Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rate this skiers ability

Poster: A snowHead
I bumped into this mystery skier recently, He claimed to have been on the slopes for over 10yrs. What do you think?

Mystery Skier
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="Dwarf Vader"]I bumped into this mystery skier recently, He claimed NOT to have been on the slopes for over 10yrs. What do you think?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dwarf Vader, I hope thats the first time you have used that camera Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey if i skied like that i'd claim not to of been on the slopes in 30 years at least and then i'd say i'd was not very competant in the first place.
wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones, It's my phone, and yes I don't know how to zoom,focus etc. I just use my phone to speak and text 99% of the time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps he's spent 10 years decrying the benefits of instruction/coaching and thinking he can improve just by watching and supposedly copying other people he sees on the slopes Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Infinitely more stylish than when he's mincing about on his tea tray Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, Looks pretty bored to me.... so I don't take it as gospel that this the way they always ski...

roga, Don't you know people who have spent 10 years in lessons and still ski the same...?

I don't know many people who have spent 10 years pushing themselves and have stayed pretty much the same.. but I can think of a couple who haven't pushed on as much as they would want..and as their peers may have, really depends on quite a few things.

Pretty stupid and lame comment of yours in itself...probably fishing, I'd say.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader, I can believe 15-20 weeks with absolutely no problem.

Look at what that skier is doing well: arms are quiet and mostly in the proper place, upper body is fairly still front to back, skis' path is fairly independent of chin path, pole plant timing is mostly sorted, gaze is downhill instead of down at the snow.

JT already touched on this, but the skier doesn't look like they remotely feel challenged by the terrain.

I tend to be a little gear-centric when looking at these things but let's suppose that the skis this person is on are not suited to slowish snowdome speeds. At "10 years'" experience it would be frightfully tempting to pick skis and ski lengths suited for general mountain use rather than a snowdome. Let's further suppose that the boots this person is in contribute to the back seat problem. Would we really expect anything else? I think no, not much, not really.

Without instruction (or a major gear change) this person could get better at picking up the inside ski more smoothly and with smaller jerking motions. This person could then possibly get better at riding the edge of the outside ski smoothly and therefore get better at skiing ice. I expect this person has already skied some powder and with some satisfaction, but probably hates moguls.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
Without instruction (or a major gear change) this person could get better at picking up the inside ski more smoothly and with smaller jerking motions. This person could then possibly get better at riding the edge of the outside ski smoothly and therefore get better at skiing ice. I expect this person has already skied some powder and with some satisfaction, but probably hates moguls.

Is it me?

*goes to watch*

Phew, thank goodness, it's not me. MIght have been though Shocked Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
I bumped into this mystery skier recently, He claimed to have been on the slopes for over 10yrs. What do you think?

Mystery Skier

What does that mean though? 10yrs x 1 week per year, I could believe that. He seems to be stemming a bit in places and skidding the backs of his skis too much for my taste. I would say he's on the intermediate plateau. Still you could say the same about me Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As well as sliding at the end, he dissects his turns - not a carve in sight. If I bumped into him and he was interested in progressing and asked for an opinion, I would suggest that he work on his rhythm.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just get a blank screen when I click on the thumbnail. ?????
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did not realise how big/slow the download was. Thanks to all for persevering with it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just get a blank screen with some music, then the video pointer gets to the end, and it stops.
ski holidays
The server will probably struggle at busy times with a file of that size (16Mb for such a short clip - time to learn how to convert formats young Vader wink ) Best to right click on the thumbnail and save the file locally for playback Madeye-Smiley
snow report
JT wrote:
roga, Don't you know people who have spent 10 years in lessons and still ski the same...?

Nope Laughing
Quote:
I don't know many people who have spent 10 years pushing themselves and have stayed pretty much the same.. but I can think of a couple who haven't pushed on as much as they would want..and as their peers may have, really depends on quite a few things.

Like pretty much everything in life I guess!
Quote:
Pretty stupid and lame comment of yours in itself...probably fishing, I'd say.

I know nothing about fish I'm afraid, although I have eaten some, never caught one myself though although I've watched people fish - am still totally clueless about fishing though Very Happy

And here's me thinking this was a slightly tongue in cheek thread when all along it's about fishing and raw nerves... silly me Little Angel
latest report
ski snobs wink
snow report
comprex,

Yes, valid. The hire skis at these places are pretty poor indeed, IME, so I guess the boots would be on the same lines.

And I hope this person has a sense of humour about lots of people commenting on his 'style'..and at least hope he knows it is out there.
It doesn't look like he was trying too hard or it was his best effort.

A boarder would explain things.
latest report
Dwarf Vader, the picture quality is pretty blurry but although I don't recognise the skiing style I think I recognise the skier. Is that possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?
snow conditions
I personally don't give a shite, if he was having fun then fair play. this place is weird sometimes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Am I the only one who thinks there's more to this thread than meets the eye? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
barry, he certainly was having fun, I'll point out again, he has NOT been on skis in 10 years
snow report
Looks like a boarder trying out skiing. Long'ish turns should have been OK but for a real laugh you should have asked him to do short radius turns.
snow report
kristof wrote:
barry, he certainly was having fun, I'll point out again, he has NOT been on skis in 10 years

Erm, isn't the original post this (that's rhetorical because this is precisely what it says at the moment):
Dwarf Vader wrote:

So he has "been on the slopes for over 10yrs" no NOT anywhere or are you and Dwarf Vader the same person or something and just trying to confuse the hell out of everyone, or are you two different confused persons who are just trying to confuse the hell out of everyone or are you... !?!?????????????
Charli939 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks there's more to this thread than meets the eye? Toofy Grin

Trying to confuse everyone being one thing that's meeting my eye right now but methinks you may be right! rolling eyes
latest report
roga, permission to confuse you even further (I was there too as an innocent bystander):

They're both correct the skier in question has over 10 years experience but hasn't been on snow in over 10 years. I'll also reveal they are (were?) a prolific poster on snowheads. As to who it is I couldn't possibly say but I'm sure they've seen this and are interested in people comments.
latest report
Swirly wrote:
the skier in question has over 10 years experience but hasn't been on snow in over 10 years. I'll also reveal they are (were?) a prolific poster on snowheads.

...and joined the SCGB in 1962, and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of rear-entry boots, monoskis and avalanche cords? Wink Laughing Laughing

(Edit..well actually no, I've met the man with the prehensile avalanche cord and he's not the man in the vid)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 2-06-08 16:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Swirly, if this skiing is based on technique as taught in 1990, and not practiced since 1998, then I absolutely have no problem believing the experience claim.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While were rating skiiers ability, have a look at me here.

3 weeks on the snow.

1st day of my 3rd week on the snow. (first skier down)

http://youtube.com/v/WHvAuUMJGJU

The steep section was a bit 'pants' (im not the one eating snow)

http://youtube.com/v/Rc0ZvP_yGdU

Looking a little more composed at the latter end of the week

http://youtube.com/v/FbxIEwLfhfc

Ive never realy had any feedback on how im doing.

Should I move this post to start a new thread as I feel I have jumped in on the original post a little bit (sorry)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 2-06-08 16:31; edited 4 times in total
snow report
Now I'm confused, 'cos despite the blurry footage I thought I knew who it was...
ski holidays
never been to one of these internal ski dome thingies and looking at the snow being kicked out on each turn made me think about moguls - do they develop through out the day ?
ski holidays
Yoda, You are the master. TBH I did not check the file size after i converted it from .3GP as I assumed it was small. Doh

My first post
Quote:
He claimed to have been on the slopes for over 10yrs

It does not say in what method or capacity.
snow report
rayscoops, Depends how many boarders get on it NehNeh

because chill factore is new the "snow" is fine and light so it does kick up a bit as I found out following PhilW turn for turn.
snow report
Swirly wrote:
roga, permission to confuse you even further (I was there too as an innocent bystander):

Well I got it wrong, I though that it was you Swirly rolling eyes
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:

It does not say in what method or capacity.

So he was a piste basher in a previous life? Shocked
latest report
Nick L, how very dare you! Me on skis, preposterous, splutter. Where's my lawyer?
ski holidays
Is this not you on the right?

latest report
Nick L, no if you look closely he's in a Chill Factore jacket. I can afford my own clothes.
snow conditions
Renry, you looked pretty athletic; I agree, better off starting your own thread.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
Nick L, no if you look closely he's in a Chill Factore jacket. I can afford my own clothes.

Yep... its true.... he can... I've seen pics of the dressing gown with my own eyes... Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy