Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne valley?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

How busy are the resorts of the maurienne valley compared to tarentaise valley during feb half term?
Is the snow record good?

Any particular recommendations for resorts? I tend to prefer smaller resorts don't mind if there is not huge amounts of terrian to ski. We have enjoyed puy saint vincent and sainte foy very much so something along those lines would be perfect.
We are a group of 4 adults 1 5year old and 1 16 year old, don't really need night life and would prefer self catering apartment, that is ski in ski out or not much walking!

Any suggestions welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs SA & I skied the Maurienne Valley at New Year.

We had a car & based ourselves in St Jean de Maurienne so can't comment on resort accommodation. However, the skiing was fantastic and - compared to the swarming pistes we experienced at Tignes in February - was pleasantly uncrowded.

We really enjoyed all the areas we visited - as follows:

St Francois Longchamp: Compact little village - all seems handy for the slopes. Quite varied, fairly big ski area, linked to Valmorel.
Valmeinier: Ditto re village and big area. Linked to Valloire, which is a bigger, older village which looked fairly rustic in parts.
Val Frejus: Quite a small area & village but worth a visit. Village all looks very handy for the slopes.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fizz, I spent Easter weekend in Le Corbier this season. Both the resort and area are a fair bit bigger than Puy Saint Vincent, but I thought that they had a similar feel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fizz, I agree with mountainaddict the resorts of the Maurienne are much overlooked and as you don't mind smaller areas it's well worth a visit. Much quieter and more importantly much cheaper than the Tarentaise stations.

As well as the stations suggested you should also look at the linked areas around St Sorlin (Toussuire/Corbiere etc) and check out Val Cenis - it's right at the top end of the valley and various local ski areas can be easily reached by bus so there's quite a lot of terrain up at that end to be explored.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to St Sorlin D'Arves for half term week in 2006 and 2007. It's busy but not too bad really. Trip report here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know only the Haute Maurienne (ie above Modane) but you have the option to ski a different resort each day if you have transport (or a guide) and most can also be accessed by local bus I think.
They are very cheap (both skiing and hotels etc) by the standards of the big resorts (perhaps half). They are also quite empty by big resort standards, especially the off piste. I mentioned in other threads that I did one holiday there where (except near to lifts) we never saw other tracks except once when we came accross half a dozen tracks crossing ours. We asked the guide if he was taking us back to the crowds and he said no, they were our tracks from 3 days before! You will mostly find French families in the Maurienne, and few English.
We have been there 3 times and were based in Val Cenis which is a very nice little resort (stay in Lanslevillard, not the larger and less central Lanslebourg). It is not at the top of the valley - that is Bonneval (actually Bonneval sur Arc) which you can ski to from the back of the Le Fornet arera of Val d'Isere (but need a helicopter ride back unless you are prepared for a long skin).
Val Frjus is the furthest we went to (it is off a little way above Modane) and is also a nice area with plenty of off piste, and the only one we went to, other than Val Cenis, large enough to sustain more than a day or two of skiing. Not sure about hotel prices there but it is a purpose built resort, unlike the others which have a French village feel.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 7-05-08 12:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many Thanks for all the replies, I have bookedto go to sainte foy tarentaise again as its really lovely, but would still like to consider a second holiday in maurienne valley.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just added a few bits to my last post, fizz.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy