Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The evolution of edging

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum,
I still use both snowplow and stem christie..... I agree with Fastman on this... you do not unlearn skills... all skills make you more versatile.... which is the aim of good instruction.... You do unlearn poor habits and develop better skills... eg one day I was "playing" at imitating other skiers styles... but I found it almost impossible to be poorly balanced fore/aft/laterally while imitating their turn initiations and arm movements

That is why a high level instructor looks so much smoother doing a snowplow than a low level instructor who looks so much better than a beginner skier
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly wrote:

I'd be interested to hear more about your development and if you could steel yourself to sharing those videos it'd be most encouraging, as at the moment it seems an impossibility for me to achieve even a halfway decent relaxed and effective style of getting down a slope! How long have you been skiing? How did you learn to flex your ankles? I am having real difficulties with that one despite trying to do calf stretches as often as possible and keeping on trying to increase the flex.

Butterfly

I've been skiing 10 years

Started at 37years of age

Ankle flex - well... many many things (including minor off-piste excursions each ski day with instructor to try to force balancing movements to develop).... One of the Idea moments involved an instructor who questioned how I controlled fore/aft balance (ie stood up straightish) and then used that idea by skiing 2 turns - walking back up slope to me - and the 2 of us walking around those turns with him pushing on my arm to indicate the amount of boot cuff pressure he had used at each spot in the turn... I then attempted to replicate the boot cuff pressure in single turn and then linked turns.... Repeat a few hundred times...

Also much rollerblading lessons, (want to go over a train line? crack in concrete? etc... lift toes=dorsiflex which is (sort of) what you are doing)...

and many balance beam drills in summer .... much achilles stretching(not calves)... bike riding...

I'd say it took me all up 2-3 years or so .... my main instructor may have a better recollection
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FastMan wrote:

During the season, prior to filming, we had been working on a lot of rotary/steering and balance skills... Her carving skills were pretty good, but her steering/rotary skills had some holes.

Fastman great to see you here again and looking forward to viewing the fruits of your labour on the new website.

Although it may be specific to LT it is interesting to hear that you spent a lot of time working on balance and rotary skills. In my quest to improve and "carve" better my coaching has gone down a similar path with each trainer working on twisting and balance drills. I am starting to see the light that you really need to be able to control the skis with all three steering elements and have started focusing on improving rotary movements with the few higher level skiers i teach as a way to improve. They generally dont get why we are doing slow speed rotary drills when all they want is to "learn how to carve"...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Little Tiger has spent at least 5 weeks in the last 18 months learning to skid in one form or another. Previously it made her feel really unsafe, and I'm sure she still doesn't like it much! I hope that most snowheads will see this thread for what it is, and those struggling with learning to ski better will be encouraged. Little Tiger does have physical problems and has learnt in spite of them. Everyone can learn if they want to enough. Very Happy

Butterfly Don't worry - seen the vid, we'll sort it next month.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Very Happy I can't wait to get there!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,
Quote:

Everyone can learn if they want to enough

Takes a lot of time and a lot of money for those who don't live near the snow, though. little tiger is lucky to have a profession which 'travels' and is fairly well-paid, and she also had the dedication to go and live for months in a country which she hates (by her own admission) in order, presumably, to pay the least amount of tax on sufficient income to finance her skiing. That's quite a high price to pay but, hey, the equation obviously stacks up for her. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Nothing comes for free. If you want to be very good at something you have to "pay the price", and not only in pounds and pence.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
.......Little Tiger does have physical problems and has learnt in spite of them........

Bit harsh describing being Australian as a physical problem wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Butterfly Don't worry - seen the vid, we'll sort it next month.

Butterfly, Oooo....I'm sooo jealous, I would have loved to be a companion, but I can't finance or spend the time for another trip abroad this soon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum Ditto, my next easiski fix will be December. Hang in there. Just a tip, sure it's in the wrong place, but here goes. Try your sking to music, it chills you out,(not dangerous, we all safely drive with it) better still, sing along to it, you can not sing and hold your breath. Breathing very important for ski, for most things really.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy wrote:
Hurtle, Nothing comes for free. If you want to be very good at something you have to "pay the price", and not only in pounds and pence.
Very insightful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, I skid much happier these days...

You will be happy to know that the shots where I am wearing a blue jacket I am skiing across 2-4inch balls of icey stuff that have resulted from the day before's mush refreezing. If you watch the original footage in good quality you can watch the ski tips bounce around as they hit them....(and hear the yelp in one spot if that helps Butterfly and Megamum any)

Hurtle, not the tax... but proximity to bigger hills than I could ski at home.... when your highest peak is just over 2000metres vertical is limited... I needed to ski bigger stuff for my next progression in my skiing.... also different conditions to slop and refrozen slop, and grass and mud! I already skied grass well - needed more versatility though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very nice, clear demos.

Thanks

Can someone add "reduced edge set" to the glossary thread please.

I'd also be keen to see the carving with pole plants to compare and contrast with the penultimate drill even if it were slightly forced to demonstrate timing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, FastMan, well done! Good demos and clear descriptions. Very much looking forward to the full dvd.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, My demos are poor compared to Fastman.... and the equipment used for the DVD series was much better than the compact hand held machine used for that video... Also Youtube really does mean much decreased quality of video.... The DVD's really should be very nice to watch - I'm looking forward to them too Very Happy
ski holidays
little tiger, great effort!
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
FastMan wrote:

During the season, prior to filming, we had been working on a lot of rotary/steering and balance skills... Her carving skills were pretty good, but her steering/rotary skills had some holes.

Fastman great to see you here again and looking forward to viewing the fruits of your labour on the new website.

Although it may be specific to LT it is interesting to hear that you spent a lot of time working on balance and rotary skills. In my quest to improve and "carve" better my coaching has gone down a similar path with each trainer working on twisting and balance drills. I am starting to see the light that you really need to be able to control the skis with all three steering elements and have started focusing on improving rotary movements with the few higher level skiers i teach as a way to improve. They generally dont get why we are doing slow speed rotary drills when all they want is to "learn how to carve"...

Hi, skimottaret, thanks for the welcome back. Keep doing what you're doing, you're on the right road. The foundation skill base represents the needed ingredients for upper level skiing. That I worked on these things with LittleTiger is not unique to her situation. What was unique were the methods by which she needed to learn them. Everyone, if they want to realize their personal potentials in this sport, NEED to work on all the base rotary and balance skills. Deficits in these areas act as roadblocks to improved skiing.

Do expect head scratching protest from your students who "just want to learn to carve", without doing the required foundation work needed to make their carving versatile and high quality. It's much like the racers I worked for years with who wondered why I was teaching them to ski when all they wanted to do was run gates. But here's the response, and it requires no words: Keep working hard on refining the quality of your own skills. The more your students struggling attempts to perform requested tasks contrast with your own effortless demos of the same task, the more they will become acutely aware of the reality of the shortcoming in their skill base, and the need for improvement. And the side benefit to this strategy is that your personal overall skiing will improve in leaps and bounds.

Here's a suggestion to all the readers here: refine your steering skills along the manner Little Tiger did in this video, then build a broad balance skill base upon a refined steering platform. It will improve your skiing immensely,,, and from there quality carving is but a minor step forward, a no brainer, a piece of cake, like falling off a log.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
little tiger, FastMan, well done! Good demos and clear descriptions. Very much looking forward to the full dvd.

Thanks,,, I'll keep you posted. The plan is to have them ready before the snow flies. I have about 1000 individual drill/demo clips to edit, freeze, slo mo, narrate, compose and compile. Yikes, what a monstrous project. Between the full and laborious winter it took me to shoot the raw footage, and the build time, I'm learning why no one has done it before. But it's a product that needs to be made. People need access to this type of comprehensive and economical training option, and it's currently not available to them. That's about to change.
ski holidays
FastMan wrote:
That's about to change.

Excellent!
ski holidays
FastMan, when can we order copies? snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

your own effortless demos of the same task

FastMan, you havent seen me ski, "effortless" is not a word that springs to mind Shocked wink ... The kids generally run rings around me and on a recent coaching course during a mock session i took a big crash demoing a hard one footed drill in front of the examiner. Laughing

as the others put me down for a copy of the DVD!!
ski holidays
FastMan, so right. there's no point in trying to do more advanced stuff while the basics are wrong! It's up to us to persuade peeps of this principle.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
I am starting to see the light that you really need to be able to control the skis with all three steering elements and have started focusing on improving rotary movements with the few higher level skiers i teach as a way to improve.

We had a good example of this last night. I got confused with vertical drop measurements when setting a training course and made the top (steeper) half of it far too tight. A bit of fettling it made it skiable but not carvable. This though did end up being good practice for "drift'n'lock" turns - effectively a retraction to unweight the skis for the rotation (so avoiding scrubbing off speed) then an edge engagement and strong forward extension to get acceleration coming out of the gate - and getting close to doing that right rather than pressured short turns made a huge difference in the speed down the course. I then reset to give my partner practice at some right-angle turns (as the slope geography for his race on Sunday means he'll need do at least one of those). First run down he made a sort of scared stem around the sharp left (or being kinder "a not-particularly effective skate" Wink ). Second run down he got a reasonable drift'n'lock and I would be surprised if he wasn't over half a second quicker (in about 10) - just from sorting that one turn.

While getting him to do this though it did cross my mind that, having started beating him regularly from the middle of last year, this is making it a much tougher job to keep that position Sad .

FastMan, I hope you do a big enough production run on this 'ere DVD - remember there are over 11000 registered snowHead members here Wink (although it seems only about 20 make it into BzK Sad Laughing )
ski holidays
Quote:

as the others put me down for a copy of the DVD

And me!
ski holidays
easiski,
Quote:

there's no point in trying to do more advanced stuff while the basics are wrong

I didn't realise, until reading this thread, that carving was considered advanced, or to be learned at the later end of the acquisition of a set of skills. It's been quite a revelation. Shocked
snow report
And me!
snow conditions
Hurtle, "I want to have it now" syndrome much like someone new to whisky walking in and asking for "the best" single malt.
latest report
comprex wrote:
Hurtle, "I want to have it now" syndrome much like someone new to whisky walking in and asking for "the best" single malt.

an' coke.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, Cool Very Happy wink
snow report
easiski wrote:
FastMan, so right. there's no point in trying to do more advanced stuff while the basics are wrong! It's up to us to persuade peeps of this principle.

And it's extra hard when some in our profession are not contributing to that effort, but are actually doing the opposite by teaching dead end short cuts (such as you saw in living color in Wengen this year Mad ) Hopefully this project will help our cause.

Expanding the foundation skill base has paid big dividends in Little Tigers skiing. And it will continue to. Well done with the major focus you put on edge control skills when you were working with her this past year. I did the same, and the improvement is very clear to see, and very impressive. As you know,,, the same foundation building formula will work for everyone. I think Little Tiger's proprioception deficit, and how well she has developed her skiing in spite of it, makes the legitimacy of that assertion pretty apparent.

THANKS EVERYONE, for your encouragement and moral support in this project of mine. I'll keep chewing on this elephant one bite at a time, and keep you posted when it's ready.
snow conditions
FastMan, keep that head down, skis sliding and cameras rolling - obviously lots of us here can't wait to get our hands on the finished product and I've been telling all the people I ski with about it too! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy