Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

canadian ski in ski out resort

Poster: A snowHead
looking for something not too expensive, ski in ski out and with decent apres ski

any recommendations?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Panorama is ski in ski out, with some good skiing, but no apres worth the name.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unpossible to get all 3 I'm afraid. Which is least important to you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fernie has ski in ski out, not especially expensive but no apres to speak of unless you go into town
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok - any suggestions in alternative countries? usa?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nick0861, Breckenridge Very Happy ski in ski out , good apres and not too expensive if the $/£ holds up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nick0861, Maybe a definition of ski in ski out? Would a ten minute walk to a lift in the mornig and back to the hotel suffice? If so whistler
or for somthing slightly European Mont-Sainte-Anne in Qubec?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big White BC is all true ski-in-ski out. The village is literally on the slopes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ordhan, apres in Mont-Sainte-Anne?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whistler would tick the apres and ski in/out boxes but far from inexpensive, Big White/ Fernie/ Red/Kicking Horse etc low on the apres scale. Banff nowhere near ski in/out.

Remember in N America as a general rule you can have ski in/out but its either expensive or dead as a post at night. Most people even in resort drive to the slopes.

Why anyone would travel from Europe to ski the East is beyond me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, Not fantastic in comparison to Europe but not the worst in North America!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ordhan, I was staying in Quebec City when I skied MSA & Stoneham so I guess I didn't really see what it had to offer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nick0861, mont tremblant is ski in ski out and has a pretty good apres scene especially in late season , and you can get some cheap deals out of school holidays
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, except the snow quantity and quality is really questionable in Quebec.

Park City?

It's not too terribly expensive (relatively speaking), has apres. And (I think) ski-in, ski-oiut?

Heavenly in Tahoe is not exactly ski-inb/ski-out. But the shuttle bus runs efficiently enough you can get on and off the slope without needing a car. On the other hand, you need a car to get to it (village of South Lake Tahoe) in the first place!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Unpossible to get all 3 I'm afraid. Which is least important to you?

er ... Whistler would seem to fit all 3 as long as you don't go in high season?
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Neilski, except the snow quantity and quality is really questionable in Quebec.
Park City?

It's not too terribly expensive (relatively speaking), has apres. And (I think) ski-in, ski-oiut?

You can get ski-in/out at Park City. Don't think its cheap tho. Canyons is same.

Steamboat and Jackson Hole would also be worth looking at in the Rockies, and Vail/Aspen, but more expensive I assume.

I'd get over the ski-in/out bit - nothing wrong with a short bus ride in the morning and after a few apres beers at the base. Some of teh best apres in north american ski hills is in the nearby base towns.
ski holidays
nick0861, go West coast for the vert/snow depending on what level you are you may regret ending up on the icey death pistes of the East.
ski holidays
"Why anyone would travel from Europe to ski the East is beyond me." - me too. Unless you really need to practise icy bumps.

Park City need not be outrageously expensive - and there are some truly awesome restaurants. But if you're in Park City you really want to be driving round to Solitude/Snowbird/etc

What's the big deal with ski in ski out anyway? I'm more interested in powder, vertical and gradient myself...

Twisted Evil
snow report
Sunshine Inn.

First tracks

40 person hot tub
latest report
I'm sure we could squeeze a few more than that in! snowHead

Fairmont Chateau Whistler... unfortunately it only really meets two of your requirements (although you can get decent prices prior to Christmas).
latest report
johnboy, 0 nightlife Toofy Grin
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
"Why anyone would travel from Europe to ski the East is beyond me." - me too. Unless you really need to practise icy bumps.

Park City need not be outrageously expensive - and there are some truly awesome restaurants. But if you're in Park City you really want to be driving round to Solitude/Snowbird/etc

What's the big deal with ski in ski out anyway? I'm more interested in powder, vertical and gradient myself...

Twisted Evil

I agree, except vertical is over-rated IMHO. Take Whistler for example, big vertical but you mostly ski just the top half.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:

I agree, except vertical is over-rated IMHO. Take Whistler for example, big vertical but you mostly ski just the top half.

I happily skied over a 1000m vertical on Blackcomb today. That's a decent amount by anyone's standards, and not too bad for early may Madeye-Smiley

Mid-winter quality snow in Glacier bowl.

Blackcomb has lots of condos taht are within a 100m or so of trail down to Wizard chair. Staying in these is not expensive.
snow report
Quote:

You can get ski-in/out at Park City. Don't think its cheap tho. Canyons is same.

Ski-in/out and cheap don't go together. Not at all.

But in all the resorts with ski-in/ski-out lodging, Park City is probably the cheaper of the lot.

Quote:

But if you're in Park City you really want to be driving round to Solitude/Snowbird/etc

What's the big deal with ski in ski out anyway?

Only if you have more than a week there.

I don't understand this attitude of "must go round to all neighboring resorts". It's much better to get to know a couple of resorts well than to ski one day at each and only scratch the surface.

Personally, I couldn't care less about ski-in/ski-out. But I understand for others with families and children, that makes a big difference if part of the "gang" want to quit early and spend the afternoon in the hot tub instead of the base lodge waiting for the hard core father/son to finish last lift.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

I don't understand this attitude of "must go round to all neighboring resorts". It's much better to get to know a couple of resorts well than to ski one day at each and only scratch the surface.

I think both tactics have their place. When you're new to the world of sliding down hills, the former is great fun to experience new places, slopes, apres. But I found as I got better and more experienced (and have the luxury of having skimmed many places), I like learning about a place in depth, the hidden lines, secret stashes, etc.

But I still like a good road trip. Just now I now what i'm looking for ...
latest report
uktrailmonster, ah, I meant accumulated vertical, i.e. accumulated by me...

abc, well I wouldn't go exploring just for the heck of it - but the canyons are special in that you can get wildly varying conditions in different areas - so what's a 45 min drive if it means you get sunshine and fresh powder instead of cloud and no fresh.
latest report
David Murdoch, thanks for bringing up the Canyons' It's actually a good example of my point. I know Canyons pretty well now, after skiing it 5 days straight, with a couple of locals as guide.

It's very spread out, have slopes facing just about every direction. So, if you know how the snow behaves in a given temperature, you can chase the best snow condition all over the resort and have a great time. But if you're new to it, on day 1 or even 2, you might end up hitting the wrong slope at the wrong time and wind up with alternative of ice and slush the entire day! Not to mention spending half of the time traversing from one area to the other...

For those who know the area already, it's a benefit to have so many resort in close proximity so one could hit the best one for the condition of the day. But for those who're not yet familiar with the area, it's actually more distraction than benefits, in my opinion.
latest report
abc, ah but I meant taking locals advice (if this is what you mneant too I apologise in advance) and exploring the canyons rather than the Canyons. You can have wildly different weather & conditions in Alta than Solitude and knowing where/when to go makes all the difference...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

exploring the canyons rather than the Canyons.

Got it! Cheers.Smile

Seriously though, for those chasing powder, Alta/Snowbird/Solitude nearly always have more snow than Park City side of the resorts. So, no need to stay over at PC and risk not able to get to the mountain due to avilanche control. But unfortunately, it's the apres that's really seriously lacking on those resorts ...

In any case, road trip simply defeats the purpose of ski-in/ski-out lodging. Might as well stay somewhere cheap if you're going to drive most morning anyway.

On the other hand, it's my ovservation that, people who ask for ski-in/ski-out usually aren't the same people who would chase the snow all over the Wasatch...
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
uktrailmonster, ah, I meant accumulated vertical, i.e. accumulated by me...

Ah I see. Yes I agree and the best way to achieve this is with a high speed lift system and no crowds. The actual vertical drop of the mountain is much less important unless you want seriously long non-stop runs.
latest report
Peak to Creek at Whistler, now that's a thigh burner if you ski it non-stop! Skullie
latest report
skisimon wrote:
Peak to Creek at Whistler, now that's a thigh burner if you ski it non-stop! Skullie

I did that once when it was full of bumps. Can't say I was enjoying it!
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:

Take Whistler for example, big vertical but you mostly ski just the top half.

I don't.
latest report
nick0861 wrote:
looking for something not too expensive, ski in ski out and with decent apres ski

any recommendations?
Try Beaver Run Resort Breckenridge,you step out of locker room on to the slopes.
snow conditions
I enjoyed Silver Star for both good skiing and decent apres after, granted it's a small village but hey after our first stop in one bar they were pouring our beers as we walked back in the door without even asking, now that's friendly fast service. Putnam creek area will provide enough challenge for most any skier. Locals were friendly and quite happy to provide beta on skiing the Mtn.

On the other hand until we know if there is a La Nina or El Nino or any other winter weather patterns it's hard to say where in the western N. A. would be better.

We had an awesome La Nina winter here in the Pacific Northwest, but in El Nino winters we have limped along petexing the rocks with our skis.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
nick0861, Breckenridge Very Happy ski in ski out , good apres and not too expensive if the $/£ holds up
I agree we stayed at Beaver Run Resort,the ski locker room opens right onto slope above the lifts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy