Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski levels...??????

Poster: A snowHead
I've been described as everthing from a good beginner to an expert (by other's), at Christmas I was really enjoying doing as many blacks as I could in a day and yet in April I was being seriously challenged by the same slope's. Therefore I suggest the condition of the 'piste' has a major effect upon ability on the day, consistency is all Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-05-08 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
DB,
Quote:

Do you really mean "by a long chalk" i.e. not by much

According to the OED, 'by a long chalk' means 'by far, by a long way.' You'll have to do better if you want join laundryman as my assistant. wink

Certainly don't want to be your assistant (besides you couldn't afford me Wink ) but am interested in the origin of a lot of English phrases (mainly because many of my Austrian workmates are learning advanced English and often ask me to explain certain phrases).

There's does seem to be some debate over what it really means.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/11/messages/15.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, that is a phrase, but if you mean braquage? I'm not sure how to spell it, it is an exercise. If you receive instruction at any point you shall no doubt discover it eventually.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
[ To me, the difference in ski levels..after a certain point..comes down the speed...and then there is fitness which impacts on that .....

I have come across people who tear down easy slopes with great gusto, thinking they will impress with their speed, and would be considered good skiers by their buddies,---then they suddenly are faced with a steep bit and come to a dead halt--getting down it with no technique but hoping luck and gravity will assist them. Toofy Grin
I find speed comes naturally after one has got realistic confidence from having spent a good number of weeks on snow and sound technique from instruction.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon,

That set of definitions is useful but there seems a big big gap between level 4 and 5... At least in my opinion
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell,

I slipped onto my side... I quite like side slipping.. Laughing

But is it all about bottle..one had it..Anelka didn't...

A bit like some apects of skiing where bravado can account for quite a bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there any other mass participation sport in which people would ever assume that time spent doing it (with no other proviso) corresponds in some way with level of competence attained?

Indeed, is there any other mass participation sport which is like skiing in that ordinary punters with no great athleticism, or ambition, or time to spend, can enjoy themselves at their own level for as long as they have the strength, wealth and will to try? In glorious surroundings?

Is there any other kind of activity or holiday which generates quite so much debate about what "level" other people are at?

Daft questions really, but as we're all bored....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, difficult to tell when you're joking, since you are exceptionally liberal with your use of the lol smiley. Again, I didn't realise you were. Apologies.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB,
Quote:

besides you couldn't afford me

How do you know? wink
Interesting link - thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have never heard "not by a long chalk" used to mean anything other than "not by a long way".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
I have never heard "not by a long chalk" used to mean anything other than "not by a long way".
Neither had I, but DB's link says otherwise.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been trying to think of an expression in which it might mean the opposite, as in "He's a little bit better at skiing than I am, but not by a long chalk". Sounds daft.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, not the only daft aspect of this thread! wink Trouble is, I'm not bored - I've got a lot of things to do, some of which are quite interesting - I'm just addicted to snowHeads. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, I did actually get bored enough today to do my 2007/8 tax return. Should be in the Isle of Wight, sitting in the pouring rain in a harbour rather exposed to the NE wind, in a very small and rather leaky boat. So it could be worse. Being on holiday in the Isle of Wight would be worse than doing my tax return; by a long chalk.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but DB's link says otherwise.

but in a rather internally inconsistent way; and just because something's on the internet......
snow report
lynseyf wrote:
I think rather than talk about which colour of piste you can ski it is more useful to think of what sort of conditions you can happily handle. On a nice day on nice soft snow a lot of people would be able to ski pistes that they would find impossible when its really icy etc. There are also things like the busyness or width of the piste, good skiers should be able to cope with all these things and adapt their skiing easily. I found this year I could cope with different conditions (apart from proper ice) but moving between them took a bit to adapt my skiing style. In my opinion a good skier would be able to encounter piles of deep snow, ice etc. on one piste and move fluidly over all of them.

I'm thinking this is spot on snowHead

Anything pisted I can ski with style (well "my style" anyway) rather like slush and ice (very hard pack)is not a major problem. I can even manage a bit of untracked fresh snow. What gets me is cut up fresh snow be it on or off piste I'm just very poor. I also choose not to ski black mogul fields- so I'm not very good at them. I can get down but I would rather ski another slope given the choice.

I'm a rather unfit 16 week skier (in the last 3 years) who mainly skis pisted runs blue red and black, which are normaly icy but sometimes have a little fresh snow on and in the sping can be slushy. I have 16 weeks experiance skiing these conditions I'm 16 week good at them.

When I ski a steep mogul field it may only be the 10th one I've done ever so I'm not going to look good doing it.
When I ski a steep pitch on a red or black run that's been pisted I can look good doing it becuse it may be the 500th time I've done a simalar run in similar contitions.

The same run with 18" of fesh snow on thats been tracked out - I'm very poor on and may take a tumble or 2. (I may have only skied a similar run 30 or 40 times) Still great fun though Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w,

yep...golf..!!
snow report
The nearest thing to a "golf handicap" in skiing is NASTAR, which was originally inspired by a French ski-grading system, according to this article:
http://www.skiinghistory.org/nastar1.html
snow report
JT, yes, but in golf you have such a nice clear set of benchmarks. If someone consistently gets round the course in fewer strokes than you do, whatever the conditions, you can't argue the toss about "style"! Or maybe you can? And I bet there are plenty of golfers who have played for years and are just as useless as ever they were.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

As soon as I saw "not by a long chalk" I looked into it's meaning (for reasons previously mentioned) and then that got me thinking about what it really meant and what Hurtle actually meant. It looks like it means "not by a large amount" if so perhaps "not by a long shot" or some other phrase/idiom would of been more suitable. ...... and yes it was a slow day at work.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

but DB's link says otherwise.

but in a rather internally inconsistent way; and just because something's on the internet......

Sure, but there's maybe enough to indicate an element of doubt. Still, with the greatest respect to DB and his evident expertise in English, I think I'll go on using it the way that you and I, not to mention the OED, understand to be correct. wink
ski holidays
If I asked someone if they were an expert skier and they said 'not by a long chalk' then I would assume they were a beginner, they were far away from being any good
ski holidays
Hurtle, having been thinking about it ( Confused ) I've been wondering. If you say "I ski better than he does, by a long chalk". Or "He's not as good as me, not by a long chalk" does it mean the same thing, or not? In linguistic terms it ought to mean something different?

OMG.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

does it mean the same thing,

Yes.
Quote:

In linguistic terms it ought to mean something different?

Why? Once you've unravelled the double negative, it's the same. Isn't it?
Quote:

OMG.

Quite. rolling eyes

rayscoops,
Quote:

If I asked someone if they were an expert skier and they said 'not by a long chalk' then I would assume they were a beginner, they were far away from being any good

Exactly.

Heavens alive, now everyone's started to get usage-obsessed. Is it catching, or what?
snow conditions
I wonder whether there's a problem of punctuation or word order here (maybe we should call in Lynn Truss). As the phrase is normally used after some kind of question "is it A, or not" (possibly with the "or not" being implicit), then stick in a comma in the reply after "not" and the ambiguity is removed "not, by a long chalk"' or "not, by much" clearly then means what we all think it means. Also "not by much" is logically opposite to "by not much" but in usage seems to be considered to be synonymous (whereas "not by a long chalk" and "by not a long chalk", if that is ever used, are clearly antonyms). I think the confusion is created by that illogical usage rather than any problem with "not by a long chalk". I have never heard "not by a long chalk" to mean "by not much", and I think that discussion DB linked to is vary confusing - not to say misleading. And to suggest it is synonymous with "not by a long shot" is just wrong - as the two phrases mean completely different things (one talks about probablility/likelihood, the other about margin)
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
JT,
Quote:

bare with me

Thanks for the offer, but... Shocked

I don't think there is much correlation at all between time spent on snow and skill levels. Natural aptitude is important (I've been absolutely blown away by the recently posted videos of tinies snowboarding) age (both start age and actual age) and the amount, type and regularity of tuition experienced. Also, at the upper end of the scale, the dreaded plateau comes into play. All of which is another way of saying that I'm a crap skier, although I've done lots of weeks on snow. Sad

Hurtle, There is unquestionably a correlation between time spent on snow and skill levels.

The more continuous practice you put in, the better you get.

But the reality is that, despite practice, roughly 80% of all humans will always be rubbish skiers, because of insufficient natural ability.

Just like soccer, skiing is a tricky sport that takes great leg control and balance. And most people don't have that gift. Most people spoon the ball over the bar, or pass it to the wrong person.

That's why snowboarding has become so popular. Become it is easier to master and you don't need to be a great athlete to look good on a single plank.

I recommend all plateau-skiers switch to boarding.

Stunning, utterly stunning . . . though could you wear thinner underwear please, your enunciation is muffled by the thickness (or possibly crustiness) of your pants rolling eyes
ski holidays
Masque, So you are saying you are not Whitegold then ?
latest report
Latchigo, double-bluff? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

that was the purpose of the thread? to grade and intermediate against time on the slope

To measure the length of a piece of string? Wink
snow conditions
Don't see what the controversy is. " not by a long chalk" is a phrase that I use and have done so for many decades. It means , by not a lot, by not much etc. Maybe that it is a northern phrase as it is in common use in SE Lancs.
ski holidays
In order to carry on this argument sorry discussion Wink, it looks like we agree that "by a long chalk" = "by a long way". It looks (to me) like the term should be used to define the difference between two competitors. This is why pam w's examples work but Hurtle's useage of the term could lead to confusion (esp when someone throws in a link to an even more confusing internet page) Toofy Grin.

Quote:
The expression indicates a determined intention to continue, though the game is going against you. Your opponent may have a long chalk, but you’re not done for yet

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-not2.htm
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Hurtle, yes, a joke, or irony maybe, but we all come across the skiers who call themselves intermediates but they can barely get down a red,

maybe ...... beginner = can do a green/blue (0 - 10 days). good beginner = can do a red with no style (10 - 20 days), low intermediate = can do a black with no style (15 - 25 days), intermidiate = can do a black and can do a red with style (20 - 30 days), good intermediate = can do a black with some style (25 - 40 days)

rayscoops One of my instructors used to say that when you had good stance and balance on a black run you were ready to really start to learn to ski....

Of course as most of the population tend to be a bit back seat even on blue runs.... Twisted Evil
snow report
JT wrote:
To me, the difference in ski levels..after a certain point..comes down the speed....

Ah yes.... the clock does not lie.... very few people see the benefit in doing some race training though...
snow conditions
Latchigo wrote:

hmmmmm.... very funny wink
snow report
little tiger, indeed, learning to slide properly starts when you can already slide
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:

Let me check . . .

Yep . . . voice broken, plums hanging, pits niff a bit sometimes and I've actually had sex . . . with a woman . . . more than once . . . to the same one . . . Madeye-Smiley
snow report
little tiger wrote:
very few people see the benefit in doing some race training though...

very few people have a venue appropriate to their current skill, also.
ski holidays
II wrote:
I also choose not to ski black mogul fields- so I'm not very good at them. I can get down but I would rather ski another slope given the choice.

Strange... I love mogul fields and I'm really, really not very good at them. They are just soooo addictive though Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque wrote:
Latchigo wrote:

Let me check . . .

Yep . . . voice broken, plums hanging, pits niff a bit sometimes and I've actually had sex . . . with a woman . . . more than once . . . to the same one . . . Madeye-Smiley

Was she alive the second time? Or free from a cellar? Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Was she alive the second time? Or free from a cellar? Laughing

Best you go home and ask her . . . wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy