Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mont Brequin (pics Inc) First day of Off Piste/Touring Week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
O what a week !
I missed the EOSB,Paul my instructor friend was still working for ESF in Les Menuires (which was most annoying).
They usually finish at least a couple of weeks before VT but not this year,oh well such is life.

Day one warm up.

Mont Brequin North face.
I hadnt slept at the night before as i'd been driving all night down from the uk and only arrived in Val T at 6 in the morning at Johnnyboys so
although the mind was ready the body was somewhat tired.We decided on an easy start as we had some pretty good ski touring planned with
Paul's Family (One High mountain Guide and 4 Instructors) later in the week from there home in Val D'Isere.

We took the Cime Caron lift then down into the valley of the Lou not along the ridge before beginning the climb up the back of Mont Brequin.
The snow was pretty soft to start but became icy and windswept as we got higher,It was a lovely day though and quite warm.
The North Facing (Couloir de la Facette Nord) was in excellent condition,Loaded with snow making for a great first day decent ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Topsmoke,

Looks nice..good snow for so late
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At last ! Iv'e been waiting all season for this,Into the Vanoise National park from Val D'Isere with Paul and his family,What an honour.
Destination today Pointe de Mean Martin at 3330m far away in the distance ! Cool

Leaving the Refuge du Fond des Fours with Sister,Mother,Father and Sisters Partner and Guide Jean Luc,Mt Mean Martin directly behind a little closer now but still quite a climb across
the Glacier des Fours and up to the summit.The weather is perfect today,sun,blue sky,no wind.

Made it !,On the summit of Mean Martin some 4 hrs later !Totally knackered The Camel back is empty,Im on empty,But what a view.
Pointe de La Sana and I believe Grande Casse (Not today wink )behind.Stunning absolutly stunning !So peacefull.

A nice decent on the North face followed,But numerous slow moving avalanche's were bieng triggered which were easily skied out of.
aller aller aller Mark(strange feeling under foot though,very strange). Skullie

Just another small climb up to the Col du Pisset today follwed by a massive east facing snow field on the other side (So Nice)

Time for some well earned rest. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice, with the actual amounts of snow the touring is superb.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Topsmoke, ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I adore that place - fantastic pictures ....

Is that 'Belgian' Jean Luc .... ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC wrote:
Topsmoke, ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I adore that place -

As the Discerning should do wink

BernardC wrote:

Is that 'Belgian' Jean Luc .... ?

Im not sure to be honest,I would have to ask Paul but I dont think so his name is Jean Luc Ligeon,président du Bureau des Guides in the Belleville valley.A great guy ! He took the Coulior on the North Face of Mean Martin (You know the one 10 yards or so to the east of the summit) Awsome to see ! Skullie

http://guides-belleville.pagespro-orange.fr/maitre.htm

btw : I would be very interested in your rope weekend should it happen the Wales some time this summer,Something I must improve on before next year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Topsmoke, .... this is the Bonmartin Couloir ...

... we are just ready to go in .... guide Francis (shown in picture) says he will cut the slab on the right, if I cut it on the left ..... (I get picked because I tip the scales at 90 kilos)

... all done nicely and I, Yoda, & Homphomp, follow. I can't remember how steep it is exactly, I'll have to check - but it is steep!

However, we have perfected a new type of skiing ... not Ski-mountaineering, or Backcountry skiing, but 'Gnarly' Skiing ... Toofy Grin - We hike/skin for an hour or so, cut away slabs in steep couloirs, jump into them and ski down, but when they become less than 45 degrees, we just plum stop & climb straight back up them ...... and then skin back for a couple of hours ... Laughing

(I will make a full report, with photos, on "The Day that Never Was ... " .... when time allows .. Toofy Grin

I will let you know details on the rope course as soon as I organise it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
He took the Coulior on the North Face of Mean Martin (You know the one 10 yards or so to the east of the summit) Awsome to see ! Skullie

My mistake west of the summit back towards the ridge you know it.A very narrow entrance that opens up after a while but sustained at 50 I think he said. Down to the rocks below straight off the summit in the photo where there is like a v shape cut out.I cant remember the name of it,You can see his tracks as he traversed back across under the rocks/cliffs.
I have never seen anything like it,I thought he was joking to start with !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Topsmoke, .... most French guides don't joke ..... I joked with one once, '.... that he was too slow skinning .. ' Toofy Grin

(This was a sarcastic remark, as he was motoring quite fast, at about 500m per hour) ... and I just about lived to regret it .. as he upped the pace ....

On reflection, I recognised that the joke showed poor judgement on my part - and my two companions that day agreed ... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC wrote:
[b]
On reflection, I recognised that the joke showed poor judgement on my part - and my two companions that day agreed ... Toofy Grin

Ouch sounds painfull Laughing

I look forward too reading the post of your trip ! (The day that never was) Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy