Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Travelling to Meribel from London next Easter. Two families totalling 4 adults and 4 kids of ages 5,6,7,9.

Looking at flights at present and we can fly to either Lyon, Geneva, Grenoble, and Chambery. In terms of price, Chambery flights will add around £500 to the group price but saves us time and agg. The Lyon flights work best price wise but I am unsure of the transfer.

What do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've used 3 vallees transfers a couple of times and been very happy with them, according to their pricing page (http://www.3vt.co.uk/pricing.htm), they charge £10 per head more for a Lyon to Meribel compared to Geneva to Meribel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, have a look at my site under travel and i have all the options spelt out....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we went to Meribel this year, flew into Geneva and hired a car (there were four of us). This worked out cheaper than a transfer (we didn't even use the car the rest of the trip!), and I think took us about 1h45min, we weren't travelling at busy times though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, We're doing the same trip next Easter also, have yet to book flights and considering all airports you mention. It would have to be a hell of a lot of time and aggro to convince me to pay £500 extra to fly to Chambery - you're only saving 50 mins transfer time (quiet time, i.e. we travel on a Sunday) and Chambery can be prone to closure so you could easily be diverted anyway.

Personally I'd fly to Geneva (most choice of regional flights) and for the 8 of you renting a 9 seater minibus (approx. £400) would work fine ... providing you're not all taking skis. Depending on where you stay in Meribel the minibus could come in handy.

1st or 2nd week of easter ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beware at Chambery you can get stuck for car hire and also for transfers. the airport is likely to suffer more diversions than GVA and LYS and GNB and when Chambery is busy it is hell - only 1 small cafe and 1 luggage belt. Many extra flights now going into it and it is near breaking point. Packages can often be cheaper and less risky but it does depend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

Going first week of easter masmith, You?

Reckon we are going with Lyon. Chalet we are staying at will transfer us all to and from for about £450.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, leave some snow for us, it's the 2nd week next year. £450 sounds quite reasonable for 8 of you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, Had you thought about Eurostar? Generally cheaper than peak flights, 1 hour transfer up to resort by Satobus £45 return per adult, less for kids. Train journey is 6hrs, which isn't that different to traipsing to & from airport, check in, baggage check, security, plus no baggage restrictions. Whats to loose?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davejsy wrote:
we went to Meribel this year, flew into Geneva and hired a car (there were four of us). This worked out cheaper than a transfer (we didn't even use the car the rest of the trip!), and I think took us about 1h45min, we weren't travelling at busy times though.

Geneva to Meribel 1hr 45min wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, Peter, agree with advice above - fly to GVA and rent a motor. I would advise you pick your flight times to enable a daylight transfer.

I'm off there in Jan and am hiring a car so will report on how it goes - only 8 months away... wink Cool snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Nicholas, we looked at the train staring with E at length. The children are all between 5 and 9 and the luggage of 8 persons (particularly 8 skiers) will be a lot for effectively two men to deal with while the fairer sex tackles children. I say all this on the back of my recent discovery that we'd all have to swap stations in Paris.

The prices also were very expensive even for the cheaper tickets and although we'd get extra ski time, we are conscious of the fact that at the end of the day its a holiday. We are trying to minimise hassle I guess.

Interesting to note the consensus of travel to Geneva. If Lyon is only slightly longer transfer we will go that route as the flights are a lot cheaper, and transfers same price.

red 27, given the fact you are there before me and effect that seems to have on everywhere I go afterwards, you are scaring me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, one further advantage of Geneva is that it doesn't suffer from French air traffic control strikes.... but you'd be unlucky to hit one, and I think I'd go with the cheapest overall package. The chalet transfer deal sounds pretty good, at only just over £50 a head. Let them deal with snowchains!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi, We went daytime direct from St Pancras. Lots of kids being amused with DVDs, cards etc. 6hrs in to Moutiers. If you are going car I would go GVA, mainly because hire cars are a bus ride away at Lyon, and you have to lug your bags up to the first floor and then down again to exit the airport. GVA all on one level and hire cars just over the road from the exit. Hopefully the Autoroute past Annecy will be finished this winter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, Geneva gets a tick from me mainly due to the number of airlines flying there, but if you have good timed and good priced flights to Lyon then there's little reason not to go for it. I think the Lyon transfer will be a bit shorter in terms of time compared with Geneva.
latest report
Martin Nicholas, how much did you pay please? I've looked at that direct train but it's an eye-watering £290 return, and you're still faced with an €80 cab ride up to resort from Moutiers

Peter Leuzzi, you're right - scary... please avoid Scheffau, Davos and Verbier next year too and we should be ok... wink
snow report
red 27, We booked through the SCGB which gets a discount, and it was about £140, booked very well in advance as soon as they became available. I think there were a number of bargain fares before th price became eyewatering, which we were lucky to get. The cheapest air fare at the time was about £180. The bus is cheaper than the cab by a long way, although there might be a bit of a wait. Have a look at http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com
ski holidays
Quote:

The bus is cheaper than the cab by a long way,

Maybe cheaper than a cab, but I'm always surprised how much those buses cost. I think that Geneva/Annecy link will be open for next winter; they've been building it for about 100 years.
snow report
Martin Nicholas, thanks...
latest report
Quote:

We booked through the SCGB which gets a discount

good tip didnt know about the discount. do you know if they will discount the half term week or at least get an early notification?
ski holidays
skimottaret, sorry, no but they are very helpful if you ohone so will probably know the score from this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy