Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada or Usa 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys hope all is well, Ive posted on here before and got very useful advise so thought i would post again, Basically there are 4-6 21 yr old boarders wanting a 2 week trip in 2009 to usa or canada slightly favouring canada from what ive read but just wondering what would be best resort for us for nighlife!!! ladies, boarding and snow conditions, got some good prices for banff which sounds good any advise is welcomed thanks in advance SHAGGY
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler - no bus ride to the the lifts required, loads of pubs and clubs and genuine apres at the bottom of the lifts i.e. ride to bar, take off board, buy beer, get drunk, ............

boarding is ok too Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shaggyofdonny, Verbier Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of the options available, for a boarder, I'd go with Whistler too. Excellent terrain and options (including too many parks in my opinion wink ), one of the better nightlives in N America, and lots and lots of snow (usually) - as much as you'll know what to do with anyway (unless you're unlucky).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're a boarder who likes parks deffinately give Banff a miss - didnt see any decent parks at all while we were there on any of the three mountains.

Whistler is probably your best parkwise Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Parks in Banff are horrific. Before this year Lake Louise was awesome but RCR removed everything but rails.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler everytime for me. I have skied a bit across the pond and just love Whistler - it has a huge vertical unlike many North American resorts and something for everyone. Sometimes there can be drizzle in the village as it is pretty much coastal but one lift up and it's often bright sunshine, you dont go there to get a tan though! Great terrain (7th heaven bowl is great for glade skiing) and inexpensive compared to Vail and Aspen. Nighlife varied - you can even chode a club in accordance with musical genres - indie, cheese, rock etc. Great atmosphere and one of the highest calibre of skiers/riders on the mountain of anywher I have ever been to.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler from me too (however the US might be cheaper once you are there due to the exchange rate !)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, Is that the one in BC?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickster wrote:
it's often bright sunshine
Are we referring to the same Whistler?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon, Dont be silly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skisimon wrote:
Nickster wrote:
it's often bright sunshine
Are we referring to the same Whistler?

He can't possibly be talking about the same one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Revelstoke few amenities but 08/09 it'll have the most vert in N.A. be the first from across the pond.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skisimon/HelenB ok often (maybe sometimes) but yes once you get the lifts out of the village the weather can be dramatically different to the town. I did temper that with - dont go there to expect a suntan. Anyhow, Whistler wins hands down for me.
ski holidays
Don't go to Revelstoke if you want some nightlife, or to get back to your hotel afterwards *there are still only 2 taxis in revvy.
snow conditions
Rossfra8,

Quote:

there are still only 2 taxis in revvy.

Wish we'd known that when we turned up in the 7 seater 4x4 Toofy Grin Could have gained some beer tokens Smile
latest report
Bones, did you visit Revvy's stripper?
ski holidays
pinhead wrote:
Revelstoke few amenities but 08/09 it'll have the most vert in N.A. be the first from across the pond.

It's an empty boast - a few hundred metres of wet slop at the bootom from the existing "base". Having said that the existing vert is pretty good - a few laps down the gondi line and you'll be tired enough.
latest report
Rossfra8, Nope, was only there for one day and one night, this year along with SWMBO Smile

So tell us more Toofy Grin
snow report
Bones, i didn't make it past the pub, apparently she isn't exactly classy....
snow report
Rossfra8, She fitted in well with the rest of Revelstoke then Razz
ski holidays
shaggyofdonny,
Ive just booked 2 weeks in whistler for 2009. Booked flights with Zoom airlines and a large condo through these people
http://www.alluradirect.com/ . All worked out to be pretty reasonable. CHeck it out if its somewhere youre thinking of going to.
latest report
Bones, Laughing
snow report
If you fancy more than 1 resort in 2 weeks check out our Rockies Tour!

You will get a fabulous all inclusive trip to Fernie, Red Mountain and Kicking Horse, 3 pretty awesome resorts...

http://www.nonstopsnowboard.com/snowboard-camps/rockies-tour/

If not, then I would head to Fernie... pretty much the most awesome place on this planet!

Have a great day. G
snow report
shaggyofdonny, if you are young and want to party, in Canada that is Banff or Whistler. I like Fernie and KH, but they are not what you are looking for in your initial post. Fernie can also have some poor years.

However given the exchange rate you might do better in the US

NONSTOP, nice pimping! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Why does nobody ever suggest Vail on these USA/Canada suggestion threads?

I've not visited there in the winter but I hear it's a pretty big mountain with very good skiing.
snow conditions
Snowy, Its ok Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go with road trip option, you can do most of the BC resorts in that time, plenty of hot Aussie chicks in Fernie and a few cool Canadien chicks in Rossland (Red) for Party times. Whistler is awesome but if I had 2 weeks would want to see a few other places. If there are 6 brits you will attract your own party crowd, we always do Laughing
snow report
Snowy wrote:

I've not visited there in the winter but I hear it's a pretty big mountain with very good skiing.

Skiing in Vail is VERY GOOD. But the original poster prefers Cadada.
ski holidays
If it's Canada then Whistler as suggested. Banff is cracking night out but Sunshine has too many flat spots and the drive to LL is a pain. Fernie, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Kimberley all too quiet.

For USA, of the places I've been, Jackson Hole, though the nightlife was pretty average.

Whistler it's got to be. You can't go wrong.
ski holidays
shaggyofdonny wrote:
Hi guys hope all is well, Ive posted on here before and got very useful advise so thought i would post again, Basically there are 4-6 21 yr old boarders wanting a 2 week trip in 2009 to usa or canada slightly favouring canada from what ive read but just wondering what would be best resort for us for nighlife!!! ladies, boarding and snow conditions, got some good prices for banff which sounds good any advise is welcomed thanks in advance SHAGGY
Hi,i did Banff a couple of years ago,it's a great town,but you need a fairly long bus ride to any of the 3 ski areas,which are good but .i didn't think there was that much for boarders(small area at Lake Louise,i woundn't call it a park).On the other hand Breckenridge Colorado has a vast boarding area with several huge parks with amazing jumps etc,and weekly competitions,shows etc.Also town is right at the slopes.We stayed at Beaver Run Resort.wherw you can step out right at the lifts.Hope this was of some help .Alan[img][/img][img]P.S. for got to say town is great also with plenty to keep you busy.[/url]
ski holidays
Quote:

4-6 21 yr old boarders wanting a 2 week trip in 2009 to usa or canada slightly favouring canada from what ive read but just wondering what would be best resort for us for nighlife!!! ladies, boarding and snow conditions

In a word.....Whistler.

On the nightlife issue the legal age to drink in Canada is 19. in the States it is 21. Both places can be a bit feisty about ID being produced. You may get less hassle in Canada because of that younger age.
snow report
it was sunny skiing yesterday at whistler. today was fogged in though. Still just about possible to ski out to the top of the 1st gondola (so the top 2/3s of the mountain), which is not bad fro June. In may I still managed to ski out fully to the village for a week or two.
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:

Snowy, Vail is superb skiing, a huge ski area, very sunny, great snow, vast back bowls. I love the place but why Whistler is often suggested over it is (I guess):
1. Very expensive for the best placed properties. Take Vail's Sonnenalp vs Whistler's Four Seasons - probably the best hotels in both resorts. The Sonnenalp will be around 70% more expensive.
2. Whistler is very self contained whereas Vail streches for around 4 miles from East Vail to West Vail.
3. Whistler nightlife is amazing, Vail is a lot quieter.
4. Flights.transfers to Whistler tend to be less expensive than getting to Vail.
snow report
paulhothersall, you are a lucky lucky boy!
snow conditions
thanks for all the help everyone. looks like we willbe going whistler, altho one last question a couple of my mates that are going said they have heard that killington nd jackson hole are excellent for both boarding and the nightlife anyone been to either or both of these resorts? any info will be great thanks once again, shaggy
latest report
shaggyofdonny, JH has a fairly limited selection for nightlife. We stayed in the town and only had one 'big night' and that was after speaking to some locals and finding a one off event. Mangy Mouse at the resort had a good rep. but it's just the one place. Other than that it was all pretty tame. The ski area is brilliant though and definitely do a day at Grand Targhee if you go.
snow conditions
Not been to Killington in the winter but have been through it in the Summer on a New England holiday. It ilooked pretty spread out and one of those places in the US where it is difficult to find a "centre" plus you would need a car I think to get around. Unless next season bombs completely you are almost certain to have more/better snow in Whistler, a buzzing village steps away from the gondolas and no need for a car at all. Others may have a different view but there would be no contest in my mind. Whistler would beat it.
snow conditions
Anyone who say Killington is comparable to JH/Vail/Whistler either had never skied at Killington (basically echoing what they "heard"), or hadn't skied anywhere outside the northeast region (had nothing to compare Killington with)!

Snow record is spotty. Still, it can be windy and miserably cold. Often crowded and the "crowds" are agressive. Resort is spread out and WITHOUT a shuttle bus, free or otherwise! The nearest international airport is 2-3 hours driving away, with no ready ground transfer apart from hiring a car...

I can go on some more!

The only thing Killington is good for are those who live near by, have their own car to get there and get around. Because it's the biggest mountain in the east coast. And when it does get fresh snow, it can be quite nice for a day or two. So the "locals" can simply jump into their car and head up there. (ok, so I'm one of such "local" so I speak from first hand experience. but if I have a week, I'd go somewhere west, in fact ANYWHERE west)

For anyone flying across the pond, go west, young man!Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy