Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the best board for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I am going to hit the fridge after some great advice with a mate . I know we will get all the stuff provided BUT ... after reading a few posts here any suggestions on the best board to buy for a beginner ?

Cheers K
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Total beginner? If so, then I've got 2 answers to this. The first is absolutely nothing, just learn with what they give you. The second is absolutely anything, as long as it's cheap!

There's 3 main shapes to snowboards - cambered (sad face), reverse cambered (smiley face) or camrock at one or both ends (wavey moustache). Check out the graphics on the bottom here:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/learn/snowboard.html

I don't think it's worth putting down money on a board until your riding has got good enough so that you can tell the difference between those 3 constructions and make an informed decision as to which you want to ride. Personally, I can't stand reverse camber; I'm all about camrock, but that's just my style. Others find cambered boards aren't playful enough.

If you do want to buy something, then anything from last year's range with a medium flex and a camrock profile should keep you going for a while.

Make sure you don't skimp on bindings - getting the fit and feel right will make at least as much difference as the board.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks jiagedaping

See the thing is I tried boarding in china and it did not go well the boots were like poo-poo felt I could swim in them and the board felt long and heavy.... I used to sKate board so I figured being China they were taking the wee wee
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As jiagedaping says, have some lessons the kit in the fridge won't be new but it will be stuff that is easy to learn on and if the boots feel too big they will have plenty of smaller ones! My snowbarding daughter says totally the opposite to jiagedaping, camrock she hates, reverse camber is perfect, but that is just her riding style.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the issue was it flt heavy but and cumbersome is that how it should be?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowboard boots are more bulky than ordinary footwear but my daughter happily uses hers as in resort snow boots not what I'd call cumbersome.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cool thanks
davkt
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KSNOWZ, buy boots first. They're the most important bit of kit. Go to a shop with a good selection and chat to them about how/where you want to ride. Try to avoid suer cheap boots - they won't last. They should measure and look at or ask about your foot shape, wide narrow skinny ankles?? etc etc and suggest a few pairs to try. They should obviously be comfy, not cause any 'hot spots' but be snug enough to really hold your foot in place. A little toe wiggling room is nice. Some people reckon your toes should be in contact with the toe box when stood upright then losing contact as you flex forward. I had real trouble with 'toe bang' when my boots fitted this way. I just graze my toe off the toe box if i lean back/try to push my toes forward and that works for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where were you riding in China? I've rented gear there a few times and it's not been amazing, but not the absolute worst I've ever seen either.

To be honest, if you're just starting out you really don't need to worry about the kit. Wait until you can at least link turns confidently until you start to stress about the quality of the gear. By this stage, you'll understand what it is you want your gear to do, and you'll be able to make a much better decision about what to get.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wrong size boots wouldn't help, and could be where the 'too heavy' feeling was coming from - if you've getting excessive heel lift from loose boots you'll have to exaggerate your movements to control the board.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with the sentiments above - leave the gear until you have got past the initial learning stage. Then you will start to know what you want from a board - how adventurous you want to be with tricks or hard you want to carve down a mountain. As rogg, says, if anything focus on getting some boots which there is less to think about (a little on flex) and means you have more feel for the board in your own clean boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy