Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shalli's permanent vacation to Canada!

Poster: A snowHead
I have some exciting news! Well, exciting for me at least... NehNeh
I'm moving to Canada next year (so long as my company sticks to what it has almost-promised me; just working on getting it finalised in writing). I've persuaded my company to let me move out to the Toronto office (unfortunately there are no stock exchanges in Vancouver so that wasn't on the menu). The target date is 1st Jan 2009, so hopefully I'll be there while the snow is at its best.

So:
  • Goodbye UK!
  • Hello relaxed Canadian lifestyle (hopefully)
  • Hello snow within easy reach of where I'll be living and working

Anyone know the area at all? Any personal recommendations, cautions or advice would mean a lot to me, whether snow-related or not...

Cheers,
-Shalli
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shalli, Lucky you. Do post piccies of the local Ontario resorts. Going green Going green Mr. Green
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
before I could board properly I went to montreal to work, I asked around if they got any snow there and one taxi driver said "no, nothing" Since I got more into boarding it's obvious montreal is where all of the street rail video sections get filmed, lying wannabe french ass hat Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shallimus, From what I've read, it's the fastest growing place in terms of snow-related properties, so you should be in for a good (and profitable) time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Word cannot describe the jealousy one feels at this moment Going green
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shallimus, Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green

Best of luck and enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all!

Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
Shallimus, From what I've read, it's the fastest growing place in terms of snow-related properties, so you should be in for a good (and profitable) time!

I'm still a young 'un (and so don't have a lot of cash yet) - I'll need to own a first home before I start looking at a second! Having said that, I do hope to one day...

As for all you jealous types, you may yet not have to be so green - my move won't be happening til Jan 2009 (or thereabouts) so I have to sit out the rest of this year here. Also, I still haven't got this confirmed in writing yet - there is a chance I could end up in New York, Hong Kong or Tokyo instead, but I have firmly requested Toronto, so I hope the company will make good.

Finally, if anyone has ever ski'd or boarded East Canada, please let me know Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shallimus, there is skiing in Japan too btw wink how about NY?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know there's awesome pow in Japan, and plenty of ice-hills on the East Coast, but a major part of this move is about improving my quality of life, and I don't think moving from London to Tokyo or NYC will help with that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shallimus, have been to eastern canada many times to mont tremblant, which is a small resort that has some good skiing and boarding, but there are also many so called local hills which are usally open at night and day and i think there are some good deals on season passes.
a good link for local info is;
www.tremblant-insider.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IIRC Blue Mountain Resort is near Toronto
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Around Toronto:

Blue Mountain
Devil's Elbow
Horseshoe
Mountain Springs Lodge
Mount St. Louis Moonstone
Pine Ridge Ski Club
Talisman Mountain Resort
High Park Ski Club
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Okanagan. I checked out the web-site of a couple of these after I found a list with some of these on. Have you ever been to any?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update: this is looking a lot more likely now... the office over there seems keen to get their hands on me, and I may even be there before the end of this year... just a question of when my UK office will be willing to let me go. w00h0000!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shallimus, fingers crossed (jammy git)
snow conditions
Thanks Debbi NehNeh Just confirmed that I'm off out for a preview visit to Toronto for a week next month week so I can meet them and they can meet me... wooohooo! No snow out there right now though, bah. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Shallimus wrote:
No snow out there right now though, bah. Crying or Very sad

Probably a good thing: at least it makes it likely you'll turn up to the meeting Laughing
latest report
Shallimus, sounds really promising and with a week there you can explore and see if its you kind of place. Shame about the lack of snow though, but as Swirly says its probably a good thing Cool
latest report
don't want to put too much of a dampener but you'll probably still need to get on a plane if you want to be skiing on mountains rather than hills
snow conditions
Arno, but at least its an internal flight
snow report
Arno, afternoon off work, or weekend, hill with snow 30 minutes away - not a problem. Mountains are just lots of hills connected by chair lifts wink
latest report
rayscoops, have you ever been to Ontario?
snow report
Arno, Its not the uk wink Plus there is always the option of the train to the rockies oh heaven
snow conditions
Shallimus wrote:

Anyone know the area at all? Any personal recommendations, cautions or advice would mean a lot to me, whether snow-related or not...

My brother moved to Toronto many years ago. He initially rented in Forest Hills which was a very pleasant area. Then he bought a house in Brampton Ontario on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. Good train link into the centre.

He is not a skier and I visited in Summer so no ski info. However it was bloody cold in Winter. Buses stop every two hundred yards. You have to let your car warm up for five minutes before you drive off.

It seemed a nice clean city in the Summer. I could imagine what it would be like to live there compared to New York say, which I never really understood.

Although my brother like Canada his wife was a home bird and always missed family and the UK. Eventually they managed to get a transfer back to the UK. His first two children were born in Canada. I am going back a few decades. My brother is a grandfather now.
latest report
I lived in Ontario for several years and to be honest most of the skiing is pretty crap. Tremblant is a bit far from Toronto for anything less than a weekend and most of the areas within easy reach are just hills which soon become boring. Vermont is worth a trip as is Lake Placid area. Other than that you are still facing a plane trip out west and internal flights in Canada aren't always cheap. Enjoy your move but be aware Ontario isn't Alberta or BC.
snow report
Your better off in the UK for skiing than Ontario................
snow report
Thanks again all, will update once I'm in Toronto (no snow, of course, but there you go).

norris: you live in Surrey (so do I for now) so how can you claim skiing in the UK is better than Ontario? Earl Bales Park may not exactly be Fernie, but it's better than anything UK-based south of Scotland (which is flying distance away and doesn't get snowed on half the time) Neh Neh

I know it'll be crowded and small, but I will be snowboarding outside after work for 4+ months a year Neh Neh

Please keep all thoughts coming as you have 'em... Smile thanks again to everyone who has weighed in.
ski holidays
Shallimus,

I'd guess norris meant plentiful formerly reasonably priced flights to the Alps from UK. Lots of Eastern Canadian skiers/boarders head west for their full skiing hols but they have a reputation for being hardcore riders due to more icy conditions in the East
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shallimus,

I would prefer to spend my snow time on real snow up a proper mountain! Having lived in Vancouver myself I know lots of Ontario born people who moved West for the skiing....
snow report
I see, I see. Well, I'm not expecting the Himalayas on my doorstep, but these are all valid points. If I'd had a choice I would have moved to Vancouver, but that wasn't on the menu ("anywhere in Canada you want so long as it's Toronto", basically). Does the east-coast ice mean I'll qualify as hardcore one day? Awesome.

I'm heading out for my first ever visit a week from today, so I'll report back (probably of marginal interest to UK snowHead and not much at all to anyone else, but hey)
ski holidays
Shallimus, have a good trip !
latest report
Goodbye rainy UK.

Hello freezing-your-box-off-and-skiing-on-ice-hills Toronto.

Good luck wink
latest report
Shallimus, Good Luck and enjoy the Tim Hortons!
latest report
TO is 5 hrs drive from 'proper' east coast ice.

At least you're moving to wine country.
snow report
Bah! Trip postponed for 2 weeks as I lost my passport. Stupid I know, but hardly suprising after my last trip abroad: the whirlwind of sleep-deprivation, all-day ice/blizzard riding and nighttime alcohol-fuelled irresponsibility that was my last trip to the snow. I wasn't exactly compos mentis on my return, so must have put it somewhere other than the filing cabinet where it lives when I'm not on tour. Oh well. I'll just have to wait another couple of weeks for my first Double Double wink
snow conditions
Shallimus, what's the skinny on the Canadian NHS? A few years ago I read that long-term visitors could pay a yearly premium to join. About the same price as a year's backpacking insurance but the cover's better . . . however, I can't find any current reference. I'm just about to contact the Consulate but just wondering i you have any info.
snow report
Not sure I'm afraid, Masque Sad As my job includes private health cover (I pay for some, but the company pays the rest and there's some sort of tax break, I dunno - I just pay it!) I haven't really looked into it too much so far as goes moving to Canadialand. As I'm only going to visit the medics for serious stuff, I don't make much use of the NHS here (1 visit every 5 years or so) and hope this won't have to change for a looooong time.

I did find this though: Some sort of vaguely-commercial-but-potentially-informative website on the topic and Wikipedia's take. It seems that permanent residents are generally entitled to a decent level of cover (especially when compared to the US!) and it seems like things are roughly comparable to the UK (but please check with someone qualified to advise you Smile like a Canadian, or a medical professional or immigration lawyer or someone with a fully functional brain).
snow conditions
So, I eventually made it out to Toronto for my preview week. I'm really impressed by the city, I really like my new office (and its inhabitants seem pretty cool) and just generally I'm very excited about the move.

In true obsessive style, I made it out to Earl Bales Park for a look around.

This is a view taken looking about due south from Sheppard Ave W just west of Roycrest Ave. Lush and green, isn't it? Pay particular attention to the small patch of clear grass towards the right-hand side of the horizon.

Walking through the park to the bottom of that area, you find this:

This is about 15-minute walk from a Toronto metro station, and is also one more chairlift than I've ever seen in England. Sure, it's a bit snowless in July...

...but in winter the hill looks a little something like this:

Last picture isn't mine, but was taken by HalCalvin, a Panoramio user.

I know, I know, Chamonix it ain't, but it's open 10-12 weeks per year and it will be right on my doorstep once I move... Razz
snow conditions
Shallimus, Go for it !!!
snow report
Thanks DebbiDoesSnow. Although I do have other things drawing me to Canada, the proper winter is certainly one of the biggest lures for me.

Of course, I'll probably be less thankful once I have a driveway to keep shovelled, eh?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy