Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

whistler info for first timer?

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone just wondering if people can give me some info on whistler? basically whats the place like, i've only ever been to europe and places like oburgurgl and la thuile so how does it compare to places like that? does it get busier than resorts like this up on the slopes in mid jan? also are there any canadian holidays i should watch out for round then? whats the terrain like easy or hard? im intermmidiate so all blues and most reds in europe, would i be ok in whistler?

thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MLK holiday in the US. Terrain suitable for everyone

It's kinda like this

http://youtube.com/v/vBV7RN83oEs
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler is awesome! Ability wise, you'll be fine. It caters for beginners right through to complete nutters.
Whistler is pretty busy by Canadian standards but I still found it to be quieter than most European resorts. Weekends can get a bit busy because of the influx of people from Vancouver and Seattle. If you decide to take a day off from skiing to do one of the many other activities available, You might want to make it a Saturday. I recommend trying the zip trekking!

Also, if you plan on taking any lessons, you might want to consider taking these at the weekend because you'll get lift line priority.

Canada is very cold in January but Whistler is one of the milder resorts so you'll probably be ok. Be prepared for some rain in the village and the lower slopes but just bear in mind that when it rains in the village, it usually means great snow on the upper slopes.

You're going to love it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is almost too much to comprehend at first glance. Now the peak-to-peak gondola is ready to roll. A gondola ride from the peak of Whistler to the peak of Blackcomb, so anyone who has the stamina can ski both mountains in a single day. Engineered and built by our Swiss and Austrian friends. Over 4 kilometres long, with the world's longest unsupported cable length - 3.3 kilometres between towers. About 1400 ft. above the valley floor at it's lowest point, equipped with a airplane warning system for obvious reasons. I can't wait to try it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haha nice video. when you say busy by canadian standards does that mean it will still be cluttered up on the slopes mid week?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sealy wrote:
It is almost too much to comprehend at first glance. Now the peak-to-peak gondola is ready to roll. A gondola ride from the peak of Whistler to the peak of Blackcomb, so anyone who has the stamina can ski both mountains in a single day. Engineered and built by our Swiss and Austrian friends. Over 4 kilometres long, with the world's longest unsupported cable length - 3.3 kilometres between towers. About 1400 ft. above the valley floor at it's lowest point, equipped with a airplane warning system for obvious reasons. I can't wait to try it.

It's possibly the world's most pointless gimmick. Anyone could spank it down from the Roundhouse in about 6-7 minutes and hop on the Blackcomb gondy as it is. I reckon will just add to early pm havoc around both area as people try to cross over.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shapes, mid jan congestion won't be a problem at all. besides if you wait in a queue in Canada its a completely different experience to a queue in Europe ie. everyone waits their turn!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queues for lifts dont bother me really, just wondering about congestion on the slopes, i like to have space to roam around without having people all around me
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shapes, yeah, you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
sealy wrote:

It's possibly the world's most pointless gimmick. Anyone could spank it down from the Roundhouse in about 6-7 minutes and hop on the Blackcomb gondy as it is. I reckon will just add to early pm havoc around both area as people try to cross over.

I for one am not into "spanking" it down anywhere, especially in view of the ever-vigilant ski patrol. After decades on the slopes, I like to relax a little and smell the roses. I'm sure many others feel the same. You can "spank" it if you are of a mind. I'll probably see you on the Blackcomb lifts as I cruise by down below.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler is busier than some of the minor Canadian resorts but slope congestion only really a concern during busy weekends, and not at all as bad as Europe. Blackcomb is also generally quieter than Whistler so ride Blackcomb if you think it is going to be busy.
Also, if you're up for it - hire a guide to access some fantastic backcountry just beyond the boundaries. The musical bumps are within easy reach off Whistler or the Spearhead Glacier by Blackcomb. Always quiet!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
personally i was disappointed by the slopes in whislter blackcombe, most of the time the upper slopes were closed due to high winds. this place is near the coast (north pacific) so windy and we hardly had any let up from snowing all the time, could hardly see anything for 2 weeks over xmas / new year - only found out that this was the norm when we got there tho)

the hospitality, service, accommodation really good i must admit, but skiing so samey samey. every slope feels same as the other - bit boring if you ask me

in europe you often go off on a safari, nevva kno where you are, going all over place and in different directions and intricate mountain slopes etc - not in whistler, all slopes feel and look the same with tree line motorways, so difficult to do off-piste wiv trees there.

Alhough - weather permitting - go up to the glacier it was the most amazing powder experience i ever had when it had fresh snow on it (and of course it was actually open for a change - since it is not always)

shame really, never been so excited to go on holiday in my life and wot a let down....

others might say different, just telling you how it was from my experience - best places i have been are tignes and verbier...

slide and glide well my friends

xxx
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hmmm thats put a cat amongst the pigeons. me and my gf had narrowed it down to either whistler, fernie or somewhere in austria. man we cant decide haha
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree entirely with innerspaceservices, - we were in Whistler for first time in March, 2 skiers and 2 snowboarders. We were really excited as we love Banff and Lake Louise. Whistler for 3 of the 4 of us was a major letdown and disappointment and we wouldn't go again.
It was not bad, but it did not live up to the hype. The BIG problem for us was very poor visibility most of the 2 weeks we were there. Only very briefly did we have any clear skies. You could be skiing down a piste and suddenly hit a thick low cloud bank which effectively put an end to the fun. My 18 year old snow boarding son did absolutely love Whistler but he was off with an instructor on expert lessons off piste most of the time.
One day the sky cleared briefly and we had a ball on 7th Heaven but then all too soon the cloud came down and we had to creep back down. Tedious and frustrating. Whistler just does not have the wow or pure joy factor which we get in Banff or indeed flying down some of the runs in the 3 Valleys. We also found the visitors were nowhere near as polite or friendly as those in Banff and Lake Louise. Next time we're going back to Banff.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Poor vis = pow most of the time, so fine by me.

I must admit to hitting poor vis and low banks of cloud almost everywhere I have ever been on the slopes (EOSB VT April 08 !!) so I would not let that put you off Very Happy
ski holidays
poor vis:tree skiing
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
arv, Generally I would agree with you (elsewhere), but didn't help at all in Whistler. Often the cloud was so thick you could not see a tree or a skier 8 feet away!
snow conditions
paul.kin, ah, never skied whistler myself but would love to go.
latest report
paul.kin, on days when you can not see the trees there are quite a few fine establishments to sample the odd glass alcoholic beverage - and the waitresses tended to be easy on the eye too Very Happy
latest report
shapes, This might help, been a couple of time and will say that Jan is cold, very cold
weather can be a bit of an issue if the clouds come in. you can end up skiing in rain on the lower slopes
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skicanada2006/index.html
snow conditions
I think the thing with Whistler as evidenced above and with stories I've had from friends who've been as well. If you spend a lot of time there or repeatedly visit there is plenty to love. If you go as a big splurge holiday with big expectations for 7-10 days you can get shut down by the weather and come back with a poor impression.

I was there one week when the alpine was totally shut down for 4 days but the day it opened was very memorable Very Happy. Glad I'd taken a day off the day before to trudge around the valley in the rain howver rather than dicing with the lower mountain crowds.

Of course anywhere can get shut down by weather, except La Ros which obviously has a special agreement with God himself, but when people have sprung for transatlantic flights and often costly hotels they seem to be more bitter about it.
latest report
I might be going there for a fortnight next season so hopefully cloud can't stay low for that long Laughing
snow report
You'll be hoping it stays low for the first week giving epic tree skiing then open bowl skiing when it lifts!
snow conditions
Quote:

My 18 year old snow boarding son did absolutely love Whistler but he was off with an instructor on expert lessons off piste most of the time.

And that is the big clue.

You need to be with someone that knows the place like the back of their hand, so that even in poor vis, he/she will find places that will still challenge your, and believe it or not, find good vis despite half the mountain being in fog.

On days when the rest of the population had given up, our clients were the exact opposite because we knew where to go.
snow report
I like Whistler but it does hype itself up something rotten
snow conditions
ah now i cant decide on anything haha, banff has emerged again as a contender so i now have whistler, fernie, banff, oburgurgl and my gf says she likes the look of levi as there are lots of other things to do but the hill looks to small for me so will knock that one on the head. does the bus ride in banff not get annoying everyday though? france iver never fancied, i skied over to la rosiere from italy a few yrs back and it was so busy on the french side just wasnt enjoyable. i know la ros is a quiet french resort so cant imagine what other places would be like would be crazy more like dodgems then skiing haha
latest report
Quote:

does the bus ride in banff not get annoying everyday though?

It depends how much you like buses, whether you get on straight away and whether it -5 or -35 when you are waiting for it. We were there in March in good sunny weather so no it wasnt the end of the world but I could have done without it after a few days. If it was -35 and the bus sailed past, full up I might have been of a different view. They are well organised and frequent so you never wait that long, but you could be un;ucky.

We normally go to Whistler if we go to Canada, where we walk to the lifts from where we stay.

It can get crap weather......no point in trying to kid you otherwise but generally crap weather in the village/lower slopes means new snow up top.

I have been there 7-8 times at varying dates. The Alpine has never been closed all day in any of my trips let alone for multiple days. Sometimes you dont get up until later in the morning if they are doing avi control.

I cant agree more with Veeeight. The way to do Whistler is with a local (if you can) or via Ski School.

Quote:

skiing so samey samey. every slope feels same as the other - bit boring if you ask me ........

not in whistler, all slopes feel and look the same with tree line motorways, so difficult to do off-piste wiv trees there.

All that I can say is that I just dont recognise that description of the Whistler that I have been to but each to his own.

It does snow a lot in a good year so you are going to get a lot of days with relatively poor vis, but great snow. If you want clear blue skies and sunny....go somewhere else as you will likely not get it
latest report
ah sod it, ive skied in la thuile and we had gale force winds, -12 degrees and snow/hail coming down couldnt see 6inches past my nose and i survived that lol, whistler here i come haha
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shapes, good on you.
ski holidays
I've not had rain or bad visibility in Whistler but I've had them in many European resorts,
There is some amazing steeper skiing and if that turns you on then definitely do 2 days with "Extremely Canadian" who are the steep and deep people (doing alternate days at Whistler and Blackcomb).
There is some good tree skiing and lots of glade skiing.

You mentioned Obergurgl but that is a much smaller resort and quite limited.
ski holidays
innerspaceservices wrote:

not in whistler, all slopes feel and look the same with tree line motorways, so difficult to do off-piste wiv trees there.

I can't help but smile Madeye-Smiley

For future reference. bad viz = ski trees

As someone has already said, there's so much incredible skiing at Whistler/Blackcomb that it really helps to have some local knowledge. Then you know where to have fun when the alpine is closed and the viz is variable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy