Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest 2 week summer resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I need to 'get away from it all' asap, and am looking for a 2 week holiday skiing (maybe longer) - anywhere - as cheap as possible, and as soon as possible. Can anyone recommend appropriate resorts? I live in England, so I guess the cheapest might be in Europe but then again maybe there are cheaper places outside of Europe that compensate for the extra travel costs?

Help much appreciated

Jody
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There aren't many places where you can ski in Europe in the summer - just on the glaciers, which open at various times, and with relatively few runs open. Mostly people who ski on the glaciers go for race training, or ordinary lessons, or as just one activity in a wider mountain holiday (with walking, climbing, mountain biking, swimming, etc etc). There are a number of threads on glacier skiing in Snowheads, if you do a search. Les Deux Alpes is the only summer skiing I've done - it was great fun. We had lessons with easiski, a resident English instructor there, who comes highly recommended. There's masses about LDA on this forum.

And welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

If you want to go a bit futher afield the season in New Zealand is just beginning...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just saw on the Tignes thread that their glacier skiing opens 21 June.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Pam, very helpful! I think New Zealand it will have to be then. No need to speak any French for a change which would be nice (Not that I speak French but you know what I mean!) I'll look into Tignes but I think paying a bit extra to go to NZ will be worth it, as I'm only really after the skiing.

And thanks for the welcome Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jodyflorian, If coming to LDA and wanting to do it very cheaply then you have several options. Do you have a tent? Do you like camping? If you have a tent there are a couple of campsites down at Venosc (you'd need to drive down of course). The main one is quite posh with a shop, swimming pool etc. but further up the valley at St Christophe is a little 'proper' campsite without major facilities which is very cheap. Very pretty area. this is deffo the very cheapest way of doing things.

If you don't like camping there are cheap apartments available if you don't mind being cramped. Many of the teeny apartments (12-14 sqm) are rented in winter to seasonal workers and are empty all summer. They're basic, but you could get something really cheap for sure. Probably not through the usual channels though.

the lift pass is always going to be the most expensive item (nearly as expensive as winter), but does come with lots of added extras like tennis, summer luge, golf etc.

We open on 14th June - much cheaper than going to New Zealand! Shocked Your first post did say as cheaply as possible. Shock
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,
Quote:
Many of the teeny apartments (12-14 sqm) are rented in winter to seasonal workers and are empty all summer.

where/when are these advertised for winter use?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
also, New Zealand tends not to be very cheap because you have to have a car (can't generally stay right near the slopes, like you can in Europe).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jodyflorian, i think theres someone on here looking to do a cheap trip to chile this summer . . . i think its in the trips forum, have a bit of a browse and see what he's up to. I'm off to Chile and Argentina this summer but the trip is anything but cheap lol
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, I think you have to ask! Probably at the Mairie who do stuff for saisonnaires accommodation. I'm not in LDA at the mo, but am going home soon (next weekend - yipppeee) Very Happy Very Happy so if you want I could put some feelers out. Let me know by PM
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How far is the camp site for the lift to the glacier?
if it's better to use a car for this daily journy can you park near-by?

--thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about a tour of the UK artificial slopes? Unlikely to be that cheap, given the price of hotels in the UK, but you won't need to spend lots of flights/transfers. A review of many by the same person could be useful!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
110 meters (approx.) is the longest at Chill Factore in manchester, takes like 10 turns to get down. Gets very boring after 30 minutes...
Hotel in UK is like 30-50 quid a night. Camping in Tigne or l2a is 5 quid a night. or in tigne you can get deals for a week in an apartment and 6 day ski pass for 200 euros. Cheaper to go away Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

user
Posts: 5How far is the camp site for the lift to the glacier?
if it's better to use a car for this daily journy can you park near-by?

Its only a five minute or so walk but that can be roasting hot in ski kit, wearing boots and carrying skis. There is a car park at the bottom. Also, when you do arrive up in resort from Venosc, the Venosc cable car is a further ten minutes or so walk from the Jandri Express (summer uplift to the glacier from the centre of town). Need to be fit and not get flustered in the heat - good summer tip is trainers in a rucksack as a longish haul up in the cable car too in summer to get right to the top.
Agreed though, very nice campsites there and L2A buzzing in summer. Looking forward to it myself as going to spend our first full summer here for quite a few years! Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy