

I'd say you're doing pretty well for 3 weeks on skis. In particular, you don't seem to force your turns by turning your upper body first (although it does follow the skis' path rather than facing more downhill through the turn). Pretty quiet upper body overall, action is more focused on legs which is where it should be IMV.

Obviously many things to work on, but an easy one would be to focus on holding your hands in front of you (and hence higher). It would help you achieve a better balanced and more dynamic position, amongst others.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an instructor, not an expert, just an amateur with a few years of experience).
snow report
horizon, I think he did start another thread - I think I made some comments and the thread got quite lively.
latest report
horizon,

Here it is, I believe

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40114
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy