Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 - I passed

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, I'm not sure what to do for the best at the moment, I was going to do the L1 at a Snowdome to see how I got on with that first and see how much I enjoyed it, and that would be the cheapest way of doing it. Although if I passed the L1 then it's very likely I would go on and do the L2, so it might be worth going to Hintertux based on what you said.

What do you think would be the advantages of doing the L1 at Hintertux instead of a Snowdome? Wouldn't the drills and practices be the same wherever you go? One good thing about the L1 at MK I see is that you can do the First Aid, the CP module and the L1 course itself all in the same week with only the shadowing hours to complete whereas with the Hintertux option I would have to do the components at different times, although that's not the end of the world.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, It may be the course has changed since i did it, but i was told it hasn't the only difference is it's now assessed. When i did my trainee course we basically did everything we were going to need to do on the Instructor course. The performance elements on which they choose to assess you would be appropriate to the terrain. So in the snowdome this was obviously limited to short and long turns. If you do it in the mountains you'll get a whole load more conditions thrown at you, therefore helping to develop your personal performance in these areas.

To sum up i just think your own skiing would benefit more from a week with a trainer in the mountains than in a snowdome.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, I can see having less "space" as it were in a Snowdome could be an advantage rather than a disadvantage, and as you say, it's the demonstration bit that is most important which the Snowdome is absolutely fine for I would imagine. Actually a friend/acquaintance of mine who is a Trainer said to do the L1 at a Snowdome so I will probably carry on with my plan.

Thank you very much for your offer of being able to stop at yours, I was actually considering going to Milton Keynes though for the L1 as they do the CP module and the First Aid all in the same week if you want to do them all in one week. Thought that was a big plus. I can visit my friend while I'm down there then. Also seems silly to spend money on going all the way to Hintertux when you can do the stuff you need to do just up the road so to speak.

Regarding your requirement to do a bit more training with some BASI Trainers before putting in for your L2, I can recommend Inspired to Ski and Snoworks for that. I don't know if you've been with either of them before (you probably have). I am going to go on the Pre Season course to Tignes in Dec which was good last year, its a bit cheaper that time of year although you do take a chance with the weather in Tignes early December.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1,
Quote:

To sum up i just think your own skiing would benefit more from a week with a trainer in the mountains than in a snowdome.

Oh I agree with you there, it's got to be a lot better to have variable conditions etc etc.

I think considering my situation I'd be best doing the L1 at MK as I intended, then just in case I find out it's not for me or something like that then I haven't spent more money than necessary by going abroad and doing the L1 there. Also I've got my course(s) planned for later in the year before I go putting in for the L2 anyway where the training I get can complement my planning for the L2 (assuming I get that far and pass the L1 and then proceed with the rest!).

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, I think you're right - a week in the mountains is a lot better than a week in a snowdome - unfortunately it's also a lot more expensive if you happen to live practically next door to a big fridge! Wish I could have gone to Hintertux, but I'll have plenty more time to develop performance during the coming season - I'm in no rush to do Level 2 before I'm ready.

However, I got a great deal more out of a week in a big fridge than I thought I would, and it was actually great fun throughout, but this was very much down to the group and the Trainer involved!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid, yes you are right I think too. I'm in no rush to do my L2 either as just want to see how I get on with L1 first. Snowdome seems the most sensible option for that. I'll have plenty of practice this coming season to develop my skiing further anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, yes, we've been with both before, although Snoworks was to do a GS race course (Mr DS's idea). I'm hoping to get some instruction from Sally Chapman this season, and also Rupert Goldring (in Val d'Isere) and Gareth Roberts in Courchevel. It's difficult because Mr DS just wants to do race stuff, he's not interested in all mountain skiing, whereas I need to improve other things (well, everything really, but particularly other things). We might do the Snoworks pre-season thing, where Mr DS can do the race training and I could do something else, but I struggle with my breathing in Tignes on the glacier due to the altitude and very cold weather at that time of year, so we may not do this, but go with another plan instead.

I didn't enjoy the last Snoworks course, not because of the training, which was superb, but because of the conditions and altitude which means the group are constantly having to wait for me to catch up making me rather unpopular as they get less skiing in while they are waiting for me to get my breath. My fitness is excellent, but my lungs are damaged, and I can't make up for that at 3500 metres. It upset me a lot to see people continually having to wait for me and to always be the last to struggle up to the group when getting off the lift, only to have them take off immediately I get there, leaving me behind again straight away.

However, I'd be willing to give it another go with a sympathetic group and instructor - we'll see. I'd hate to ruin it for everybody else, which is why I've mainly gone with private lessons up to now, so I don't spoil things for others. But OTOH I love skiing in a group. Decisions, decisions!....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid, yes I see what you mean there...I'd feel the same in that situation. That's the thing with Tignes in October/November if just the glacier is open, you're stuck with the high altitude instead of being able to drop down lower.

Quote:

However, I'd be willing to give it another go with a sympathetic group and instructor - we'll see.

I've not had Dave Peek as an instructor myself (ItS) but I've heard he's very good with stuff like that from what other people have told me anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did L1 and L2 in alpine resorts this season. I think it's a better option than doing it on an artificial slope, providing the cost isn't prohibitive. The personal performance work we did on the L1 course set me up well for the L2, and it would have been impossible to replicate the level of challenge we got in Val d'Isere if I'd done that course at an indoor slope. If you think your skiing doesn't need much development to reach L2 then it might be sensible to get the L1 done as quickly and as cheaply as possible. If not I'd say you will gain a great deal more from doing the L1 in an alpine resort, and it will be good foundation for progress to L2. The cost of the course is the same regardless of which venue you do it at.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, hiya, yes I remember you saying about that on a previous thread when instructor courses were mentioned. I agree with your statement about gaining a great deal more from doing the L1 in an alpine resort, there's no doubt about that, especially Val D'Isere, Meribel and similar.

I was looking to get on with it asap you see, after 4 months of um-ming and ah-ing over these instructor qualifications and deciding not to do it, I keep on coming back to it!

I think I will stick with the Snowdome idea as July in Hintertux isn't the same as Val D'Isere or Meribel in December or February so given the choice the Snowdome will be alright for what I want out of it at this time.

Yes, the courses are the same price wherever you do them but the flights, transfers and accomodation do make a big difference by doing it abroad eg in Val or Hintertux. I've found a B&B in MK which is going to be about £270 for the week (7 nights mind you) and it would cost quite a bit more than that to fly to Hintertux, get accomodation and pay for transfers from the airport etc etc. I had looked at doing the L1 in Val D'Isere with ICE but again it's more money I can use towards another trip next year and at this present time I just want to see what L1 is like first as cheaply and as quickly as possible without spending more than I need to and thinking afterwards it's not for me after all and then not proceeding with L2.

Thing is cost wise it was a bit different for you because you could commute to Val D from Les Arcs as you mentioned to me before. I think as long as there's not a lot in the difference in cost then by all means doing L1 in an alpine resort would be better long term for those people wanting to progress towards L2 though.

Besides, once I've done L1 and passed it there will be plenty of time for development towards taking L2, I will be in no rush. L2 will be done in a mountain environment although I will pick a winter alpine resort for that, with not just a glacier available, simply for the different amounts of terrain available.

Oh well we will see what pans out anyway. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 18-05-08 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid wrote:
I'd also say that unless you learned to ski in the last few years, it isn't worth practising the snowplough and plough parallel stuff before the course, as it is all different now.

Before my L1 course I did several sessions at Hemel slope on Central Theme (with Spyderman who delivers some of their instructor development programme). This was invaluable preparation, and really got me off to a flying start on CT stuff. I'd recommend this highly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, where will you do your shadowing hours? It's worth thinking ahead and making some arrangements for that. I didn't do that and it was a struggle to get the required hours done in the timetable I was working to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, yeah, I've had a think about that. Although I was planning to do the L1 at MK (miles from my house) because I can do First Aid and the Child Protection all in the same week while I'm there, (I do hope they've got spaces, will find out tomorrow! Fingers crossed or I will have to sort out another plan!), anyway back to the question Tamworth is my nearest Snowdome although it is 100 miles away. Thought I could do some shadowing hours there possibly, or more than likely I will give Gloucester ski slope a ring or Pontypool and see if they'll let me shadow there.

Ideally it would be nice if I could shadow on real snow just to be back on the mountain!

I know you already had your L2 booked didn't you, so you were a bit pushed for time. Part of why I am going to get L1 done this summer instead of waiting until December and doing it with ICE (as well as reasons mentioned in my post above) is then I'll have plenty of time to accumulate the 70 shadowing hours in preparation for L2, and then I can see what L2 courses are on the BASI timetable for 2 weeks next season. I see New Gen Courchevel have got a L2 course in March, and ICE had one in Val D this year 18-29 Feb so if its the same week in 2009 then that will fit nicely between my planned ordinary ski trips. Plus it would be nice to have an excuse to go back to Val D again.

I'm quite excited about it actually so perhaps it is the right thing for me after all!

By the way, how many teaching hours have you got banked up towards ISIA so far?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
By the way, how many teaching hours have you got banked up towards ISIA so far?

None, unfortunately. There's not much work available during the summer months, but I'm hoping that I will be able to collect quite a lot next winter. You need to have the 200 hours before you can do the teaching and technical modules, but you can do mountain safety, alpine coach and common theory (which I'm doing next week) before you have done the 200 hours.

Don't underestimate the amount of time it will take to collect the shadowing hours, especially during the summer. Most ski schools will only let you shadow group lessons with at least 4 people, so it does take a bit of time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar,
Quote:

You need to have the 200 hours before you can do the teaching and technical modules, but you can do mountain safety, alpine coach and common theory (which I'm doing next week) before you have done the 200 hours.

That's useful to know, thanks, I will get on and do those modules after passing L2 (although that is quite some way off yet mind you!! if I ever get there after changing my mind about 10 times). There were some L2's in Val D'Isere who had done the 200 teaching hours and the first module they were doing the week after was ISIA Technical, apparently that is the most difficult one so best to get it out the way first they said.

Can't you accumulate some teaching hours at all towards the 200 hour threshold at MK or a dry slope near you over the summer months?

That's worth bearing in mind about the time it takes if a minimum of 4 students is required by some ski schools. I could use my second week in Tignes in December to snaffle a few hours of shadowing if I set it up in advance, also I could do the same during my other trips I have booked if I plan carefully and speak to the right people.

Hey you never know I might have even finished L2 by time we get to next year's EoSB rob@rar! Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Can't you accumulate some teaching hours at all towards the 200 hour threshold at MK or a dry slope near you over the summer months?

Yes that's the plan, but there is very little demand for lessons during summer months and priority is given to full-time instructors as well as long serving part-time instructors. I hope to pick up a lot more hours during the winter, and might do a couple of weeks with Interski if I have the time.
snow conditions
rob@rar, hmmm yes there is Interski. Oh well, good luck with that then.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
docsquid wrote:
I'd also say that unless you learned to ski in the last few years, it isn't worth practising the snowplough and plough parallel stuff before the course, as it is all different now.

Before my L1 course I did several sessions at Hemel slope on Central Theme (with Spyderman who delivers some of their instructor development programme). This was invaluable preparation, and really got me off to a flying start on CT stuff. I'd recommend this highly.

That would be very useful. What I meant was it isn't worth practising snowplough turns on your own, as the methods used to teach have changed recently so you'd just be practising the "wrong" kind of snowplough turns. With an instructor, it would have been very helpful to me as well - just didn't have the chance to do it.
latest report
rob@rar, docsquid, Back when I was prepping for my Basi 3 I spent 1 week in Sauze d'Oulx doing little else but practising snowplough, basic swing, basic parallel central theme stuff. Boring, but it gave me a head start for the assessment fortnight.

rob@rar, Do a percentage of the hours need to be in an Alpine Environment ? I'm sure I read that at some point in an issue of the BASI news.
latest report
docsquid, I wouldn't go as far as saying that CT stuff is all different now. The snowploughing I was taught when I was a kid is much the same as I do now (although I hope I can do it a bit better!), but I don't think it's right to give the impression that there has been a complete change in the early progression of skiing. BASI assess that progression in a particular way, so it helps to to tune into that as soon as you can.
snow conditions
rob@rar, that's what I mean. I did some practice at parallel turns, plough parallel etc when I was in France a few weeks ago, but that practice was not doing it the correct way with too broad a plough, which was what I was originally taught. If you can get help with a BASI person who can pick up errors that is good, but I don't know that practice on your own is going to be terribly helpful if you don't know what you are supposed to be practising in the first place. Now I have more of a clue, and also a video camera to see what I actually look like, I can practice a lot more for Level 2. Other practice I did was helpful, particularly carving and side-slipping!

Like VolklAttivaS5, I'm in no tearing hurry to do Level 2. I want to get in a lot more practice and tuition first and although I'd like to do Level 2 next Spring, I may have to put it off for another year if the instructors don't think I've a chance of passing.
latest report
Congrats docsquid, I read your link a while ago now and had noticed that you weren't posting much (since your success in la Rosiere) so it's great to know not only that you have been well (generally) but also have been well occupied.
ski holidays
docsquid, well that's me sorted! Finally! After a few months of changing my mind every 5 minutes about all this!

I found out today that I can do the CP module the same week as the L1 course at Tamworth Snowdome next month which was a big plus for doing it at MK as I mentioned, and Tamworth is obviously a lot nearer to me than MK is, so I've opted for that and booked it up. I am very excited about doing this I have to admit. snowHead

I will be returning the following Thursday to do the BASP First Aid course at Tamworth mind you, but even with 2 journeys to Tamworth it's cheaper than going down to MK for 7 days. So there we have it. I do hope I pass it, as I said I've not been skiing all that long really, 10 weeks completed on snow, although the skiing I have done has been with very high quality tuition so technically I'm hoping I'm quite good. We will have to see. Very Happy
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, it would be great to see you while you're on the course. I'd offer a place for you to stay but...we're on holiday part of that week. However it would be good to meet up anyway.

I'm fixing up to do some shadowing at Tamworth - going to talk to Tim this week about it. Also hoping to fix something up in France while I'm out there to make the required hours for Level 2.
latest report
docsquid, that's ok, you did mention about stopping at yours earlier in the thread although with it being a week I couldn't possibly take you up on it anyway, far too long to impose on someone! I've found a nice B&B though called Middleton Farm House, which was £40 a night for a nice ensuite room including breakfast, so I'm going to stop there.

I would love to meet up with you one of the nights though, I will be getting there on the Sunday so any night that week will be fine apart from the Wednesday which is CP module night. I will PM you nearer the time.......

Yes, I've been on the blower today to sort out some shadowing while I'm away on holiday later this year. It shouldn't take me too long to rack up the 70 hours as long as I remain proactive about it. At this rate we could end up doing the L2 the same time! I see BASI haven't got the dates up for next season for L2 yet although I know New Gen have got one in March and ICE (Mark Jones et al) in February.

Alas we will see.
ski holidays
Hello all

Further to my posts above I am pleased to say that I took the BASI Level 1 course this week and passed it also Very Happy

I met docsquid on the Tuesday while she was doing some of her shadowing hours, nice to have met you docsquid.

There was a group of 9 of us doing the Level 1 Ski and I really enjoyed it.
snowHead
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, congratulations!
latest report
Jo225, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, Well done.....
ski holidays
Nice one - very well done Very Happy
ski holidays
Well done!
ski holidays
Congrats VolklAttivaS5, well done you.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Very well done Very Happy
snow report
well done guys, who did the training for you
snow report
Thanks david@mediacopy, roga, beanie1, FenlandSkier, Spyderman, CEM, !

CEM,For docsquid's training she mentioned earlier that it was Andy Jerram, for mine it was Pete Silver-Gillespie. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, docsquid, well done.
snow report
spyderjon, ta.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, cheers, both good guys, i know them both well
snow report
CEM, yes I was very happy with how everything went......Good mixed group too of different levels of experiences, we all got on well. Pete was very good I have to say, a nice guy and very down to earth with it too. Very Happy
snow report
CEM, by the way I need to come and see you about some new boots as soon as you've got new stock in. When do you think it will be?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy