Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a board please . . .

Poster: A snowHead
for my daughter who is a strong rider, can tackle most of the mountain and ventures into the park occasionally. I have read up on lots of boards and bought both my son's theirs last year. But it's nice to get personal feedback from other riders.

She currently rides a Nitro Fate, which has had rave reviews and has done her proud, but she now needs something more advanced. It doesn't have to be a girls board, although she would rather have girlie graphics and preferrably white/ish.

Must be an All Mountain board 154 ish, and a last season bargain if pos - thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have heard very good things about a Rome but they do seem quite slow when compared to ski's Toofy Grin wink Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, High Society Scarlett is supossed to be good, I ride one of their boards but I don't really know about girls boards. Speak to kiwi1 about it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it could be time for a burton custom methinks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ride Society. I can point you in the direction of one if you PM me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a Burton G Twin and love it. Use it mostly for hooning around the mountain, bit of park stuff, not bad in pow and has awesome graphics.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All of the above are good makes - but personally I love my Rome
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flow wrote:
Looks like it could be time for a burton custom methinks.

Not all problems in life can be solved with a Burton Custom, y'know rolling eyes

IncogSkiSno - obviously I haven't ridden any of these as I'm probably twice the size of the intended audience (see my sig for my primary ride). Based on a bit of reading and conversations with people, the following suggest themselves:
  • Gnu bNice 153 - hand-made board; fantastic construction. Has Magnetraction sidecut for incredible edge hold on ice and groomed piste compared to a standard 2-contact sidecut (this is what the marketing hype says, but it's actually true in my experience)
  • Head Pearl 152/157 - I rode a smallish (154!) Head board (not a girls one, though) for a week once and it was very responsive all over the mountain, yet surprisingly forgiving when I made the (for me) inevitable mistakes. The hologram graphics on this look very cool, but the tech spec should suit your daughter from what you said
  • Omatic Super 152 - According to the blurb, this is Tara Dakides' pro model. It's on at a good price (under £200) and looks like a really serious all-mountain charger. If Omatic is good enough for Todd Richards, it's probably good enough for just about anyone

Maybe a Burton Custom could make her very happy, but it's really important to remember that Burton are nothing special and there are many other fine manucturers out there (some with demonstrably higher-quality materials and ride).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-07-08 17:39; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I fully agree shallimus,im considering an APO board next but am open to suggestiions.Try and get to a demo if your in the alps incogskisno,there must be some this summer?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have the money and the skill (I hope to have both one day but currently am a bit lacking):
  • Apo Swallow - praised universally by pow riders everywhere (not an all-mountain board though, I only mention it cos it's so cool!)
  • Lib Tech - any/all - Hand-made boards, market-leading technology, stupid-but-endearing marketing techniques, Travis Rice rides nothing but Lib (if you've seen a better snowboarder it was on SSX Tricky) - it wouldn't be a board recommendation thread if I didn't plug Lib Tech, would it? Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shallimus, Lib-Tech don't do women's boards, which is bog all use if you ride light and have small feets.

I fancy the Ride Fever myself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
She currently rides a Nitro Fate, which has had rave reviews and has done her proud, but she now needs something more advanced.

piece of shoite that board and I ride nitro. Burton feelgood is the one. or the custom Very Happy

or salomon ivy Neutral
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for your imput all - I have done quite a bit of research into boards, and bought both my sons theirs; Rome Flag and Nitro Suprateam, which they are both happy with.

My daughter has small feet but she is not lightweight, so she could probably handle a guys board.

I have looked ito the Ride Society, Burton Custom and Ride Fever and wondered if they are more for the park ?

Burton Feelgood, I know I can get and is a strong possibility, prefer the colour and graphics on the Feelgood ICS though but can't find that anywhere. I am a bit limited as wanting a bargain from last season.

The Salomon Ivy is a nice looking board http://www.edgeriders.com/product_info.php?products_id=3107

Shallimus, http://gnu.com/snowboards/bNice.html

aren't some of these sites dire - are they really trying to sell us these boards ? . . jeez talk about busy spoo

DebbiDoesSnow, which Rome ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IcogSkiSno, you have a point. However, I wasn't recommending it for a web-design award or nothin' Razz Gnu do make excellent boards though (and have done for a quarter of a century).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno wrote:

Burton Feelgood, I know I can get and is a strong possibility, prefer the colour and graphics on the Feelgood ICS though but can't find that anywhere.

I had so much hassle trying to get the 158 for my missus last winter, burton europe were sold out, same with the dominant Sad
dont forget the ICS will tie you to ICS bindings or adaptor plates needed.
snow report
IncogSkiSno wrote:

The Salomon Ivy is a nice looking board http://www.edgeriders.com/product_info.php?products_id=3107

that's next years, good price too.
snow report
Shallimus, I know you weren't Madeye-Smiley and Gnu aren't the only guilty ones. The Ride site looks good, but the board info is scant, all I want to know is what level of rider and what type of board it is rolling eyes

stab, Ooh just as well I couldn't find one then Embarassed

So the Ivy is a top notch board then ? . . I have to admit wouldn't have thought of Salomon. I thought that was a very good price too, and I could be very tempted with that one.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, its the Rome Blue, top of the range all mountain. I recommended it to Mouth and she loves hers too. Mine was really girlie but the one that Mouth bought was more toned down
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, Ahh thanks I have been looking at those, but struggling to find a 155, although 158 might fit the bill.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, mine is only a 147 Embarassed but then I am a midget !!
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, http://www.hot-zone.tv/store/blue-155-p-17286.html

Hot-Zone.TV has one in a 155 but its not cheap at 328 euros

Not sure how much you want to pay, but I can vouch for the company, I bought a helmet from them and it was delivered within 2 days
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, ah thanks - I would like to pay as little as possible but that is what I would be paying for the Feelgood, I can get the 158 from the states for about $400 inc shipping but not done that before. Confused

Not sure which to get yet: 2009 Ivy (nice looking), 2008 Feelgood (wrong colour_), 2008 Blue (ok colour) decisions, decisions . . .

oh and there is this: http://www.christchurch-skicentre.com/proddetails.asp?idprod=1550
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I like the look of the Ride Society and it does have good write ups .... ooooo choices !
Your a very nice mummy Little Angel

All this talk of boards and the next season holiday special offers I am getting on email .....I WANT A NEW BOARD & TO HIT THE SNOW NOW Razz
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, graduation pressie Little Angel

DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
IncogSkiSno, ....I WANT A NEW BOARD

but you've just been singing its praises ! Shocked Confused

This site is really useful for comparing boards and skis:

http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/snowboard/2009/salomon/
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I am a sucker for new shiny pretty things Razz
But, yes, I am very happy with my board and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon !
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
IncogSkiSno, I am a sucker for new shiny pretty things Razz

Laughing wink and so is daughter, I know which board she would choose for colour and graphics . . . the Ivy . . . but is it the best board, or at least as good as ??? Confused Confused Confused
latest report
Unfortunately I gave away my 08 Board review magazines, so I can't remember what all the women's top boards were (mine was still in there wink ), but I have a comparison site book marked at home, I will dig it out later
snow report
I still have Whitelines' 07/08 product comparison guide, but the more I learn about various boards, the less I trust those mini-reviews...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow, that would be good, thanks ! BTW I am appauled at the amount of info there is on womens boards compared to the guys rolling eyes

Shallimus, yup, you have to take in all the info from varying sources - which isn't easy as there is much for the girls Confused
snow report
IncogSkiSno, you put in the details M/F, height, shoe size, ability etc... and it comes back with boards that are relevant for your selection. this site lists the Salomon as freestyle not all mountain, but who bloody knows !

Board Finder

Also the Powder Room is a girls snowboarding site which has some 'real' girls reports about their boards

" bought a salomon Ivy at the begining of the season, totally awesome board, thoroughly recomended.

but the best deal and the best buy by far was my latest purchase. I bought on ebay a brand new O'sin swallow tail. 168."

Turns out its our very own SnowAngel !!! maybe you should PM her and ask her about the Ivy
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, cheers, will do Very Happy

boredsurfin wrote:
I have heard very good things about a Rome but they do seem quite slow when compared to ski's Toofy Grin wink Laughing

Laughing Laughing only just got this . . .

nice try . . . but I don't believe it for one second rolling eyes
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, in his dreams Laughing i have boarded with Mouth on our Romes and she don't hang about !!
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, yup, I am sure that Mouth on her Rome, can outrun boredsurfin on his SweatDaddies anyday Toofy Grin
snow report
IncogSkiSno, he is no contest... now his girls....they are another matter!

DebbiDoesSnow, yep we love our Romes and fun to cruise together!
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
So the Ivy is a top notch board then ? . . I have to admit wouldn't have thought of Salomon. I thought that was a very good price too, and I could be very tempted with that one.

It's not bad, most girls in the winter looking to buy a board would get the fate to test, then when they came back saying it was crap they would get the ivy, providing they weren't exposed as being beginners by the fate (if they couldn't ride the fate then god help us all). If the ivy was deemed crap then it would be the custom.
At the start of the winter I thought the ivy was a soft beginner lady board but it has some marketing hype torsion X thing, supposed to stiffen up when pushed. I think jenny jones is rocking the ivy and she's not at all bad, actually that's a typo, she is better than I could ever hope to be.

salomon ivy with the new relays, set up and a half there.
latest report
stab, ooh just googled those Cool are they're the toe cap type as I can't tell from the pic? Very Happy
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
stab, ooh just googled those Cool are they're the toe cap type as I can't tell from the pic? Very Happy

they can be used as either toe cap or normal. Had a play about with them last winter on some boards. I really liked them except I felt a bit high off the board, like the base plate could be thinner or something. In all honesty they are probably the same height as my customs, I'm just fussy.
snow conditions
These ones I was playing with, relay pro

There's a cable in the high backs that comes down and anchors by the toe strap so any movement in the heel is instantly transfered to making the toe edge come up, the actual high backs themselves and the heel cup are quite soft and flexy but this cable means you get all the jib flex with the response. haha I sound like a dealer brochure.
ski holidays
stab, are you on commision for these and the custom wink
snow report
you think I'm trusted to sell things to paying customers? Laughing I did have a crack at selling some carbon ski sticks once but my sales pitch wasn't that good, basically "it's a stick mate, dunno what else to tell you"

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy