Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shalli's permanent vacation to Canada!

Poster: A snowHead
Shallimus, thats what neighbours kids are for ! just pay 'em a couple of bucks and that will leave you free to hit the hill wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus, couple of sacks of salt should sort that out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shallimus wrote:

Walking through the park to the bottom of that area, you find this:

Now that looks like great slope for mountain boarding down Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was a mountain-biker there when I showed up, and I'm sure you're right about the mountain-boarding. I don't think they run the lift at all outside of snow season though...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's all getting very real now. I fly out (emigrate, no less) on Sunday Nov 16th... quotes are being quoted for having my belongings shipped out to Toronto (company is paying, thank goodness), my flight is getting booked this week, and the weather is turning cold.

I'm already getting an awful pit-of-the-stomach feeling at leaving my friends and family behind, but at the same time I'm so excited... and on balance, excited is winning Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shallimus, I have just said goodbye to a friend for 6 months whilst she travel to Oz to follow her dream, you have made the right choice, as if it doesn't work out (which i'm sure it will) you will have least tried and not have any 'what if' moments.

I hope you are making all your mates jealous by rubbing it in at all chances snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I've arrived!

As of last Sunday, I now live and work in downtown Toronto. I have already joined the U of Toronto ski and snowboard club (seem like a nice bunch) so my Jan/Feb Saturdays are now all accounted for (trip to Blue Mountain). I'm also hoping to get my first Canadian riding in either this weekend or next Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jealous - me? nah (honest)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, so its crap and you hate it then Laughing Glad it went well & don't forget to post some pics so we can feel super jealous
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.bluemountain.ca/grand_central_lodge_web_cam.asp
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv wrote:
www.bluemountain.ca/grand_central_lodge_web_cam.asp

Buahahahahaha!

Also:
Mount St. Louis-Moonstone - even closer to Toronto!

I'll post pics once I get up there - hopefully tomorrow but definitely sooooooon!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shallimus, enjoy. Good to see that despite making it over there you've failed to escape this place Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shallimus, co-sign DebbiDoesSnow, rogg, and Swirly -- nice work taking the plunge and good luck for tomorrow - first day of the new weekend lifestyle huh?

At the risk of making myself actually vomit with envy, any plans to catch any Raptors games? Snowboarding and basketball.. too much, too much... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can't get rid of me that easily! snowHead

Didn't end up making it to the slopes last Saturday as I forgot that I need new outerwear. On my last day in the UK, I realised that my jacket was well and truly on its last legs so I *cough* recycled it to a nice family with a big farm in the country (i.e. it went in the bin) and I stupidly left the trousers in the washing machine as I fled the country. So I'm going shopping for outerwear this evening and will be going to Mount St. Louis-Moonstone this coming Saturday with some people from the office. Conditions as of now are 25-45cm base, groomed powder and fresh snow in the last 24 hours, with more predicted for Friday and the weekend...

As for the Raptors, I'm not (yet?) a basketball fan, but a guy in the office is a big fan and has a season ticket; he can't go to all of them, of course, so may have some spare capacity. It's the Leafs I really want to see - basketball doesn't involve enough of either cold temperatures or unnecessary violence for my liking but I'm told even cräp Leafs home-game tickets are harder to come by than epic powder conditions in the Home Counties in August (well, almost).

I'll post an update with pictures once I'm back from my first local resort trip Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was at Horseshoe Valley on Sunday, and the conditions were really good - perfect snow! Resort is tiny, but great fun with a few friends snowHead
latest report
Thanks iblair! Bit worried about the rain/snow mix we've been having downtown this week though - do you think it'll be any better further north?
snow report
Just a guess, but I reckon it won't be raining up north - certainly the forecasts don't indicate it
snow conditions
Trying again this Sunday - looks like we're on!
ski holidays
Shallimus - Good luck for the weekend sliding !
snow conditions
Thanks... I have been so busy that I've completely failed to visit snowHead or update this thread. However, I really should, as I have plenty to relate. I'll try to get on it this evening and post some pics / vids with some descriptions of the various places I've been snowboarding since I got to Canada. In fact I've been on 7 different days - jealous much? Little Angel
Also, happy birthday to me - and it's snowing in Toronto yet again! W000000t!
latest report
Shallimus, happy birthday. hope it is/was a good one!
ski holidays
just too late....... happy birthday shalli......... hope you got some freshies.
snow conditions
Shallimus, happy birthday for yesterday Cool stop enjoying yourself and hurry up & update this thread with pics !!!!!
ski holidays
Here, finally, are some snow-related pics from Ontario. My entire life/routine/everything is different over here, and I'm not spending as much time on the computer at home, hence the delay (well that and I'm lazy wink ). I've now had 10 days (I think?) on the hill this winter and should hopefully manage another 8-10.
---
Date: 7th December 2008

Taken at resort base. Behind me are a couple of green runs and a chairlift. There are some more challenging runs (not shown) but the hill is fairly tiny. Doesn't matter to me though as it's still a great day out - about 90 minutes' drive from central Toronto, unless it's snowing in which case it could be closer to 2.5 hours.
---
Date: 19th December 2008

Outside the front door of my temporary apartment at about 6:30am. Taken just before I hopped in a taxi to get to a friend's house to go snowboarding at MSLM again (same resort as above). The CN Tower is not only an awe-inspiring sight at night with the lights, it's also very handy as a navigational aid when staggering around town at 3am feeling slightly the worse for wear wink
---
Date: 20th December 2008

For a really, really tiny hill (but one that's right on your doorstep) you can head to Earl Bales Park - the place I checked out last summer (and earlier in this thread). Note the large buildings in the background - this is really close to the centre of town.

I can indeed bomb the hill in about 10 seconds, but you can make it fun by messing about on little features on the side, riding through the snowmaker cloud (not so much fun as really, really cold - lesson learned wink) and narrowly avoiding the many, many beginners who take great delight in panicking, cutting you up and then stacking it right in front of you...

The chairlift is small, old and stops often to accomodate beginners who have decided to play Twister at the top or bottom (but hey it wasn't so long ago I would have joined them wink. Not a great social event as the run is so short... go on your own, take an MP3 player and lap the hill until the batteries run out Happy This place is open til 10pm every day except Sunday (6pm?) Being so close to downtown, it's only worth going if it has recently snowed a lot.
---
More pics to follow in time...
---
ski holidays
Still enjoying it then! any piste is better than no piste snowHead
ski holidays
It's closer than MK, that's for sure. Also you don't have to go to MK Cool
snow report
and if that isnt a huge incentive to move to canada
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
any piste is better than no piste snowHead

That's not right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, you reckon? I would rather a little slide on a hill like that than the little slide in the park nearby or the rip off that is MK snowdome
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, I'd rather have a walk followed by almost 1500m of descent with no pistes in sight and powder. Than pistes and the associated off piste full of numpties.
ski holidays
Swirly, yeah its easy to say that when you have natures playground on your doorstep NehNeh
latest report
I'm starting to realise how easy it is to get spoiled. I'm now starting to pine for big mountains without numpties (there are plenty of numpties per square m on the pistes round here). Yet I'm still luckier than 99% of UK boarders in that I get to go fairly often throughout winter.

Next winter I'll just have to go out to the Rockies...
snow conditions
...and the Rockies trip is booked! 11 nights in Fernie in early March 2010. My 3 co-conspirators will be flying out from the UK, and I will meet them in Fernie (they've booked me accomodation only).

In other news, Ontario snow is Soon™ - none yet, but looks like 10 days from now we should be seeing open resorts and fresh snoooow Smile

Also bought my first ice skates* at the weekend and spent an hour out on the rink with the other half - being Canadian she skated from the age of 3 weeks or so, so I have some catching up to do.

* Go on, make your jokes - remember this is Canada I'm in now.
ski holidays
mate you're going to love fernie - went there last year, first time in north america on the hills and it was completely different, saving hard for next year.
latest report
Can confirm that Fernie was ace (and was now 2 years ago).
Also been to Whistler for the first time this winter - amazing. Simply amazing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy