Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why de-tune the nose and tail of the board?

Poster: A snowHead
I've heard talk of de-tuning the nose and tail of new board but I don't understand why you would do this.
Could someone please enlighten me?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ronaldothefrog, it stops it catching when initiating turns, I've never bothered although I don't sharpen them so by now it's probably the same as if I'd detuned. If you're looking at on piste carving it can be worth sharpening them to a higher side edge angle instead. This lets the edge feed in to a turn. Otherwise it's not worth bothering IMO. If you want to stay in the park then some people completely detune the whole board, makes it an back bottom getting past icy sections though Razz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why tune a snowboard at all? None of you ever actually use the edges...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, I beg to differ and I can get down that blue quicker on a board than skis . . . you can try to catch me again next eosb rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Next year I'll be riding something VERY different and deeply weird Cool Cool Cool (y'all have to wait Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, Hurtle? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar, cruel and untrue . . . I need something with sharper edges and a bit more flexibility wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, if she reads this, I'll bet you'll see her
Quote:
sharper edges
Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
skisimon, I beg to differ and I can get down that blue quicker on a board than skis . . . you can try to catch me again next eosb rolling eyes

Masque, only because skisimon does too many turns!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
detuning is imo the only way to ride a board. I take all my new boards straight from the shelf and round the edge off the whole thing, a bit I leave/don,t detune so much from the middle to before the nose/tail just to help a touch on ice but the nose and tail are rounded off on my boards. But then I board like a lazy stoner so don,t listen to me.
Without detuning you,ll do all that carving and turning stuff people seem to do. My OH used to ride an 87 edge detuned slightly and she loved it but I'm slowly turning her into a jib monkey and didnt do her new board like it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can de-tune if you want to but it is not necessary and not recommended for most snowboarders. It is one of those great big myths! Manufacturers put nice sharp edges on a board for good reason - to bite into hard packed snow and ice. This bite gives you greater board speed and directional stability. Leave your edges alone if you are into freeride. The board carves or cuts into the snow, rather than just slipping across it. Mind you, some people want to slip eg if you are learning new freestyle tricks and your landings are a bit dodgy, detuned edges will make the board more forgiving. Beginners may prefer detuned edges too but most hire boards are so knackered the edges should be pretty much non-existant anyway! If your edges are de-tuned, be careful!!! It will not help your riding technique. The edges are there for a reason and if you learn to ride on a detuned board you may struggle, through having learned bad technique, when you get on a board with proper edges. I is a bit like learning to drive an automatic car and then trying to drive a stick shift. Better start off with a stick shift and leave your edges alone!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tune the nose and tail...? Ideally, you shouldn't have steel edges on the nose and tail of a snowboard (meaning the bit much past the end of the contact length). Many mass-market boards will have steel edges all the way around as it allows the manufacturer to feed the board into an automatic finishing machine without chewing up the end of the board; why not check your board to see if you have this 'feature'? wink Better quality boards are finished by hand, and so don't require steel edges on the nose and tail. This is better for several reasons, including:
  • reduced weight/moment of inertia
  • safer (which would you rather have run into your leg?)
  • much easier to repair in the event of a split/delam

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 5-12-08 21:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shallimus wrote:
This is better for several reasons, including:
  • reduced weight/moment of inertia
  • safer (which would you rather have run into your leg?)
  • less likely to split/delam

The Nitro boards I had/have (MFM, misfit) have a layer taken out at the nose and tail for the same reason, ie the swing weight. I think burton do it on a few boards next year but in their brochure for 2008/9 they claim it's a world 1st Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab wrote:
they claim it's a world 1st

Grrrrrrrrrr! Mad
snow report
Shallimus is about right................................

There is no "right" way to tune a board, different types of riding require different ways of tuning. For all round riding detuning the nose and tail is a bonus. I always detune, though after the last base grind I kinda forgot, but out on the snow it was immediately obvious I had.............

Detuning the nose and tail to me is an obvious thing to do, if you work out how a board "works", and what you're aiming for. As most boards have a "lollipop stick" shape, anything much past the widest point of the board, nose and tail, edgewise, is along along for the ride, not being part of the effective edge.

So find the widest part of the board, go an inch or two nearer to the tail/nose and chamfer, 45degs. Be conservative (ie start nearer the ends than the middle) as it's always easier to file it off than put it back on, and try it out. What your looking for is a board that becomes less nervous (ie less "edgy".....), and slowly pull back the chamfer until taking a little more off has no effect. At this point you've possibly gone too far, but how do you find that point in the first place? And the board will feel more like a mate, and less of a possessed spirit trying to get you a free ride down the moutain in the meat wagon.

Especially in the average pisted resort, where most of us spend our time, dreaming of powder.....................

No two boards/styles/terrain are the same, so it's not an exact science. The effective edge for most is best left at 90degs. Leave all the "latest-trick-edge-gotta-have" to the people on the telly, who probably even have a "tarmac" tune............

Ride easy, and for all those heroes without a helmet, get one. Oh, and feel free to disagree, you know you want to.

John
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy