Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere - training runs take place

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From PG via SMS just now :

great conditions for the first training run with no wind, forst overnight and sunshine. Piste in perfect condition.

No doubt a full report will follow ... stay tuned for breaking news Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One very upset Bode Miller, despite recording the 5th fastest time. Disqualified under rule 627. We were all wondering why there was a 20 minute delay before Miller came down - an equipment rule infringement apparently.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The same equipment he's been using for the first comps?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrong race suit - GS instead of downhill. Hence the delay, but they let him do the run, he didn't know he'd been disqualified until he got to the bottom. Still doesn't affect the start order tomorrow though, apparently as they only managed today's practice (yesterday's was cancelled) they use WC rankings irrespective of today's performances. A shame for some of those starting in the 50s and 60s who managed to pull themselves up into the top 30.

Bode Miller looked ominously relaxed though, he was almost standing up through the last two gates - Maier may be in pole position, but....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, could you explain what the difference between the suits is and why it matters?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At a guess I would say that DH suits have different friction/wind resistant properties to GS suits.

Glad that Bode will get to run tomorrow - it would have been a shame to disqualify him on what was probably a silly mistake.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These are the FIS rules on race suits:

Quote:
Racing suits Competition suits and any clothing worn beneath, such as underwear, etc., may not be plasticised or treated by any chemical means (gaseous, liquid or solid). Seams may only exist in order to join the portions of the suit. Outer tucks and darts are not allowed. The suits must be equally porous in all parts, both from the outside in and from the inside out. Minimum air permeability is established as follows: The unstretched fabric must show a medium air permeability of a minimum of 30 litres per m 2/sec under 10 mm of water pressure. For Giant Slalom and Super G suits' shoulder and arm sections, as well as knees and shins may be specially protected. For Slalom suits shoulder and arm sections as well as legs may be specially protected.

Maybe it was because Bode's GS suit included built in protection rather than any difference in air porosity, which does not seem to differ from DH to other disciplines.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, thanks for that. Presumably, having the extra protection is deemed to give some kind advantage in the DH. Any idea what that might be?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sometimes it seems that rules are rigidly enforced even if there's no obvious advantage to be gained from contravening them. I suppose in a sport where podium places are often decided by hundreths of seconds, this rigid enforcement of the rules is to be expected.

As for whether suit protection provides an advantage in DH, I suppose that a padded shoulder might allow you to take a tighter line by clipping an (unsprung) DH gate when other competitors avoid wacking the poles.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, that makes sense to me, but I'll ask the experts tomorrow. I reckon that clipping a DH gate at 80 mph, with or without padding, is going to hurt!

Going up early tomorrow - Hannah and the other kids are supposed to be doing the course inspection with their hero Bode (none of them are interested in the Herminator!) I've been ordered to stand and wait for an hour or so to make sure I get a photo rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucky them what a fantastic day you all should have I envy you -best of luck enjoy : Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy