Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Gladiators

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know where I can buy some Movement Gladiators from?
I tried these in Morzine in April and thought they were great.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainspirit.co.uk in aviemore

they may just point you direct to distributor considering your location noblecustom.co.uk

brilliant skis, I bought 2 pairs, 1 were a local pro's cast offs via ebay, 2nd pair from mountain spirit complete with touring setup.

you could maybe get them from one of the German / Italian internet stores too
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, got them finally - look awesome Smile
A lot of reviews I've read say that you need expert skill and have to ride these skis fast.
I'm no expert but I'm fine on black runs and a bit of off piste although looking to do more.
When I trialled these out they were absolutely fine on piste, I could get them on edge easily, they actually seemed to trun better than my Monsters, maybe it's the weight, dunno.
Why all the reviews saying it's a gnarly and difficult ski? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman wrote:
A lot of reviews I've read say that you need expert skill and have to ride these skis fast.
I'm no expert but I'm fine on black runs and a bit of off piste although looking to do more.
When I trialled these out they were absolutely fine on piste, I could get them on edge easily, they actually seemed to trun better than my Monsters, maybe it's the weight, dunno.

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good choice of ski Very Happy

As a rule of thumb Movememt make light weight skis with a stiff flex.
The Gladiator is more freestyle orientated - so softer, and perhaps a little easier to handle, than some of their upper end models.

Most recreational / 1 week per year skiers will struggle on say (for example) the mvmt Thunder. Which requires alot of effort and decent technique to get the most out of it. And the Goliath is like trying to flex a crow bar wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman,

Its all relative... if you have 300 weeks under your belt, you're not going to be troubled by an ski in any condition. Most of us might need a little help but if your stats and skill set suit the ski then you can probably jump a level or two...

So, if you are an 20-25 week skier, you might find the ski needs a specific input ...and although you may be able to do that on fast cruisey pistes, you might not be able to get them round off it.
IMV, fatter skis need riding rather that skiing and if you try to ski them old skool, you'll need strenght AND technique, whereas a lot of skis respond well enough if you point them and hang on...

For example, how do you ski off-piste, do you bounce and get the tips up or just wait for the tip to rise and glide round in a bigger arc...? silly little things like this might make a ski easier or harder to use.. IMO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, on piste I am strictly trying to carve unless I'm in the moguls of course Smile Sometimes using short sharp turns down a slope.
Off piste, I have only just started recently but I prefer a similar approach gliding and long turns wherever possible. I can do short sharp turns if necessary.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiied the goliath 191 this year and owned a pair since they came out, theyre actually one of the softer fat planks out there and super easy to ride, now if youre talking of the old powpow's then........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
> theyre actually one of the softer fat planks out there

wow... you think so Smile
super interesting spreadsheet here with scientifically measured flex indexes of most 2008 skis.

http://www.endrehals.no/Flexcurves%202007.pdf

http://www.friflyt.no/files/SFI_2008.pdf

personally i found the goliath to be too stiff for anything but perfect conditions and huge open spaces.
though i am big fan of the thunder and spark.
guess its all down to personal preference at end of the day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, in fact the reviews about the gladiator being stiff and difficult to ski are rubbish?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman,

Who knows unless you have tried them and can ski them how you would normally expect to ski.

I did buy some skis once that were 'out of my league' and they held me back quite a lot at the time. Whether today's skis do that or these skis will do that
probably only you will know.

If you have 20-25 weeks and have been used to 170's then I would say these skis could be a big step up... It is all conjecture tho'
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
If you have 20-25 weeks and have been used to 170's then I would say these skis could be a big step up... It is all conjecture tho'

Shocked Shocked

Been skiing 165 pocket rockets for a few years, moved to 169 movement flames this season and loved them, bought some 183 gladiators for the coming season. Have skiied about 250 day in total I think: will let you all know just how much of a step up they are!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GordonFreeman, you've skied them so what do you think?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok, I've got 5 days under my belt on the gladiators now so time for a quick update. quite strange at first, I found them unresponsive and hard to turn. I've been used to pocket rockets which are very floppy, and the movement flames which are as stiff as the gladiators but much narrower underfoot. After a couple of runs though they really clicked and I was away. I'm not a good enough skiier to give info about the nuances etc, but I *LOVE* these skis, they are great both on and off piste. I've had some time off the slopes so a friend borrowed the for one day - he too has pocket rockets and was thinking of hiring some narrow skis for the piste work now the snow's stopped falling, so I suggested he try mine rather than pay for the hire. like me, he reported that he struggled for the first couple of runs but then it clicked and he also is very impressed, to the extent that he's on them again today as I'm not skiing again. I like them and I think they'll be my de facto ski of choice for quite some time, they handle well enough on piste at the moment tht they should make me a good one-ski quiver. They do need to be skiied quite aggressively on pistes rather then just being ridden as suggested above so maybe not skis for the beginner, but if you're looking for a do-it-all ski then consider the gladiator
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman wrote:

I think it depends entirely on how well you ski and your expectations. You don't need expert skill to ride any ski, but you might need skill to get the best out of a particular ski. What do you think is going to happen if you don't have top expert skills to ride these skis fast? Probably nothing bad.
snow report
Used the Glads for 2 weeks now and here are a few thoughts. Off-piste, they are very good... solid and stable and you can get some charging going...just let them plane up and ride them so good confidence here.
You can of course, sling them around in tight spots as they are easy to engage and release well with the TT.

On piste.....well, get used to them as the TT is no help here IMV.. the tail can let go a little so care needs to be taken to get the TT lenght right. For me, I'd say the ski is a little short at 183, so I don't really want to bang them really fast. This is ok...once you know, but I'd say I have found my skis speed limit on-piste. tho'

For what I am interested in doing they are very good and I am sure I will get into them more. I take the point that you need to ski them on-piste so work the edges and they'll respond. Moguls are fine, surprisingly, crappy snow, they'll roll over, no problem.

I just have to reign in my expectations that they should handle hardpark like a Stockl...
If it is boiler plate and no other options, then I'd be tempted to hire a Race ski and it is unfair to expect the Gladiator to be able to do it all....as ever..

Liking them..
snow report
If you don't venture into the Park at all, I would have thought some of the other Movement models (eg. Spark and Thunder) would make even better all mountain choices than the Gladiator?
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, maybe.. I like the Spark very much but it wasn't stable enough for me for what I wanted to do. The Thunder is 88mm and would have the on-piste bias but since I generally only use the piste to get to the lifts on the way to something much more interesting, I thought I could afford to ignore it. I could have gone for the Goli Sluff with that reasoning. wink

But like it or not, we all get shunted on-piste when the snow is poor so I split the difference. I am happy enough with the choice as I can always slide and slash about on a glazed run if I am feeling lazy or knackered or just ski the ski properly....but you do need to keep those edges sharp... wink

If they made a Gladiator 187/188 then they would be prefect for me, I think
ski holidays
Would some Look PX12's go well with the Movement Gladiator's?
If the brakes are not wide enough, can the shop fit some wider ones?

...or Marker M41 ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy