Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

A bit of a question regarding insurance for snowboarding. On a trip to Val Thorens this January, one of the group injured his back, and so could not do anything for the remaining 3 days of the holiday. He had some treatment in resort and got a letter showing he had paid for treatment, and also a letter from the ski school saying he had not been able to use the lessons etc for 3 of the days. This was not enough for the insurance company, and a further letter had to be got from the person who treated him in resort, explicitly stating he could not take part in snowboarding before the insurence company would pay out for the unused lessons, lift pass and hire od equipment.

On return to the UK, he opted to have some private physio as the wait on the NHS was rather long and he was in quite a lot of discomfort/pain. The isnurance we had does not cover any treatment costs when you are back home, so my question is, are there any companies that will cover you for private medical treatment when you are back in the UK due to an unjury sustained abroad while snowboarding?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not usually - the cost of travel insurance would go through the roof if it covered everyone for private medical treatment back home - emergency treatment and repatriation (if necessary) is the real point.

Mine once covered me for a private ambulance on landing back at LHR which I thought was reasonably generous.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The idea of travel medical insurance generally seems to be to put you in the position you would have been in had you hurt yourself or fallen ill in UK, which I guess is all that most people want. You could always take UK private health insurance (which is what you're asking for) separately from your travel cover, but that tends to cost an arm and a leg (although at least you can have them removed at a time of your choosing, in a single room).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
although at least you can have them removed at a time of your choosing, in a single room

with nice pictures painted by an "anodyne landscapes" computer program. But even your private health insurance will not pay for treatment you prescribe for yourself!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond, let's face it private health insurance isn't that expensive. Only expensive if you want to pay for treatment out with the insurance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonnyboy93, Direct Travel provide £350 for continuation of physiotherapy on your return to the UK after a winter sports injury on their Premier and Premier plus annual policies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, but presumably only if this is prescribed by an authorised physician; you can't just take yourself off for therapy on your own say-so?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the same policy Helen Beaumont has mentioned. I hurt my back skiing in La Grave in January, didn't have treatment out there, but claimed for osteopathy (same a physio, in their eyes) through the insurance. The claim was accepted and I expect a cheque this week. I called them as soon as I got back to the UK, before I'd seen my osteopath (between bouts of crying - was in sheer agony by the time I got home!). They sent me a claim form, I put together the relevant papers (our guide filed an accident report to his own insurance company so was able to send me a copy) - accident report, personal statement of incident, receipts for treatment, copy of policy documents (why, I don't know. It's not as if they didn't know exactly which policy I had) etc, and sent them off in April (after I had been released from treatment). Nice and easy. I didn't see a doctor here.

Rossfra8, really? Last time I looked at PHI, it was over £60 per month just for me! If you can recommend a much cheaper one, that would be great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossfra8 wrote:
richmond, let's face it private health insurance isn't that expensive. Only expensive if you want to pay for treatment out with the insurance.

It seems pretty expensive to me, but it's not an objective question. I presume that it's cost reflects the cost of private health care plus (like all insurance) a hefty mark up for the insurers' profits. My point was that if the OP does not already have it (which s/he presumably doesn't), s/he's going to find it a large additional cost compared to travel insurance.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I pay around a hundred quid per month to cover whole family for PMI... 3 quid a day! The cost of a cappuccino and a muffin. It's naff all in the overall scheme of things.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, I pay a bit more than that, but I think it's maybe an age thing. When I was a kid, very few people (that I knew) used private medicine, and I don't think that PHI was available. I resent spending £1500+ pa on what I expect to get 'for nothing'. Not necessarily logical, but there we are. And I don't eat muffins or drink capuccinos (although I don't mind a latte now and then).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vetski, like Bode Swiller said, £3 quid a day for the whole family, or for you £2 a day.. not all taht much when you look at it like that. Guess your right though in that it is all relative.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy