Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do I need to wax my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just needed to check on how regularly I should be waxing my skis. When waxed they feel really fast, but this soon goes after about a day. Does this mean I should be getting them waxed every couple of days?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How new are they?
My waxings usually last 3/4 days
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have had them for about 6 months and 18 ski days, so not that old.
How do you know you need to get them waxed. Is it just by how they feel
or does the texture of the base change?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of the equipment regulars will probably post later but from my experience, the skis will get a bit grey at the edges underfoot rather than black (or whatever your base colour is it will bit a lighter shade).
The first time you wax them, I think you do it 3 or 4 times so it absorbs maximum amount but after that usually not a problem.
What wax are you using as it depends on the snow conditions. As I understand it, powder rips more of the wax out than firm snow?

Waxing every 2 days isn't really practical on holiday and can become expensive. You could also try some Zardoz Notwax to rub over them (it's probably good to have hanging about to protect your edges during the summer months anyway).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 27-05-08 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman wrote:
. As I understand it, powder rips more of the wax out than firm snow?

Fresh man-made rips out the most.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep. Thats what they look like after a few days, black in the centre and light grey towards the edges.
I suppose they will always feel much better straight after theyve been waxed though.
I have no idea what wax is used as I just take them to the nearest ski shop and they wax them.
Cheers for your help. Will get them done every 3 days unless someone advises otherwise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drluvski, Look at the ski base - if it's drying out (the grey colour) they need to be waxed....how frequently depends on the snow, how much you ski, and how much you care..once a week is probably enough, topped up with a daily application of Zardoz. IMV the thing that most helps (for piste skiing) is to run a stone along your edges each day to keep them sharp.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless you go in for races don't get too stressed about it Drluvski. I take a cheapo cold-wax kit with me on holiday, and give the planks a coating mid-week. Hot wax/service every week to 10 days of use, depending on what the bases/edges look like.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I got the balance right. Dont want to wreck the bases by drying them out or become obsessive about waxing them. Think I have a good idea of what to do now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drluvski, One last thing, when you store them for the off season give them a good coating of wax and do not scrape it off. If you do a search you will find lots of posts on this very subject, and advice on how you can DIY cheaply.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dypcdiver,
OK , Will check it out. Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drluvski, If you notice the difference after a day, then I suppose you'd be happier if you waxed them every day right? I tend to do mine every 2 or 3 days, but that may not be practical for you of course.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Patch,
I will prob get them done every 2 or 3 days next trip and see how they go. I dont wax them myself but it usually costs about £5 for a wax. Not that much compared to the whole cost of the trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
get the right temperature hot wax on the ski at the started of your week will mean the the wax will last longer, most if the wax makers do their mid and high waxes in 3 or 4 hardnesses. the colder the snow the harder the wax needs to be due to increased friction between base and snow. most ski shops will use a general wax (temp range 4degC to -10Deg ) which is a soft wax and will wear very quickly below this temp (its used for speed as its easy to scrap and polish). In the uk ask the shop if they can wax with the correct wax most will (I will) unless they have automated wax machines only . once you are on the slopes use a rub on wax (swix F4, toko express etc)every other day skis will run well every day and should need hot waxing again after 7-10 days . temperature waxes not just for races.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy