Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another which skis question .....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im determined to buy my first set of skis soon as it seems like now is the time of year when I may be able to grab a bargain.

Just to set the scene:
Im a big boned skier (19.5 stone although this is coming down very slowly) and six foot tall who is an intermediate and just getting into carving. Predominately on the groomed stuff but would like a little off piste capability for when I fancy my chances. I only get away to the mountains for a week or two a year although I would hope that this can increase in the future. I have spent some time at the Tamworth Snowdome and again, plan to increase my use of the place as well. I have aspirations to progress my skiing, regain my youthful fitness (and figure) and possibly have a stab at BASI 1 later in the year.
Only other constraint is the cost. As my family of 5 have now decided that skiing is a primary family activity (the holidays, gear and snowdome is costing an arm and a leg) so good value for money is a must.

I appreciate that I need to try out potential purchases first hand but I would really like to have a target list in order to narrow down the bewildering array of options I have come across. I place my trust in your collective wisdom. Over to you........ any recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cobra.., I can't help you with this, but best of luck with your ambitions snowHead maybe we will have a testing session in summer like we did last year...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A good pair of second hand would be vfm if money is tight. Salomon xscream series for a do it all, was top of range ski. Plenty on ebay, just avoid base damage, edge delam and look for the y shaped (front of binding) and v shaped (back of binding) prolinks, Pilot system even better. Good quality all mountain ski, say in 174cm. Under a ton and you would have excellent ski's, perhaps have a binding re-mount but mine are 6 years old now and still as fresh as I took em out of S&R at £549 and they ski out of this world, and I'm well built so thats good.

I always bought new ski's, spent a lot. My latest cost me £190 inc new bindings of ebay. I wanted to try a Slalom ski, similar price as above, without similar expense. Luckily landed on a good set of ski's.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should probably just add that my budget would be around £250 to £300, something of that order.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends.. New, 300 would get some half decent kit, but depends on your ability, plus as i found, weight can be a factor to buy the next skill level. demo testing would be good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy