Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys 3 times last year, next year Chamonix/Tignes or Verbier?? Help please

Poster: A snowHead
Absolutely loved the 3 Vs last season (did VT twice and Courchevel 1850) and would go again next winter but feel that I should experience other resorts which give (I hope) a similar amount of skiing.

My 9 year old son and myself are aspiring intermediates and cope with any of the blacks in the 3 Vs and have dabbled off piste at times and anticipate this to become more frequent in future. We are not interested in the night life as Dad just pops out to the supermarket for a cheap beer at night. It's the skiing that's the overriding factor.

Having looked at brochures and this site I think I've narrowed it down to Chamonix,Verbier or Tignes. Must say at this point that the less buses between lifts the better!

Any input would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-05-08 16:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Armitageblue, You can't have skied all of the 3 valleys in 3 weeks. So much to ski there, and if you love it why change?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Armitageblue, You can't have skied all of the 3 valleys in 3 weeks. So much to ski there, and if you love it why change?

That's a very good point. Certainly haven't skiied it out but me and my boy do get around! I do plan to go three times next winter, twice to new resorts but once back to the 3Vs probably Mottaret.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Armitageblue, For Family skiing I rate the 3v higher than the Espace Killy. Dont forget Reberty Villages (part of les Menuires) or St Martin. Both great places to stay in what is the quietest part of the 3v.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

For Family skiing I rate the 3v higher than the Espace Killy

I'd agree with Frosty the Snowman. If your overriding criterion is sheer number of runs, stick to the 3 Valleys. But other resorts have other strong points. Lack of buses is not one of Chamonix's strong points though. Maybe you should look at Les Arcs/La Plagne, with the link between them re-opening for next season? That area has loads of good skiing, including some lower, tree-lined areas for bad weather days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Armitageblue, For Family skiing I rate the 3v higher than the Espace Killy. Dont forget Reberty Villages (part of les Menuires) or St Martin. Both great places to stay in what is the quietest part of the 3v.

Liked Les Menuires and Reberty. Some guests in a chalet I'd stayed in Courcheval with had family with an apartment in Reberty, went and had a mooch around the place and as you say the area had a more family feel to it.

The one place I didn't manage to get to was St Martin as it was too low and out the way at the time of one of our whistle-stop tours.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

For Family skiing I rate the 3v higher than the Espace Killy

I'd agree with Frosty the Snowman. If your overriding criterion is sheer number of runs, stick to the 3 Valleys. But other resorts have other strong points. Lack of buses is not one of Chamonix's strong points though. Maybe you should look at Les Arcs/La Plagne, with the link between them re-opening for next season? That area has loads of good skiing, including some lower, tree-lined areas for bad weather days.

Thank you. La PLagne will be put on the possibles list and I'll cross off Chamonix from what you've just written and points made on another thread that I've just been reading.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We love the Trois Vallees but tried the Sella Ronda last year for a change. Might be worth a look.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Armitageblue wrote:
Absolutely loved the 3 Vs last season (did VT twice and Courchevel 1850) and would go again next winter but feel that I should experience other resorts which give (I hope) a similar amount of skiing.

My 9 year old son and myself are aspiring intermediates and cope with any of the blacks in the 3 Vs and have dabbled off piste at times and anticipate this to become more frequent in future. We are not interested in the night life as Dad just pops out to the supermarket for a cheap beer at night. It's the skiing that's the overriding factor.

Having looked at brochures and this site I think I've narrowed it down to Chamonix,Verbier or Tignes. Must say at this point that the less buses between lifts the better!

Any input would be greatfully received.

Many Thanks.

For an idea what Tignes is like, read last season's snow reports:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31142&start=0
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Armitageblue, I would certainly cross Chamonix off - a big name game but really for those lookingto push the off-piste. I may get shot down here but for aspiring UK intermediates there are plenty of better more interlinked resorts. Just find teh Chamonix valley too fragmented and a world apart from 3V. Tignes would be superb and although I feel the skiing a little more testing pistewise than 3V it should be fine. It's a big ski area with a super efficient lift system. Verbier - the four valleys is great but again it is a little more difficult to navigate around, maybe leave that one for a couple of years. As mentioned above, Paradiski (La Plagne-Les Arcs) would be great - personally I favour staying in Vallandry or Plan Peisey for its sheltered terraine and ease of access across to La Plagne - great for skiing but quiet at nights. Hope that helps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good grief....I certainly wouldn't even think of going outside of France!

It is a well known fact here on snowHeads that skiing should only be undertaken in France, with only 4 exceptions (and I do mean EXCEPTIONS):
Wengen for the MSB (no other time is acceptable).
Whistler if you are feeling the need for the Absolute Best Skiing In The World (and BLASPHEMY if you disagree)
St Anton if you are a reckless off-pister (or a Dutch interloper)
Verbier since it is almost France and so isn't really foreign at all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Armitageblue,

Your son is at an age where he might really enjoy Zermatt. The train ride in is great and the perfect view of the Matterhorn right in front of you, it seems like no matter where you go. The skiing is varied and very large and you can cross over easily into Cerninia in Italy too. Cervinia has lots of intermediate skiing. Zermatt also has lots of off piste right next to trails. There's maybe more advanced skiing than you might want but there's plenty for everyone really, especially with Cervinia thrown in. I'm sure you'd have a good time there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes / Val Claret gets the nod over Cham' valley from me. Cant comment on Verbier though as I havnt been there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Armitageblue wrote:

Must say at this point that the less buses between lifts the better!

I think that puts Chamonix at the back of the Q.

1st thing - you're right to change... 3 valleys, 3 years - enough already right? It's like Steak and chips every Friday, or the Missionary position every Sunday... much better the devil you DON'T know

you don't say your ski level, but piste skiing in Verbier is only average, it's attraction is it's gnarly off-piste, so of the 3 I reckon Tignes, but there are so, so many more possibilities...

Enjoy! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are some of you suggesting that skiing exists outside of France?!

Sorry if I didn't make our abilities clear. We both like skiing challenging blacks even if we struggle technique-wise(well me anyway). Then after this we love ripping up a wide open red or blue run. I don't get hung up about reading maps unless it's getting late in the day. When we get off a lift and have a choice of blue,red or black we usually go black.

Forgot to mention that we have done Avoriaz and Ellmau in Austria. But we fell in love with the 3Vs, however fancy a change from Steak and chips this winter. Tignes, Zermatt and La Plagne on our hitlist so far.

Thanks everybody
snow report
Are some of you suggesting that skiing exists outside of France?!

Sorry if I didn't make our abilities clear. We both like skiing challenging blacks even if we struggle technique-wise(well me anyway). Then after this we love ripping up a wide open red or blue run. I don't get hung up about reading maps unless it's getting late in the day. When we get off a lift and have a choice of blue,red or black we usually go black.

Forgot to mention that we have done Avoriaz and Ellmau in Austria. But we fell in love with the 3Vs, however fancy a change from Steak and chips this winter. Tignes, Zermatt and La Plagne on our hitlist so far.

Thanks everybody
snow report
1. Verbier
2. Zermatt
3. Chamonix
4. Val d'Isere
5. Tignes
100. La Plagne
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
1. Verbier
2. Zermatt
3. Chamonix
4. Val d'Isere
5. Tignes
100. La Plagne

Is La Plagne that bad?? Or is it not as fashionable as your top 5?
snow report
La Plagne is fine if you drive a peoplecarrier and wash your car at 9am on a Sunday morning.

If you enjoy life, go to the others first.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
La Plagne is fine if you drive a peoplecarrier and wash your car at 9am on a Sunday morning.

If you enjoy life, go to the others first.

Point taken. When my car needs washing I know it's time to part ex.

Top 5 then............

Cheers Whitegold
latest report
And out of those top five, Chamonix and Verbier, although there is fairly good piste skiing, are more renowed for their off piste. To fit in with your
Quote:

love ripping up a wide open red or blue run
have you considered hopping over the pond? Breckenridge, Vail, Whistler, Park City would all fit the bill.
ski holidays
BGA wrote:
And out of those top five, Chamonix and Verbier, although there is fairly good piste skiing, are more renowed for their off piste. To fit in with your
Quote:

love ripping up a wide open red or blue run
have you considered hopping over the pond? Breckenridge, Vail, Whistler, Park City would all fit the bill.

Yes I have but discounted it due to the flight with a 9 year old, in the future maybe.
snow report
Armitageblue wrote:

Any input would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks.
Hi threr,re Chamonix or Tignes,Tignes wins hands down,i found Chamonix very over rated,ski areas were not that great,and to get to them you to travel in very overloaded buses,Tignes on the other hand has a great ski area,with loads of runs to suit you,the town has three areas,linked by free busses,which run non stop.You can also ski across into Val Disere which is also very good.
snow conditions
If you can find a reasonable deal consider lech or st anton. I would love to say I've been to lots of austrian resorts but I haven't. Food and drink on the mountain far better value than 3vs even in lech.

In france you'll enjoy the skiing in alpe d'huez. Sorry to the la plagne fans out there but I'm not a big fan. Off piste fans say its great,. The piste skiing isn't that exciting.

I really enjoyed serre chevalier as well. 3Vs skiing is very hard to beat. The numbers on here are probably divided but for piste skiing its fantastic less so in the middle valley of meribel. Val d'sere skiing is great as well.
ski holidays
Armitageblue, id go to Mottaret and explore a corner of the 3V's each day... i even know of a place you can stay wink

Les Arc fits your bill. If you are into lots of miles and cruising personally dont like Les Get, Morzine as it seems to take forever to get anywhere on the lift system.

What about the Italian resorts like La thuile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy