Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades are great fun.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
buns, when I bought them skiboards.com were the only source that I could find for releasable bindings plus over one metre boards. They claim that their prices are competitive and I have no reason to doubt that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks like there is alot of confusion about the bans..... Vail deny it and seem to be saying that the use of the term 'skiboard' instead of snowblade is the confusing factor..... so maybe no need to worry after all!

ad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great fun, I always use blades at least one day of the holiday. Never at the beginning of the week as I find that it makes you lazy and harder to return to the longer planks. Had a bad experience last year when our guide went off piste. I felt a fool and totally boll....xed, fell and fell but was lucky as my partner, a Norwegian, says that it is a tradition in Norway that when you fall over if someone from the opposite sex helps you up you get a kiss.

I am looking forward to a vast amount of wipe outs this year!! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been struggling with skis for 6 years, just never got over the fear of being out of control, (and yes, I've had plenty of lessons) so tried blades back in the UK at Castleford Snow Dome. The instructor there was dismayed at my defeatest attitude and said "if you use blades you'll never go back to skis" to which I replied "and therefore...?". It seems there is a stigma attached to them as you're considered not to be a "proper" skier by those who feel sking should be about teqnique rather than fun! I was even told they were "girlie", but as a 51 year old woman I took that as a compliment!. Well the blades were fantastic and for the first time I actually had control over where my feet were, no crossing over of the tips on the turns and I turned when "I" wanted and "where" I wanted. I too was worried about the reports of broken bones because of the non release bindings, so bought the Head Big Easy 99cm (that have traditional ski bindings) and in 2004 they were selling out so fast they were hard to get hold of. Now I see that Brigham's are selling them too. I used poles still, because on the flat areas they don't glide quite as far if you are already going slowly like me! My only criticism is that the wider Head Big Easy don't feel as much like extensions of your feet as the narrower ones do, but some things are worth sacrificing for satety, and don't forget the French use short skis in their Ski Evolutif system to start beginners off. Even the downhill pros that I watch on Ski Sunday have shortened their skis over the years, so I guess longer doesn't mean better!! For anyone who has found that the buzz has gone out of skiing a little, or they never quite come to grips with the fear/anxiety/panic of being out of control and the resulting lack confidence that creates, try Snow Blades (or Ski Boards as the American's call them) before you hang your boots up! And yes, it's cheaper to buy them abroad, but don't import them, the tax on arrival nearly doubles the price. There are loads on ebay at the moment too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns wrote:
I found www.skiboards.com last night..... looks like a nice website for anyone new to it (me I mean!).

No one has really mentioned the safety of these.... would I be right in assuming that blades with releasable bindings must be safer than non-releasables?

Did anyone else notice that blades are being banned in a number of resorts? Vail being one.....

Ad

That's not something I've noticed! I was guiding a bloke on skiboards (that is the generic name, "Snowblade" is Salomon's model, like "vacuum cleaner" and "Hoover", or "ballpoint pen" and "Biro") just last week - at Vail and Beaver Creek.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It appears that the rumours of bans were unfounded in vail at least..... the difficulty, as you point out, is the terminology. Most shops still call them snowblades (it took a number of emails before even the ski school I was in contact with managed to work out what a skiboard was). Anyhow, there are bans being put in place on some things, but skiboards are not one I have read.

ad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had a month on blades now and have come to the following conclusions: expert skiers don't bother. They won't give you anything you can't do on skis and they are not as fast or as stable at high speed. But skiers up to intermediate level can get great satisfaction from them especially in bumpy mogul fields and on compact icy steep slopes which are very difficult on skis. Because of the technical skills involved in skiing many people find it hard to progress and some may even want to give up. With blades, however, one can reach a good level much faster and be able to ski all pistes regardless of their conditions. Skiers can become bladers without much difficulty, bringing to it their skiing finesse such as carving. However, people who have only ever been on blades look much less elegant as they have not learnt the basic skiing skills and often look very unstable and out of control. I can soon spot a non-skiing blader on the piste. However, those of you who just want fun and enjoyment and never intend to or be able to become top class skiers, will find blading a good choice.

Incidentally I am nearly 49 and my wife nearly 53 and having both come to skiing late in life (mid forties) we now love blading and will possibly never go back to long skis.

Martin - 5.12am? Are you a party animal?

Sharon 1953 - My wife has just bought some Head Big Easy's and agrees with all your comments.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chris wrote:

Notice Martin's in Vail (5 hours behind UK?). The displayed time depends on your own timezone settings under "User Facilities/Profile" top left. I have Martin posting at 04:12 GMT so it was 23:12 or earlier where Martin was.

[Edit] Just looked it up, Vail is Mountain Time -7 Hours from GMT. So Martin posted at 21:12 (should be 9.12 pm in American Wink). The question's valid anyway, is Martin a party animal? Wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thread title is right - great fun. Very Happy

Four of us were in Courchevel last week, and three of us used blades one day. First lift up, Verdons gondola, we're all just chatting away, reach the top station, all bring our stuff out of the gondola, but a few minutes later, one of us said: "I've left my skis on the gondola!" Embarassed

So, three of us were carrying blades, inside, the fourth with poles inside, skis on the outside rack. All carry stuff out of the cabin, and one realised his skis were still on the rack, too late to pick up. Had to wait for the gondola to come round again. so he caught us up after about 3/4 hour!

I think things have started to improve, but we found the snow worn & full of stones. This was not height-related. We found good snow was mainly man-made, including down to la Tania. Best snow was on Allamands in Les Menuires.

Dodgy snow, great fun week! Madeye-Smiley Thanks for the fun, to Douglas, Dave, & Ian.

Derek
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pete Horn wrote:
chris wrote:

Notice Martin's in Vail (5 hours behind UK?). The displayed time depends on your own timezone settings under "User Facilities/Profile" top left. I have Martin posting at 04:12 GMT so it was 23:12 or earlier where Martin was.

[Edit] Just looked it up, Vail is Mountain Time -7 Hours from GMT. So Martin posted at 21:12 (should be 9.12 pm in American Wink). The question's valid anyway, is Martin a party animal? Wink snowHead

No comment.
I'm not sure if we're allowed back into Buffalo Bills in Whistler yet...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiboards (NOT blades, that's pinching a salomon trademark!) are indeed a blast! If a novice skier like me can pull spins, jumps and ride fakie within no time at all, anyone can!

Ad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buns. Glad you enjoyed them. Did you try them on moguls?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did indeed! Im a newbie to the snow so have never managed anything but falling on my ass with skis through moguls, but with the boards they are a real thrill, in fact id go so far as to say that Id much prefer a mogulled slope to a flat one...... that is of course assuming they ar moderately sized moguls, the enormous great big ones still are causing the old falling down syndrome!

Ad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm in the anti-board camp I'm afraid. I'm not anti other people using them, they're just not for me. I wouldn't class myself as an expert skier by any means, more an intermediate who is still learning and progressing. I've no doubt that they do make moguls easier, but the only way that I've learnt to do moguls is by forcing myself to do them on long skis, and making a complete balls up again and again until I've started to manage to do them with some style. If I had an easier option then I think that it would be too tempting to take it, and so not progress so quickly. Also I'm starting to go off-piste more, and I don't think that ski-boards are very good for that. For me skiing is a combination of learning and progressing onto new challenges, as well as the time spent enjoying myself mucking around on the easier stuff. I also find that the more I learn the more that I enjoy myself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy