Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It could happen to you

Poster: A snowHead
On the morning i was due to leave Val D'isere (12/April/08 ) i woke up at 05:00 hours and went out of the Skibeat Chalet at La Daille for (dare i say it) a cigarette. It was cold and snowing at that time .
I heard a noisy shout in the dark from accros the road towards the river.At first i thought it must be revellers returning from a long night out but then realized it was a genuine and desperate cry for help.
Grabbing my hat and gloves i eventually found a young man who had trecked through a 1 metre deep snow field and had twisted his knee and could not walk.He had one of his trainers and socks off.
On my way to find him i shouted to a woman on the balcony of a hotel who had been woken by the noise of my shouting (to him). I asked her to bring help, which she did.
The young man was in his early 20s and in a very bad way with hypothermia.
We got him out of the snowfield and into the foyer of the hotel 'Toviere'' where it was warmer. The French paramedics took over when they arrived and took him to the hospital at Bourg St Maurice.
Their initial assesment of his condition was that it wouldn't have been too long before he would have slipped into a coma and then died if he had remained where he was.
He was an extremely lucky young man to have been heard at that time at all and to have had the assistance of what i will describe as an excellent all round recovery effort by those involved.
I can only assume that he had missed the car park which led to a foot bridge and had blundered into the 1metre deep Snowfield in the dark, twisting his knee and collapsing near the River.

My point is you can find yourself in trouble, hurt or die just as easily in a mountain resort from hypothermia as you can up the mountain so please be aware of this.

Rob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 16-09-17 7:15; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cc_7up, well done.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cc_7up, Good point and well done you for providing the help. Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cc_7up, Well done your actions absolve your cigarette sins wink To many people would have done nothing I am sure Karma will swing back around your way for this
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smoking saves lives ?!!! Twisted Evil

Good work cc_7up
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cc_7up, well done indeed! Thank heavens smoking inside has been banned - probably saved that guy's life
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guvnor wrote:

Smoking does save lives in a round about kind of way.... I worked in the statistics and Operational research department of the NHS executive about 5 years back and the tax earned off cigarettes way more than covers the cost of treating smoking related diseases and the surplus millions help keep the NHS afloat.

Disclaimers:
It is 5 years since i worked at the NHS Exec and things might have changed since then.
Someone might have done their maths wrong, although i doubt this!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, Can dropped, worms everywhere wink

(Back soon - off for a smoke)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor, Aye - regretted posting that almost the minute i hit "submit".
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
magic_hat, S'alright - as long as you are prepared to get thrown to the lions as a result of such reckless factual posting Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cc_7up, Good effort, bet you didn't get back to sleep!.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nope.Not a wink. Must be all the nicotine in my system Madeye-Smiley

One of the questions i asked him of which there were many in order to keep him awake,talking and focused was where he was from (Liverpool) which i'd already sussed from his accent. I kept him furthur engaged in communication by letting him know that i was originally from Nottingham,a place known throughout the world for 'Robin Hood'.
He on the other hand, i informed him comes from a place that is only known for Robbin' Laughing

snowHead

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 22-05-08 19:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cc_7up, you should have told him about snowHead hmmm he wasn't an Everton supporter was he??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think a student from the UK died in similar circumstances earlier this Winter in St Sorlin D'Arves. Another tragedy prevented well done cc_7up,
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cc_7up, nice one. He was a lucky guy.
latest report
Guvnor wrote:

Good work cc_7up

Nice job indeed, cc_7up

Smoking certainly does save lives - the number of people I might have killed had I not been able to reach for the Marlboro instead must be pretty high by now. Toofy Grin
snow report
cc_7up,

Nice job I can imagine the haunting cries...

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.
When I was younger, so much younger than today,.......
latest report
Good story - a few people die every year AFAIK from apres incidents where they are usually walking home alone and end up dying of exposure.

This one didn't have such a happy ending (and took 2 months to find)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/15838826/detail.html
snow report
cc_7up, Good for you and the team involved. It is always a good idea to be aware that accidents don't always occur where you might expect them too. It is a good feeling to be a good samaritan and I would encourage everyone not to be frightened to try and help someone.
snow conditions
cc_7up wrote:
he was from (Liverpool)

Now you've spolied the whole thing.
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
Smoking certainly does save lives - the number of people I might have killed had I not been able to reach for the Marlboro instead must be pretty high by now. Toofy Grin

Too true! rolling eyes
snow report
thats why you should always go out with a hip flask wink
ski holidays
jase2472, Though I note the smiley - I think from a serious perspective isn't it the case that alcohol isn't good for exposure situations, IIRC I think it cons the body into thinking its warm when its not and can contribute to dehydration - I don't think St Bernards carry real brandy for this reason do they?
snow conditions
Megamum, It dilates blood vessels, so you lose heat wink
ski holidays
Vasoconstriction - the body's reaction to severe cold draws the core temperature inwards, leaving the extremities to suffer the cold! Any alcohol may make the outside feel warmer, but in fact will only serve to accelerate the onset of feeling colder, quicker.

I guess if one was not in a hypothermic condition but merely bloody cold, coming into a warmer environment and having a stiff drink might mentally improve their outlook....
snow conditions
No doubt his mates are now calling him 'Nanoo' of Knotty Ash Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cc_7up, how long had he been there when you heard him, do you know? Just as well you nipped out for a cigarette really isn't it! It does make you think that you don't necessarily have to be up the mountain to end up in problems, as this case demonstrates.
ski holidays
Well done cc_7up.

I once saved a girl who had fallen into a hole in the ice on the Lac du Lou (off piste by La Masse - Les Menuires). The guide had skied on, not realizing what happened. She was holding onto the edge of the ice, one arm and one leg under the water and one arm and one leg on top - both skis still on. Only needed a good pull on her arm to get her on top again, but must have been a cold journey back up the lift to Val Thorens, despite the fleece I lent her. At least it was a fairly warm, sunny day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 or 3 season ago in St Anton on New Years Day a Brit was reported missing. It was presumed he fell over (drunk) on New Years Eve. It had snowed overnight quite heavy. All the towns civil guard,rescue services were mobilised. They probed all along the railway,river bank, in every garden in town for about 2 days.

Im not sure if they ever found him but they certainly made an effort.
snow report
Actually, what is demonstrated by this story is that the smoking ban saves lives.

If cc_7up, hadn't had to go out into the cold to smoke his cigarette, he'd never have heard the cries for help. Very Happy
latest report
Kramer, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy