Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

average snowfall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jacksonholerider wrote:
Once again, it is in order to determine where to go.
Higher snowfall totals=more open terrain, period.
If Cham had 300cm total, and La Grave had 600cm, where would you go, given identical current depth?

Given that Cham is 45 minutes drive and petrol (gas for you guys) is 1E50 and la Grave is 250km I would go to Cham, even if it had 100cm. Unless I had some real pressing desire to go to la Grave. Still as Swiss Tony would say "mountains are like beautiful women, when you've made love to one you've made love to them all". Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
300 or 600. Who cares? once you reach those depths it's just the top few cm's that is important.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, I think the point is that it probably snows more often (or more cm each time) where the season total is higher.

jacksonholerider, higher total snowfall has no effect on amount of terrain open - current snow depth has some effect (if it is very low) - the size and layout of the resort is what matters most from that point of view.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to see a Swiss Tony quote enliven what is turning into a very pedantic thread. Here's another:

"Why do they call you Swiss Tony?"

"Becoz I'm built like an alp and ridged like a Toblerone"

Genius.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, I think the point is that it probably snows more often (or more cm each time) where the season total is higher.

jacksonholerider, higher total snowfall has no effect on amount of terrain open - current snow depth has some effect (if it is very low) - the size and layout of the resort is what matters most from that point of view.

Higher total snowfall would usually be a good indicator of current snow depth, no?
Better to have MORE factors for an equation than less, IMO.
It's not like having more information costs more money.
It's just applicable datum.
That's good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:
Actual and average season totals (with a +/- SD if possible) give me a general idea of what to expect any season, not just the epic ones.

Actual and average monthly totals (with a +/- SD if possible) give me a general idea of when I should visit during the season - lots of snow events for powder, low snow events for touring for example.

Actual daily new snow and base depths so I can get excited or anxious prior to the visit or choose a trip on a whim.

The more the better as far as I'm concerned. Information that is wink

Precisely Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Once again, it is in order to determine where to go.
Higher snowfall totals=more open terrain, period.
If Cham had 300cm total, and La Grave had 600cm, where would you go, given identical current depth?

Cham of course because whatever weather caused La Grave to lose so much snow has probably left the remaining snow pack very unstable Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jacksonholerider wrote:
Higher total snowfall would usually be a good indicator of current snow depth, no?

Well I already conceded that total snowfall depth might indicate how much powder a resort generally gets (and perhaps how often). However it is obviously current snow depth, not total snow depth which is important in all other respects. If snow has melted or been flattened by wind it will be worse than the same depth of snow which has been less affected.
If there were no current snow depth figures (at various heights, plus depth and date of last snowfall which the SCGB figures also give) then the overall snowfall would be better than nothing, but that isn't the case.

Obviously I watch forecasts before I go too, but it is too late to change when and where I go, since we usually ski with guides and the best ones can be booked up as much as a year ahead.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-05-08 12:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would rather have a 300cm depth than 600 as there is approx twice the hance of a blue sky day Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I would rather have a 300cm depth than 600 as there is approx twice the hance of a blue sky day

But in the US it would be bigger and brighter wouldn't it???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Americans are the biggest but are they the brightest?

(Oh, oh, sorry, I couldn't help myself)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:
Americans are the biggest but are they the brightest?

(Oh, oh, sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Har Har!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy