Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Warren Smith Academy @ Chillfactore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to this last weekend so I thought I'd put a "little" trip report together snowHead

As I had some new toys to play with courtesy of the EoSB and I needed a snow fix, I decided to book myself on this course. I was a bit undecided until Spyderjon waxed lyrical about them when he sorted me out some bindings a few weeks ago.

9.30 on Saturday morning we all met up in Chillfactore reception. We met Warren and Rob who were going to be our instructors for the day. There were 14 people in total which is very manageable between 2 people, most people were around the same level of basic-intermediate to intermediate.

After we sorted ourselves out, we were on the slope by 10am and started with a few warm up runs. We followed this up with a few runs aiming to do the smallest short radius turns we could manage. We stopped for a little chat about what we'd just done and then proceeded with a few drills to help with ankle flex and all of the other key points that the guys try to re-inforce for the day.

What really helped in the practice of these drills was that the slope was empty! I think our group was ~50% of the total users on the slope at any time. We had video shoots ready for analysis at lunch.

We then had a break for lunch in the Mont Blanc restaurant and watched our individual videos. Most people seemed to have the same problems with upper body movement and A frames.

In the afternoon, we did more drills and finished off with a fair few runs aiming to use what we'd learnt from the drills to carry over into our short radius turns. The afternoon was busier on the slope as there was an event on with jumps and rails but we were still quite comfortable using one side of the piste. We finished around 4.30 by which time I was knackered.

I woke up Sunday morning and I could hardly move my legs, I'd like to think I'm fairly fit and active so I must have worked hard on Saturday!

The format for Sunday was pretty much the same. The instructors that day were Rob and a Tom. The slope was even emptier and stayed like that all day. We did some different drills and the ones that I struggled with on Saturday now seemed much easier so something was obviously getting through. We finished off with plenty of runs, again with short radius turns with both Rob and Tom analysing our technique and suggesting improvements. We finished at 4 as we had a shorter lunch break and again I was knackered!

After these two days I think my skiing has improved considerably. I've got some dry-land drills to practice to improve both my flexibility and strength in certain places. I've also got some specific areas of my skiing which are weak, I'm conscious of them now so I can practice on ironing them out.

Would I recommend them? Absolutley! They're great value for money, top quality instruction and a way to get a snow fix in the summer. The winter Verbier courses are starting to look very tempting Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kristof,

Im doing one this Wed at Milton Keynes - its only half day but im hopefull will give me some drill to work on
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kwakazx6r, even half a day is worth it to be honest
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kristof, sounds good - thanks for posting.

Quote:

The winter Verbier courses are starting to look very tempting

What about the summer ones in Saas Fee? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonm, very tempting, one of the girls that was skiing last weekend is doing it! I've already got plans for the summer unfortunately Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah I'd struggle with getting the time off work, sadly. I think I need to be self-employed...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was supposed to be doing one weekend before last ( on a dry slope) but unfortunately he called off. Was disappointed at the time but then we had the hottest weekend of the year so far Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevinrhead, every cloud has a silver lining!

jonm, don't we all, a job in the Snowheads ski resort would be ideal wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kristof, were you on the Liberty Hazmat skis?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bikeandsnow, I was mate, very nice they were too Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spent a day on the 186 cm long ones, on the last day of the EOSB. Amazing ski. I've just bought some in slightly shorter 181 cm length. Got em for £250, end of season deal.

Like you I'll be getting my bindings from Jon. Did you go with VIST bindings?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bikeandsnow, yep, I got the 412 bindings, I also put the tt speedlock plates on so I could move the bindings around to go and play on jumps and stuff. Also means that other people can have a go of them too, not sure whether that's a good thing as I may never get them back!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy