Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Alpine Level 2 Instructor/old BASI 3

Poster: A snowHead
Some info please out of curiosity.......

For those of you that have already done the L2/old BASI 3, which resort did you take your L2/old L3 course at?

For those that did L1 and L2 more recently when BASI 3 was replaced, what amount of time did you have in between taking the two courses?

I know rob@rar did his L2 in Les Gets and that was a few months after his L1 in Val D'Isere as it was mentioned in a previous thread when I asked him about his shadowing. Thanks Rob!

I will be taking my L1 this summer, and am intending on getting the 70 hours shadowing completed over the remaining summer and autumn months, and have already half sorted this in preparation, leaving me free to take the L2 course next season (assuming I pass the L1 course - hope so!).

Depending on how far I am away from L2 standard, (and won't know this properly until I do the L1 course) I was looking at doing the L2 in perhaps the March or again, depending on how much work is going to be needed to get to the required level I might have to leave it until the following season. I'm in no rush as such to complete the levels. I see New Gen have got a L2 course in Courchevel in March (Dec and Jan are no good for me and Feb is always really busy so thought March would be best, all being well with a L1 pass and being up to scratch for L2).

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear where you guys did your L2's at.

Thanks

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, I did my Grade 3 (as it was then) on the glacier at Solden, in September. We even had powder on one day Shocked All I can really remember that the restaurant had allowed you to have as much cream with your studel as you wanted (still feel ill thinking about it)....

Unless you have a timetable, then March is a much nicer time to ski than Dec/Jan, and you have plenty of time and opportunity to get to L2 standard wating till March. You should be able to get some work at your nearest dryslope with an L1 - which will help with the teaching practise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I attempted mine in Val d'Isere (blew my knee out half way through Crying or Very sad ) when it was still the BASI 3. In my day, you had to be pretty bad to fail the equivalent of L1, but they would recommend an amount of "structured learning" (or somesuch) before attempting the next level (from memory someone got 12 weeks which was pretty much "go away and come back when you have a clue"). I'd be a bit reticent to book my L2 before taking my L1 - L2 is quite a high standard for a recreational skier. I would probably have passed but for my knee but I certainly had to up my game when I got on the course and this was after doing a full season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did the BASI Instructor (now BASI Level 2 Instructor, previously BASI 3!) in Pila, about 5 / 6 weeks after doing my Trainee Instructor. But this was as part of a Gap cpurse, so the weeks in between were full time shadowing and training.

With the old Trainee Instructor course, the trainer would advise how much many more weeks' training they thought you'd need before doing the Instructor course (not inc. shadowing). I.E. one guy I know was told he needed 4 weeks, another was told he was ready straight away as soon as he'd done the shadowing.

I expect some people who've done it more recently will be along soon!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great! 3 replies already! Thanks guys. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, ooh no don't worry I'm not going to book the L2 for March (if I do it next season at all) until much nearer the time, probably about late Jan/early Feb unless it starts getting booked up quickly all of a sudden. I will see.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, It's quite good to have a goal wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, yes, I would like to do the L2 in the March all being well and am sort of planning for that depending on what the L1 Trainer says I need work on. It would fit in amongst the trips I've got planned then nicely. I hope to ski quite a bit in December and January and early Feb (hopefully one of the weeks being the Snowheads Birthday Bash wink ) and have some more tuition along the way like I have been having which then should hopefully put me in good stead for taking the L2 then in the March.

Alas it all depends on what happens with the L1 course. I do hope I pass the L1, I will feel like a ninny if I don't from what other people have said about it being "straightforward". wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, It's probably irrelevant to your enquiry, but I did my Grade 3 in Scotland way back when and Grade 2 the year after that (early 70s). FWIW the really old Grade 3 was called 'Assistant Ski Instructor' the Grade 2 'Ski Instructor' and the Grade 1 'Ski Teacher'. 20 years later (1992) I took the Grade 1 which was then called 'National Ski Teacher'. My BASI number is 465. Confused Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine is 9795!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did my 'foundation' (L1) in Pila during a February and my Grade 3 the following November in Tignes.

In between I did a couple of weeks working on the central theme on snow and quite a bit of work at my local dry slope. I recall that I did the SSE ASSI a few weeks before the Grade 3. I didn't have to worry about the shadowing hours as it hadn't been introduced then, but I'd done quite a few working for the ASSI.

A few guys in my foundation group did their '3' a few weeks later that April and I think most made it through. With hind sight April is a good time to do it as you should be fitter at the end of the season than say doing it in November at 3500m Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm hoping to do my Level 2 next Spring too - but will see how the instruction goes over the winter. I've got the relevant shadowing organised, just need to sort out which weeks and where and with whom I'm going to do my extra tuition, hopefully all with BASI Trainers. However, I know I have quite a lot of work to do, and I'd put next Spring as the earliest date I should attempt it. I think March will be too early for me, as I'll still be looking to get more instruction at that time - I'd be looking at one of the glacier-based courses e.g. Hintertux, in April.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5 the course directory comes out in a month or two but if you have a look on the basi website in about 10 days youll see the course listing dates for next season... wink

I am not sure it is relevent as to what others needed in terms of training between the L1 and 2 as it is very much individual and what your starting level is. when i did my trainee our class got recommendations of 1 week training (you will probably pass your L2without any more training) and 16 weeks (dont give up the day job wink )... most seemed to get around 4 -8 weeks as time to work out things in their skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1 wrote:
Mine is 9795!!

Wonder if they've had a sudden influx of new members? My number is 121XX.

L1 in Val d'Isere with ICE in December '07. Feedback on completion was that I could proceed to L2 immediately, so the earliest date I could manage was March '08 which I did with BASS in Les Gets. Feedback from that was my piste and off-piste performance is more or less at ISIA standard, but bumps needs a lot more work. I started the ISIA qualification last week (with Common Theory, trip report to follow) but probably won't take the Technical module until season 09/10 unless I get a bit of divine intervention with my zip lines.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, thanks for that, I'll take a look at the website in due course then! Very Happy

Quote:

I am not sure it is relevent as to what others needed in terms of training between the L1 and 2 as it is very much individual and what your starting level is.

No, you're right, it's not really relevant how long people took between L1 and L2 or similar or how much training they needed to get to L2, I was just curious really and then at least I could see what the average sort of time was. Did the person who needed 16 weeks training actually pass at Trainee level?

Also it gives me an idea of the difference in skill level between L1 and L2. It does depend on what level you're starting at though to begin with. I have completed 10 weeks on snow, so not that much really compared to some people I will meet on the L1 course I suspect, although I have had a lot of BASI tuition pretty much from the beginning of week 4 which has put me in good stead I think.

In April I did a Snoworks Off Piste course in a Level 5 group with Emma C A, so I emailed her and told her of my intentions and asked her how far away did she think I was from L2 standard. Thought she would be a good person to ask since she had seen me ski very recently and since she and Phil train people upto L2 on their Snoworks GAP course in the Autumn. Emma said I am 3 weeks training away from L2 standard, so that gives me a bit to go on. I was pleased with that!

Admittedly it would be useful to have specific L2 training for those 3 weeks mind you but like docsquid, I'm sure if I get some training from a BASI Trainer and tell them that I'm working towards L2 then they can help me with some specific tuition that would be useful.
ski holidays
rob@rar, why have you put XX after the first few digits of your BASI number? Is it meant to be a secret? wink

I will have to have a look at your skiing then at next year's EoSB if your piste and off piste is at (more or less) ISIA standard as in to pick up some tips. I'll hopefully have passed L2 by then all being well, although not in a great rush. Have got lots of holidays planned next year.snowHead
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, it's one of the bits of info you use to log in to the BASI website to your personal account for doing things like booking courses.
ski holidays
rob@rar, so you blanked out some of the digits of your BASI number in case someone took your number down and booked a course or something pretending to be you?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, didn't seem necessary to reveal the precise number, just an indication of how many members there are now. I wouldn't want my BASI account to be logged in to by anyone else. Blanking out only two digits leaves just 99 possibilities, but there is also a PIN number required to access BASI's database.
snow conditions
Quote:

Did the person who needed 16 weeks training actually pass at Trainee level?

when i did mine it wasnt pass fail as you didnt get a license to teach afterwards, it was a preparation week for the grade 3 course. but no the 16 week guy in question i dont believe has taken his career as an instructor further wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, I very much doubt that anybody would want to log into your BASI account, I think they would probably be a bit disappointed with the content in the nosiness stakes based on what I've seen from the Member's Area when I've logged on......perhaps it gets more interesting as time goes on and L2 is completed, I don't know......

You are probably right to be cautious though....Besides as you say, any imposters would need both your password and your member number (and also your email address) to gain access anyhow so it's pretty secure even if someone did get your number somehow.

You can never be too careful these days though can you.........

snowHead
latest report
skimottaret, I see. Laughing

I'm not surprised. Laughing wink
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rob@rar, so you blanked out some of the digits of your BASI number in case someone took your number down and booked a course or something pretending to be you?

You can also use the number to access Manufacturer's BASI equipment deals.

I did mine in Les Gets with Trainer Hugh Monney, same as rob@rar
latest report
Spyderman

Quote:

You can also use the number to access Manufacturer's BASI equipment deals.

Ah I see, now that would be more interesting and would be worth pursuing I guess in the eyes of a scoundrel. Confused

Spyderman, out of interest when would I be eligible for the BASI equipment deals? Is it on passing L2 or as soon as I've passed L1? Ta.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, The equipment deals are only available to 'Full Members' so that's after you've passed L2, as a L1 you're only an 'Associate Member' I'm afraid.
snow report
Spyderman, thanks. I thought it would be on passing L2 to be honest and that would be fair too.

I'm just having a look on ebay for some cheapish skis to use on the dry slope for the shadowing hours I need to do and then I can carry on using them on the dry slope.
snow report
I don't see why it's a secret - everyone who's seen my licence will have seen the number, and that's a lot of people.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Have a chat with your local race club. Most likely they'll have some secondhand race skis which would suit you fine.....it's also worth skiing on the rental skis and boots - see what your pupils have to put up with Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy