Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Yellowstone National Park

Poster: A snowHead
Last Thursday, just a short tour, four hours near the Fawn Pass trailhead.
The weather was so-so and the snow was sticky but the views were nice:

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meh.
All I see are links, which simply don't hold my attention enough to click on.
Sorry, Admin, but those days are over....

Immediate image capability is key to the dynamics of the O.P.' intention, whether 'fair' or not.
If an image has been posted into the public domain, well, it's part of the Public Domain.

Why is this even an issue?

If it has been posted, ANYWHERE, by the originator, it's public.

Can you refute this?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can someone translate?

Wasn't toooo much effort to click on a link. Nice wolf pic Martin Bell.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martin Bell, I love the tracks through the trees...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Bell, though I've been to the States quite a few times, I have never been to Yellowstone - and it's on my wish list. Nice to see it with snow.

Bode Swiller, when there is a series of pics, I prefer links to larger images to be by thumbnails (either by a single click to a gallery of pics, otherwise here) rather than straight hyperlinks. Agree with you about the wolf - must have been quite something to have seen that live.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen a wolf pack in Yellowstone together with more bald eagles than you can shake a stick at exactly this time of year. I'd highly recommend May time before the tourist hordes swarm the place.

jacksonholerider, FWIW I agree with you I prefer to see pics/decent sized thumbnails and haven't clicked through the links. I think if something says pics/photos or TR in the title its a fair clue that there may be pics involved and those on mobile connections can choose not to view that thread. However this site isn't a democracy so its within the gift of admin/ the mods to enforce rules as they see fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jacksonholerider, We are grateful to be able to post colour pictures Toofy Grin

Martin Bell
great pics, although I feel you are missing your days spent on the Scottish Mountains wink or maybe not.......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jacksonholerider, you did get it, didn't you, that these were his own pictures? (Martin Bell is well known in this country as a World Cup and Olympic skier and TV commentator.) In fact almost all photos on this website are by or of the poster. When they are not it is usual to credit the source.

I do like the big pictures, but, that said, it only takes about 1 second to click on a link.
Something I don't understand on snowmediazone is why most of my photos have an icon just after the thumbnail address which I can click on for other options, and others do not.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-05-08 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I did take those photos myself.
Sorry they are only links but I couldn't work out how to incorporate them into the body of the post.
They are downsized versions because my internet connection here is not massively fast.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Bell, yeah but did the wolf sign a model release?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell, I've swapped the links for linked thumbnails, hope you don't mind Little Angel

snowball, because the system generates a "medium" image if an original larger than 640 pixels (h or w) is uploaded and keeps the original as an optionally viewable "large" image. If the original is smaller than that then only the original is displayed (plus a thumbnail in both cases of course).

Quote:

which simply don't hold my attention enough to click on

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell, Was it a wolf or coyote? You'll see more coyotes than wolves in Yellowstone, but not being an expert all I know is that they have different shaped snouts (and wolves are a lot larger! Toofy Grin )
Got to agree Yellowstone is a wonderful place when the snow is around - my favourite time to visit - been there twice in Winter! Very Happy
Were you on AT touring skis?
For anyone staying in the Park's winter accomodation at Old Faithful or Mammoth Hot Springs it's worthwhile knowing that there are a number of interesting prepared X-C trails in the vicinity, to suit X-C skiers of varying abilities. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink, I think a coyote. I was on tele skis.
Yoda, thanks for inputting the formulae.
Bode Swiller, no, he said those contracts have no teeth.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell, yes, I knew they were your pictures (I liked the track through the trees), I was just pointing it out to jacksonholerider who is continuing his argument from another thread that he should be able to post other people's pics off the web without crediting them - contrary to usual practice over here.

I am an artist and post some of my work on my website. Other people borrow the images for blogs all around the world. They are free to do so and I cannot make them credit me - but the majority do. Obviously in print my copyright covers them but I don't know if copyright has any force on the web. De facto I imagine not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BTW Snowball, your website appears down....

Yikes, www.david-johnson.co.uk isn't loading right now.
The computers that run www.david-johnson.co.uk are having some trouble. Usually this is just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes.

See which nameservers are failing.

Nameserver trace for www.david-johnson.co.uk:
Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed g.root-servers.net.
Looking for who is responsible for uk and followed nsa.nic.uk.
Looking for who is responsible for david-johnson.co.uk and followed ns2.hosteurope.com.

Nameservers for www.david-johnson.co.uk:
ns2.hosteurope.com returned (SERVFAIL)
ns.hosteurope.com returned (SERVFAIL)
latest report
kitenski, looks OK from here, now.
snow conditions
OK now and was OK earlier today.
Not sure what all that drama was about..... "looking who is responsible for uk' - is that Gordon Brown? Not sure.
snow report
works for me now as well......

The "drama" was me trying to be helpful and pinpoint the issue for you...sorry if it offended you

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 20-05-08 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jacksonholerider, Yes - I like to see linked thumbnails, but this ain't TGR - and over here we accord respect to those who have earned it, as Mr Bell has. I think the tone of your post was unfortunate. And it's admin's site so he and the mods make the rules. Really nice to have you on snowHeads - but please respect the ethos here. snowHead
snow conditions
I agree, I was new, and hot-headed, and duly apologise.
It is a different forum with a different culture, and I respect that.

(But I'm still going to post decent sized pics of tasty food...be warned! And maybe even Shania or Melissa!)
ski holidays
It's a Coyote, way to small to be a wolf, coat too short.
snow report
Definitely Coyote.
I see them every week.
Wolves, maybe once a year.
Especially now that 'open season' has been declared on them in parts of WY.
latest report
The Wolf would also carry it's tail higher aloft.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The Wolf would also carry it's tail higher aloft.

Not necessarily. Tails are held aloft (or not) due to a variety of reasons, there is no one appropriate attitude for them.
They are 'down' quite a lot. Moreso than Huskies, for example.
snow report
jacksonholerider, Agreed, but what are we seeing the Coyote doing here? Alone; in the open, no prey or threat, a wolf in this situation would be holding it's tail higher.
ski holidays
Respectfully, I don't think that is discernable...at least not with one snapshot.
ski holidays
That's what the study of animals enables an eye to do. Little Angel
latest report
However, with only one photo, we can't tell where the tail is going...it could just be in 'mid-stroke' to being pointed up.

That being said, this is a silly converstion, I agree, it's a Coyote!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's Gait is the give away.
ski holidays
Could be a wolf doing an impersonation of a coyote. They are renown for their sense of humour.
snow report
jacksonholerider, SMALLZOOKEEPER, get a room.
ski holidays
There was a cracking story in the Kirkwood Times a couple of seasons ago about the antics of crows (maybe ravens?) on Highway 88 in the vicinity of Kirkwood regarding roadkills. When a small animal got killed on the highway the crows wouldn't eat it, they would however tear chunks of it, and lay the bits out in a trail off the highway into the forest. They'd then perch nearby and wait.... for a coyote to follow the trail out, find the road kill, start eating... then get run over! Much bigger meal for the crows!! Laughing

OK sorry I think I've trashed this thread now, I'll be quiet now! snowHead
snow report
kitenski wrote:
The "drama" was me trying to be helpful and pinpoint the issue for you...sorry if it offended you

Never in any way offended. Very Happy I didn't really understand the technical language used! Embarassed
latest report
The weather has been very unsettled here over the past week, but I have made it out a few more times, in an area known as Beehive Basin. There is still a bountiful snowpack above 8000ft (2400m).

ski holidays
MB, where are you living?
I am just a few hours from West Yellowstone...Have you ever been her in Driggs/Victor/Teton Valley?
snow report
Martin Bell, Great pics... even nicer tracks wink Not jealous.... not jealous at all Toofy Grin
latest report
jacksonholerider, I live in Big Sky. I have been to Jackson but haven't been to Targhee yet. It's only a matter of time though. (By the way, thank you for financing the transfer fee of Fernando Torres Very Happy )
ski holidays
Gorgeous pics!
latest report
Great pics snowHead
snow report
Martin Bell wrote:
jacksonholerider, I live in Big Sky. I have been to Jackson but haven't been to Targhee yet. It's only a matter of time though. (By the way, thank you for financing the transfer fee of Fernando Torres Very Happy )

I really don't know what your on about with the Torres quip..falling dollar? Anyhoo, If you do come down here, I cordially invite you for a proper tour of Targhee.
I like to think that I know it a wee bit...(having spent ~600 ski days there!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy