Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Amounts of Ski over christmas, new year

Poster: A snowHead
I've read a couple posts similar to this, so please don't just shout to use the search.

There's a group of us going skiing over Christmas and New Year and we're stuck on resorts. I've been skiing a few times but not for 10 years so no pretty much nothing.

I've spoken to a couple of people about Val Thorens, it's been said on here too that it's a good bet because of th high altitude, plus I've been before and thought it was a great resort. Ski to door was a big plus.

However, others aren't so keen, mainly wanting a cabin, rather than an appartment. Only thing is that looking at the amount of snow at other resorts (this years seems to have been good) last year Les Arcs was only showing 7cm on lower slopes and others were showing historically half of the amount Val Thorens had. How much snow would you guys look for before you felt safe(ish) that the snow would be good?

Cheers if you can help, it'd be really appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hobbes, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Snow depth is only one half of the equation....the other consideration is what's underneath. I'd be happy enough with 7 cm if it was over grass, I'd want an awful lot more if the base was rock!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hobbes, welcome to snowHead snowHead

In addition to what Elizabeth B said you also have to look at the chances of bad weather at that time of the year, you may want a resort with trees in addition to high altitude.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, and thanks for the welcome. So you reckon that 7cm is alright for the lower resorts then as they're more likely to have grass because that's answered quite a big question.

Would you recommend somewhere else in the 3 valleys? Perhaps Meribel, or a whole different area? My father skiis quite a bit and mentioned La Plagne.

Clueless... I'm going with my girlfriend for two weeks meeting the rest out there for the second week. I remember the first time I went skiing the second week made it more enjoyable as a holiday where the first week was all about having to learn. (This is her first time skiing).

We're meeting the others there for the second week so was thinking we could even do one week Val Thorens (christmas) and then move down to a large joint chalet in Meribel for new year. Anyone ever changed mid holiday, you think moving bags etc would be a pain?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hobbes, I think sorting out a transfer between resorts may be more of a pain than you think it would be, unless you have your own transport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've not skied for years I'm guessing you won't be gearing up and heading off piste straightaway so your choice of resort can be extended to basically anywhere with a decent snowcannon network.

Of course skiing the white ribbon of death (aka the snowgun brazillian) isn't everyone's idea of authentic alpine atmosphere wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hobbes

The high French resorts (e.g. Val D'Isere, Val Thorens) are a good bet. I've also enjoyed Christmas/New Year holidays in Saas Fee, Zermatt (Switzerland) and pre-Christmas holidays in Obergurgl and Flachau (Austria). Plans are afoot to return to the Flachau area (Ski Amade) this December.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hobbes, when you say the others want a "cabin" what exactly do they have in mind - and what sort of skiers are they? Where have they been before?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hobbes, As Elizabeth B said it is important to note snow depths although i'm guessing you realise 7cm would just never be enough... but 20cm is fine if it's on grass. On the other hand 20cm in the rockies would be pointless, its at least 160cm before rocks start disappearing. Welcome snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ Rossfra8 So, you think 7cm isn't enough? Someone further up the thread thought it would be. To be honest I'd be looking for a bit more, I reckon you can get 7cm in Scotland...
I've been using the historical snow reports for the resorts on here:
http://www.igluski.com/viewsnowhistory.cfm?rid=22&from=snowreport
You've probably all seen it. Thing is I don't know if the depths are packed (piste) or powder. Anyone know how they measure the depth?

@ pam w, they just don't want an appartment and Val Thorens seems to be all apartment blocks. They want a stand alone Chalet, which I'm guessing is much more likely in a lower altitude townish resort.

@ Helen Beaumont, Cheers, I thought it might be. I've heard that if you book the whole thing through an operator then they can organise the bags to go on the bus while you skiied from say Val Thorens to Meribel.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skied at Christmas for the last 10+ years, either in Courchevel or Les Arcs. Always had enough snow for the majority of the pistes to be open, even in seasons when early conditions weren't great, and sometimes had very good snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hobbes, is it a catered chalet you are looking for - with meals provided? Or to rent a whole chalet for self catering. Very different ways of going about it - if the latter, you would probably need to look at the websites used by private owners, or the resort accommodation pages, and then book the travel and transfer on a DIY basis. If you want a catered chalet then there are plenty of those run by UK Tour Operators, in higher resorts like Les Arcs, or Val Thorens, and at Christmas/New Year that would certainly be a better bet.

Looking at historical snow records is of limited usefulness, quite honestly, because the variation year on year, and between different resorts in the same year, is enormous. And some resorts have better snow-making than others, and some resorts have a better spread of runs at different altitudes. Advice you get on here is probably more useful.

What else are you looking for in a resort - what sort of facilities, expensive or cheaper, ski schools, etc etc

Are you going for 2 weeks - renting a private chalet for, say, 10 people self catering, would cost many thousands of euros for those two weeks. Maybe 6-7,000 euros judging by the research I was doing for a family party in our local small French resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hobbes, Welcome to snowHead 's. IMHO you've go to go somewhere that has access to a significant area of high altitude skiing if you want to avoid the risk of real disappointment at this time of year. My only "dud" skiing holiday over the last 10 years was in La Clusaz (a very nice town and, in the right conditions, a fine ski area) at New Year. The whole area "broke down" with overcrowded lifts to the small islands of snow at the top of the peaks, and horrendous bus issues since it wasn't possible to ski any connections between them.

From my limited personal experience I'd suggest Val D'Isere (or Tignes depending on budget) or Les Arcs - which also has lots of tree skiing if there's enough snow but wind or low viz is an issue. (Tignes can be a bit of problem in this department I believe). Specifically I'd go for LA 1800 as it has one lift up to the higher stuff and has tree lined on the doorstep. Lots of diiferent types of accom too. Happy hunting!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

renting a private chalet for, say, 10 people self catering, would cost many thousands of euros for those two weeks.

that isn't to say, of course, that a catered chalet wouldn't be even more - because it would!! Depending on the size of your group, even if it is very small (say 6 or 7 people) you can find small catered chalets where you can book the whole chalet. You then only have to fight with your mates about who gets the best rooms! I think if we knew a bit more about your party, and the kind of skiing you're looking for, we could provide some better advice. Between us we've stayed in most places. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone, really thanks a lot. It's great how helpful everyone is being.

Basically
Week one, 2 people small self catered appartment over christmas

Week two, 6-8 people catered chalet over new year.

I was thinking that after week one we could transfer into the larger chalet and have new year with friends but we're definitely going for christmas too. Firstly I think 2 weeks is better for my girlfriends first ski holiday, second we've got christmas on a rota and this is our year to do what we'd like, if not this year for christmas snow then it'll be 3 years time...

I suppose if it got difficult then we could just stay in the small apartment for the two weeks and see them in the pub! but then it would only be for 6 people in the chalet.

@rob Cheers, I'll have a look at Couchevel now, that's part of the three valleys right? If it's not got good snow you can buy a larger ski pass and head over to Val Thorens? I know the full 3 Valley passes would be expensive.
snow report
hobbes wrote:

@rob Cheers, I'll have a look at Couchevel now, that's part of the three valleys right? If it's not got good snow you can buy a larger ski pass and head over to Val Thorens? I know the full 3 Valley passes would be expensive.

to be honest the difference between a Courchevel and 3Vs pass isnt that great, especially when compared to the total price of the holiday! (for your partners first couple of weeks i doubt she'd be able to get across to VT anyway)
latest report
@kewhoward - Perfect, thanks exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.
ski holidays
hobbes, if it's your girlfriend's first ski holiday I'd say that choice of ski school is probably the most important factor in whetrher she takes to skiing or not. If she likes the ski school experience she'll probably feel happy with everything else as well. Courchevel would be a good, albeit expensive, choice as there are a small number of excellent British ski schools there. I've had good experiences with both New generation and Supreme ski schools.

Courchevel has a good network of snow cannons to help put down a base if the natural stuff is in short supply, has a good reputation for snow management and has ideal terrain for beginners and novice skiers.
snow conditions
hobbes, I would strongly agree with rob@rar, Courchevel would be excellent and there are some chalets in 1650 which wouldn't break the bank. It would be more fun to be with your friends in the same chalet and a week self-catering will probably be enough! Unless your girlfriend is a fast and confident learner she would probably enjoy two weeks in the same place, so she can have runs where she feels really happy, and can branch out from there. Nowhere has better learning facilities. And for you, even the Courchevel valley has tons of skiing. We spent a week in Courchevel 1650 in January 2002 when the snow everywhere was very poor. We were in Ski School (New Gen - excellent) and only did the Courchevel valley but very experienced skiers in our chalet went everywhere and said that 1650 had the best snow in the whole of the 3 Valleys, and that Val Thorens was a bit stony!
ski holidays
Perfect you're all great. Thanks very much for all the help. We've pretty much all agreed to Courchevel 1650.
snow report
Hi Hobbes, I would agree with the above, Courchevel is a lovely resort, I have worked a season there, plenty going on and a nice high resort, you get the best of both worlds as can easily ski into Meribel, and over to Val Thorens if you would like to go back there.

I have stayed in La Tania on holiday more recently, its really lovely with all the chalets, it has a pedestrian area so nice and safe and many of the chalets are ski back to the door. The ski schools also meet in the village so nice and close, its also alot cheaper down there then anywhere else in Courchevel, even a salad lunch in 1650 can be pricey! and if needed there are snow cannons right back to the village...

I would definately go for a catered chalet option, its so nice to have the meals cooked for you, especailly on Christmas day! Try the UK tour operators, I stayed with Ski Beat.

Hope you get something sorted soon!
snow conditions
Quote:

Are you going for 2 weeks - renting a private chalet for, say, 10 people self catering, would cost many thousands of euros for those two weeks. Maybe 6-7,000 euros judging by the research I was doing for a family party in our local small French resort.

I've been looking at a self catering holiday for 10 of us at Christmas, general cost seems to be £1500-£2000 per week, there are some nice chalets around for that price, although they all tend to be in the lower resorts. It looks like we are going to chose an MGM apartment in Les Carroz.
ski holidays
I love skiing in France! wrote:
I stayed with Ski Beat.
course you stayed with them since you work for them rolling eyes

Stop trying to be Sneaki Beat about it, fess up and get on with enjoying being part of snowHeads.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy