Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flooding

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are some reports in the Serre Chevalier thread about the flooding but I just thought I'd post some pics from the local paper

This is Lanselbourg in the Haute Maurienne
intemperies-debordements-torrentiels-et-coulees-de-boue-en-haute-maurienne-en-savoie-une-vallee-les-pieds-dans-l-eau

la-nature-se-dechaine
Tignes

tarentaise-tignes-sous-surveillance

l'Arc

http://www.ledauphine.com/intemperies-le-point-dans-la-region-@/index.jspz?chaine=26&article=26386

http://www.ledauphine.com/le-trafic-franco-italien-interrompu-@/index.jspz?chaine=26&article=26515

The Frejus and Mont Blanc tunnels have been closed as have many of the mountain passes between France and Italy.

http://www.ledauphine.com/file/ftp/unes/2008/05/30/U73_1-102790630.T-x.0529222124.pdf

les Abries

crues-et-pluies-torrentielles

Serre Poncon risked bursting its banks

serre-poncon

Embrun etc

http://www.ledauphine.com/les-crues-en-images-@/index.jspz?chaine=24&article=26446

http://www.ledauphine.com/intemperies-@/index.jspz?chaine=24&photo=25336

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-06-08 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, Nasty - very frightening. We had our own minor problems in Somerset but not due to meltwater! Its all this additional energy in the atmosphere
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More energy = more evaporation from the oceans = more cloud = less sunlight getting though and increased albido = earth cools down and new ice age Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool pics.

They need some global warming to dry it out a bit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought this was about torrential rain, not meltwater? I also thought that most snow evaporates, rather than melts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder what my kayaking friends will make of this, they're off in a couple of weeks Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, still an awful lot of snow lying on the tops though, and being washed down by the rain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly wrote:
I wonder what my kayaking friends will make of this, they're off in a couple of weeks Shocked
Perhaps they should check out http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/ for up to date information then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, no doubt they will have, the ones I know are very experienced and I'm sure they'll find other stuff to do if the rivers are a no go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, some guys on there from the area post regularly. I have posted a couple of times in the last couple of days after emails from kayakers looking for alternative accommodation to their washed-out campsite.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Nicholas, it's not meltwater, it's constant p!ssing rain. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully the sun will come out soon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
forecasts for our area of the Alps are for heavy rain as far as the eye can see. Our lodger just got back, muddy and fed up, from the flooded Sunrise festival in Somerset - and her son who works in Hong Kong says it's pouring down there, too. I blame Gordon Brown, personally.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, just trying to picture Gordo on skis............... Embarassed

Naah....... he's a looser, and so must take personal responsibilty
latest report
pam w, Gordon Brown is personally responsible for everything wrong with the modern world.
ski holidays
Meanwhile, here in Scotland it's been a notably, extremely dry month. My weather station has recorded just 5.5 mm of rain in Moffat for the whole month of May and the rivers and burns are running as low as I've ever seen them.
snow report
moffatross, you mean I've moved all the way to the Alps only to have Scotland's rain follow me here? That's just rude.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
moffatross, you mean I've moved all the way to the Alps only to have Scotland's rain follow me here? That's just rude.

Toofy Grin .... No, no, not rude at all. It's maybe a little 'rough justice' meted out against youse fondu-chomping yodelers by the Scottish weather gods in envy of the Alpine snow record. Maybe in fact, as someone mentioned earlier, Gordon Brown is to blame. He was born in Govan and might just be a deity in disguise ? wink
snow report
Hailstones the size of eggs in the Jura

http://www.emotionjura.com/edito.html
ski holidays
Friends have just turned up in Val Cenis to find that the hotel they're supposed to be running is under five feet of water.

What's going on? Shocked
snow report
We were sat in the garden yesterday afternoon with glorious sunshine and temps in the mid 80´s. A few hours later we had very heavy rain / hail. Maybe the weather machine needs a service.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Meanwhile, here in Scotland it's been a notably, extremely dry month. My weather station has recorded just 5.5 mm of rain in Moffat for the whole month of May and the rivers and burns are running as low as I've ever seen them.

I've just returned home from a week walking in the Fort William/Glencoe area. I struggled to find burns that had enough water for me to safely drink from...a problem I've not come across there before.
snow report
I was in Aviemore last week and enjoyed lovely weather Smile

Hope it's not been too bad in the Tarentaise - a couple of years ago the storms led to a foot of mud and water in our underground garage in Les Arcs, which had to be pumped out then scrubbed Sad
snow conditions
Hail in toulouse

http://youtube.com/v/dWfQKZzcCQU

http://youtube.com/v/hzwU6D21HqI
(from 2 weeks ago but impressive)
ski holidays
Makes our downpours here look positively benign!
snow report
And now ...... the sun's out!
ski holidays
Lizzard, not for long, rain due to start in about ooooo 10 secs!

our whole valley is still on red allert. I drove past serre poncon last week before going to england for a few days. There were no beaches and the whole thing is just an awesome sight.

the rivers are still closed and there is not much hope of them opening for a while.

met a kayaker on the plane. WE gave him a lift here to meet his friends. lucky we did really as they're not here and he has no where to stay. Good job he met me cos he's got a bed for the night now. Hes hoping ther rivers will be open soon.

this is not without its tragedies. WE have lost 2 locals in the rivers. One, an expert kayaker who was pursuaded by another kayaker to take him in. They both died. the other local, my sons best friends dad, went to take photo's last monday of the river. They found him in Guillestre on saturday. Truely a very very sad time here.
RIP to all three of them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh quelle surpise................

thunder, lightening and tons and tons of rain!

here we go again
snow report
snowangel., sounds like it is more dangerous out there in the summer than the winter Shocked
snow report
snowangel., what sad news to hear. Hope no more fatalities occur.

Hope the bad weather and river levels subside soon.

Are many properties at risk of flooding?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy