Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnOasis gets the go ahead

Poster: A snowHead
Following government approval today, work on SnOasis can begin. Located in a disused quarry in Suffolk, the indoor winter sports resort will cost an estimated £350 million and cover 350 acres.
...Source: http://www.snoasis.co.uk/snoasis/?q=latest_news
For more info on snowHeads see: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=940364#940364
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good one Very Happy

Now they 'just' have to deliver on all those BIG promises Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see that one of the reasons behind the south east location is that it's "Where the majority of regular skiers live...."

True or false? Can any snowHead substantiate this??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39622
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£350 million! How are they going to get their investment back?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crusader wrote:
£350 million! How are they going to get their investment back?

It's more than just a snow dome, it'll be something like a sporty Centreparks when it's finished.

quote from their site:
Quote:
Apart from the exceptional range of winter sports, SnOasis offers visitors a variety of other sports and activities. For the dedicated athlete these include, a multi-purpose sports hall, health and fitness centre, national standard triathlon course and a 1.5 kilometre rollerblading track.
Keen sports people will be able to enjoy a series of other activities encompassing, outdoor sports pitches, tennis, 10-pin bowling, rowing, windsurfing, sailing, canoeing and fishing.

My brother will be happy he lives in Suffolk Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crusader, resi.

They actually have a condition to satisfy before final permission granted, final decision due on 17th Sept. To do with their carbon footprint.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
I see that one of the reasons behind the south east location is that it's "Where the majority of regular skiers live...."

Depends what they mean by regular! I would have thought the majority of once a year holiday skiers live there, not sure about regular skiers though - would have thought there were more in Scotland and all over the country at dry slopes and the other snowdomes!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It will be about 20 mins from me Smile I will probably try it depending on cost, but to be honest, my loyalty really lies with Paul Trinder and his staff at the Ipswich Ski Slope, I have skied there since the very first day it opened when it faced the other way and the boot room was nothing more than a hut !!, for what I want to get from skiing (confidence and enjoyment) the current slope is enough for me.

I just hope the Ski Centre will have enough custom to survive once Snoasis is up and running. Puzzled

The rest of the facilities do sound good though and I hope they will be available for all on a pay per use basis and not an expensive membership deal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pippivixen wrote:
It will be about 20 mins from me Smile I will probably try it depending on cost, but to be honest, my loyalty really lies with Paul Trinder and his staff at the Ipswich Ski Slope, I have skied there since the very first day it opened when it faced the other way and the boot room was nothing more than a hut !!, for what I want to get from skiing (confidence and enjoyment) the current slope is enough for me.

I just hope the Ski Centre will have enough custom to survive once Snoasis is up and running. Puzzled

The rest of the facilities do sound good though and I hope they will be available for all on a pay per use basis and not an expensive membership deal.

I just had a flashback to when sheffield was a portacabin!!!!

I think as more and more indoor slopes come online and profits are made not only on the snow but within the complex bigger and better ones will appear leading to all the plastic dissapearing.......

I think the the real winner will be the man who buys a load of hilly land and covers it with a network of insulated poly tunnels to provide something a lot longer and more varied than current indoor offerings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I live 10 minutes from the door I can't wait!! I want a membership deal then I can quit the gym and ski all year round! yippee!! Razz
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, I was considering that very question the other day and concluded most were from up north if you take the snowheads distribution as representative of the UK skiing community. I'm sure the London elite will flock to snoasis because they have the money, time home location to make it feasible for a weekend getaway. It's a bit out of the way for me so I will just have to make do with my new snow-dome in Hemel from April next year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like this quote from the Snoasis website:
"It will house Europe’s largest indoor ski slope, measuring 415 metres by 70 metres with a 100 metre vertical drop, enabling skiers of all abilities to progress from beginner to a level matching their abilities, all under one roof, in the world’s first winter sports resort. The slope will not only provide family fun, it features training, competition and championship facilities for elite athletes in a number of internationally recognised disciplines, including: Downhill, Combined, Slalom, Freestyle, Moguls, Aerials, Big Air, Half Pipe and Ski Across."
Puzzled ski across what...? Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Bell wrote:
Puzzled ski across what...? Laughing

LOL, ski across the slope?

Is that an "internationally recognised discipline"? Wink
snow report
It will be 40 miles down the road from us in Norwich, and while I' sure we will use it, I'm also sure it will be far too expensive to replace our twice weekly sessions on Norwich slope (which actually don't cost me anything, as voluntary time worked for the club is repaid as slope time!)- I would expect perhaps a monthly treat?
snow report
Martin Bell, Ski across what ? you said, they've missed out the L, the latest snazzy new snowsport Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Now they 'just' have to deliver on all those BIG promises Shocked

Snoasis will be:

1. A mega-project run by the Brits. Recent history shows that most British mega-projects under-deliver on their promises. The Dome is one example.

2. Competing for resources and staff at roughly the same time as the 2012 Olympics just down the road. This means costs will spiral.

On balance, the Snoasis mega-project stands an above-average chance of being off-time, off-budget and off-quality.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

In revenue terms, aflluent southeasterners are likely to spend far more on skiing than their poorer northern cousins.
snow conditions
Whitegold, which idiots built Xscape Castleford and Chillfactore rolling eyes
A nice gesture though towards the great Northern unwashed.
rolling eyes
snow report
Whitegold,
Quote:
In revenue terms, aflluent southeasterners are likely to spend far more on skiing than their poorer northern cousins.
IMHO is to out of the way for the bulk of the country. Sounds great, consider this, I've a snow slope not 15 mins away, drive past it twice a day, ChillFactore, i've been once. That was once too often. 20 secs ski-ing and 3 mins queueing, 2 mins on the tow. This slope will be longer of course. Just hope they manage the lifts better than the other indoor facilites around the country. Rather spend my money on real snow!
Frosty Shocked Hmmm, so I need a wash then?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Whitegold, which idiots built Xscape Castleford and Chillfactore rolling eyes
A nice gesture though towards the great Northern unwashed.
rolling eyes

They are not really mega-projects. They are tiny sheds built on the side of a molehill.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Large freezers, surely? Very Happy
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
Whitegold, Sheds? Large freezers, surely? Very Happy
latest report
The dry-slope is great at Ipswich but it could be a lot longer. They originally planned for it be longer with a greater drop when they built the current slope, but never materialized. Whilst i do feel for the Trinder family that have put so much into it, times must move on and for a boarder, snow is so much better. There are alot of things that go on wrong with, but if it succeeds it will be a great addition to the area - oh plus means I will have somewhere 20mins from my front door.
snow report
We,ve got a choice of 2 or 3 freezers up here but I'd much rather ski outside.

In the Lake District Raise managed at least 25 days natural snow skiing this year, though the North Pennine clubs had rather less !

I'm sure its about time though that the south got some decent skiing facilities. Laughing
snow conditions
In fact its now quite in the bag yet. Communities Secreatry Hazel Blears is minded to approve with a formal decision due by September. The two outstanding issues are mitigation for great crested Newts on the site - free skiing perhaps ? - and a desir eto get 100% renewable energy to power the site.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115316137837.html
latest report
croskemj, I remember the plans for the dry slope at Ipswich, as I recall the development was started just before the bust period at the end of the eighties which was why the extension to the slope did not materialise; apparantly it was not viable. Makes you wonder, although snow is better than dry slopes, if a development to extend a dry slope was not viable in Ipswich perhaps it's wishfull thinking to expect the worlds largest snow dome to be viable in Ipswich. The developer must be expecting to pull in a huge number of vsistors staying for mini-breaks. It may be that day visitors will have to buy a day pass and pay for each individual activity? rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tommy, in a word: Marketing.

Artificial snow slopes, such as Xscape, Snowdome, Chill Factore are backed by *big* money with extensive marketing budgets. They *have* to get the punters through the door, else they are bust. Conversely, an artificial plastic slope can be run on a (very small) shoestring: their running costs are comparitavely small. This means that an extension to the slope is a *major* expenditure relative to the income it generates. So the fact that Ipswich slope could't justify an extension (not that I've worked out where you think they'd put it Happy), doesn't mean that that part of England can't support an artificial snow slope.

Of course, you all know that the biggest artificial snow-slope of the time, SSAWS, was demolished some years ago to make way for an Ikea... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSAWS

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 19-05-08 22:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
RobW,That part of England can't support a snow slope of that size, the whole of Egnalnd will have to! Laughing

Good luck to em!
latest report
RobW wrote:
Of course, you all know that the biggest artificial snow-slope of the time, SSAWS, was demolished some years ago to make way for an Ikea... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSAWS

I suspect that land prices are a bit lower in Ipswich than they were in Tokio.
snow conditions
Day trippers are part of making it viable, so it will certainly maintain an open door. Our nearest is Milton Keynes and whilst we had a great time there last Saturday, even it needs a little more length. The Tokyo was overpriced and timed very badly for Japan. It cost $50 for 2 hours skiing back in 1993! Very expensive!
snow report
As I understand it the plan is to charge people just to enter the complex, I think the figure £7.70 has been bandied about. I think the idea behind this is to ensure it doesn't kill local centres - ie. it's meant to attract people for leisure activities, not locals to do their shopping.

Whether or not this charge happens is a different matter - i think they will find it difficult to let the retail units if they have to enforce this charge, as it will limit footfall.
snow report
Hai,

I've bin reading up on the story about another ski-centre in Ipswich and found the name Paul Trinder. Does anyone of you know him?
xxx
snowgirl
ski holidays
dutch snowgirl, welcome to Snowheads.

By "another ski-centre" do you mean Snoasis? I don't know Paul Trinder, but I think he may run the dry slope in Ipswich.
snow report
Yes, I mean Snoasis.
I know a Paul Trinder and I was wondering if it was the same person I red about on this forum.
snow conditions
Paul Trinder is (according to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/6351083.stm) owner and manager of existing artificial ski slope/golf range/ropes course in Ipswich - the Suffolk Ski Center (http://www.suffolkskicentre.co.uk/). Although I don't know Paul, I know the slope well and it's well run and one of the best artificial slopes in the country - I expect it will be hard hit if SnOasis actually happens.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy