Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How close is too close?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my tale of being taken out and then being made jittery by someone being too close on another run, just how close is too close when passing another user of the slopes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too close is anything that causes you to change speed or direction because of their actions and not your own.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would say it depends on several factors including the direction of travel of each person, their speeds, abilities, terrain etc etc. Basic rule is for the uphill person to minimise the risk of collision but there is no specific distance. For me personally, I don't want to be within a distance that I believe the person I am passing could cover in the time I take to pass them, usually that means me going much wider than is absolutely necessary.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JP wrote:
Too close is anything that causes you to change speed or direction because of their actions and not your own.

Much more concise than my answer Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As JP says. As long as you don't colide, or cause them to change course.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, so someone behind you was ok as they did not collide or make you change your course Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also far enough away to not make the other skier feel nervous, no matter what your own level of ability. Need to be realistic here though, as some people get the fear a bit out of proportion.

Personally i get very nervous of people skiing above me on steep icy slopes, particularly those who shouldn't be there. Much more danger to me than the slope itself is.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does tapping your ski poles as coming to overtake a help or a hinderance? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PsychoBabble, i don't think you should assume you will be heard, or that the skier / boarder is good enough for this to make any difference.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JP has already given the definitive answer IMO. However, I would point out that the absolute distance given by JP's Law is directly proportionate to speed - why else do we (considerate types Little Angel) slow down when much slower skiers are in front of us?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, spot on. I saw an episode at the EoSB where a supposedly experienced skier, decided to make a turn in the turn line of a very nervous inexperienced skier who was snow ploughing her way down what was to her a dificult blue. The piste was wide and empty and the turn he made was also very close to her.

I think he understood my english very well Evil or Very Mad

..but, the damage was already done, she was very nervous after that, even though all the hardest parts were out of the way she still kicked off her skis and walked anything that she thought was too dificult.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PsychoBabble,

Pole clicks are ok, even better to tell them but that assumes that you know what nationality they are and whether you can deliver in their language. I'll pole click and pass after I have sussed what I think they are going to do....mostly.

As with all these things you should have weighed up the situation pretty early and seen them...typically on those long paths... let them know you are there, but it might be that you just get past them as quick as poss...and letting them know you may be hovering can spook them just as much....

I try and give nervous skiers as wide a berth as poss... but sometimes they just have to accept there other people about.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I can't see the whites of their eyes, then I ain't close enough Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never even heard of people giving pole clicks!! Is there a code - 3 clicks for I'm come past on your right, 2 clicks for coming past on your left, 1 click and crash for I never gave it enough time Laughing

I would encourage all people on the slopes to give the clearly less experienced snow user a wide berth - some of us haven't yet found our confidence and those of us that have a liable to have it knocked very easily as indicated above. By giving us some extra space we are liable to gain in confidence and ability quicker and join the ranks of those giving others a wide berth.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 15-05-08 16:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
I would encourage all people on the slopes to give the clearly less experienced skier a wide berth

I agree...however what about the clearly less experienced snowboarder? And, don't forget, you are now a lot more experienced than a number of people on the slope - I mean you've done 2 weeks this year!
snow report
Elizabeth B, You are quite correct - its easy to get focussed on your own discipline (I do try not to - see the OP for an example), appropriate edit applied.
ski holidays
Megamum,

No code..just a audible notice that someone is behind you...

On a narrow path...all parties should be aware, and the onus is on the more experienced skier..... but they still need the nervous one not to do anything too sudden, if poss.

On a 2 mtr wide flat path...how much room does anyone want...?
Nobody wants to hit anyone..and I have been taken out by someone who couldn't control what they were doing... but all parties have a responsibility according to their skills.
snow conditions
JT, 2m = wide Shocked

IMV 20m is approaching wide Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Megamum wrote:
JT, 2m = wide Shocked

IMV 20m is approaching wide Madeye-Smiley

20m? If skiers/boarders need a 20m comfort cushion I wonder if they shouldn't yet have ventured off the nursery slopes yet?
snow conditions
I'd add a note to anyone who skis quite quickly - if you can't ski as quick as you want and still avoid the people your passing then bloody slow down! Your not supposed to be skiing along looking at your ski tips, the trick to doing most quick sports is looking and thinking way ahead. If you suddenly arrive at an overtake you haven't seen coming then your just not good enough to be skiing (or riding or driving) at that speed.

And to those skiing a little slower - then if you are on a 2 metre wide track its great if you can make your turns 6" from the edge so if someone is looking to pass they have somewhere to do it. Isn't it nice when everyone is sooo considerate to each other Smile

Anyone agree with that? Or is it just cobblers?
snow conditions
Well perhaps 20m is exageration, but 2 metres seems pretty narrow to me, esp. if one side is a drop off
ski holidays
rob@rar, midgetbiker, agree with both of you.

There is a happy medium. We must ski/board safely and courteously - but cannot be expected to give everyone a 5m clearance. Going within 1-2m behind an adult just as they complete a turn should usually be safe. Kids are different IMHO.
ski holidays
Was thinking of getting a small horn to attach to one of my poles so I could hoot at people in my way, just like I do when I'm tailgating on the M25. Brilliant idea, no? After all, not everyone will understand "Get out of the bl00dy way!!", will they?
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Well perhaps 20m is exageration, but 2 metres seems pretty narrow to me, esp. if one side is a drop off

2m is fine for some skiers but too close for others. It just depends. Best thing you can say is to ski with respect for your fellow slope users, and hope to get the same in return.
snow conditions
vetski, great idea! I can manage the words for 'left' and 'right' in the languages of all the countries in which I've skied, and that's what I tend to yell. Even on a path that's wide, I'll try to give some warning that I'm overtaking, to be on the safe side.

midgetbiker, totally agree.
ski holidays
vetski, are your skis made by BMW? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, please, nothing so pedestrian. I'm not a drug dealer, you know. I'm planning on painting on some go-faster stripes this summer and getting a foxtail. Do you think a rear spoiler would be too much?
latest report
vetski, glad to hear your rear isn't spoilt already...

*runs for life*
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski wrote:
Was thinking of getting a small horn to attach to one of my poles so I could hoot at people in my way, just like I do when I'm tailgating on the M25. Brilliant idea, no? After all, not everyone will understand "Get out of the bl00dy way!!", will they?

I find two foot from the back bumper with my right indicator on and my headlights flashing works best. All that consideration stuff goes out the window when I'm towing and they won't get out of the middle lane when I'm not allowed to use the outside one Mad
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
vetski, glad to hear your rear isn't spoilt already...

*runs for life*

Run? I think you should change your identity and move!
snow report
stoatsbrother, rob@rar, Laughing Laughing BTW, ID changing schemes like Witness Protection aren't infallible...

midgetbiker, forgot about the headlights. No wonder people get out of the way so slowly that I keep clipping their bumpers.
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
not everyone will understand "Get out of the bl00dy way!!", will they?

The trouble is, not everyone will be able to get out of the bl00dy way, no matter how much or loudly you honk... especially the less experienced.

midgetbiker has it spot on - we should all be most courteous. After all, we're on holiday, not on the M25!
snow report
PsychoBabble, batting your poles about is a completely pointless activity, since most people have no clue what you're on about. Laughing

My tips:
- give all children a very wide berth. They are likely to do random things at any moment and don't look where they are going (think about how they walk into your legs in shopping centres).

- give evident beginners lots of space - you frighten them (see Megamum comments above).

- ALWAYS pass boarders on their toe side. This is the side on which they keep their eyes. If you go behind them they are quite likely to turn straight into you because they have no idea that you're there.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
- ALWAYS pass boarders on their toe side. This is the side on which they keep their eyes. If you go behind them they are quite likely to turn straight into you because they have no idea that you're there.

That would be a sensible thing to do if all boarders restricted their riding to their heel side of the piste, leaving plenty of room to pass them. What should we do if boarders insist on hugging the piste/path margin on their toeside?

As skiers tend to keep their eyes on their front side, does this mean we should only pass skiers from the front, not the rear?
snow conditions
rob@rar, you are being deliberately obtuse and I am not about to rise to it. NehNeh
ski holidays
I think we have done this "pole clicking on narrow path" thing before. You could cough loudly instead or start singing or something - it just lets them know you are there. I tend to pass on the extreme outer edge of the path, so I can just ski over the edge if the person cuts accross me at the moment I'm passing.
I am even more careful about passing boarders - it wouldn't surprise me at all if one was riding switch and had his eyes up his backside Cool
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
rob@rar, you are being deliberately obtuse and I am not about to rise to it. NehNeh

I'm really not. It's a pet peeve of mine when boarders plead for extra consideration because of their blind spot. As I skier I also have a pretty large blind spot (essentially everything behind me), but I don't expect other slope users to overtake me in a particular fashion. If boarders have a particular issue with people passing them on their heelside then they should ALWAYS leave enough room on their toeside to be passed. Clearly that isn't the case because boarders, just like everyone else, use the full width of the piste or path. Consideration is a two-way process.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
As skiers tend to keep their eyes on their front side

Just occasionally I keep my eyes on another skier's backside.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Just occasionally I keep my eyes on another skier's backside.

Take care. Too much of that can result in terrible nightmares.
latest report
Aaarrgghh Shock
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy