Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts close to Zurich with easy transfers

Poster: A snowHead
just looking into next winter's trips and looks like I can get some well timed/priced flights to zurich from London city while I'm up there at Excel for the boat show in january

can anyone tell me which resorts are easiest to get to from zurich? train/coach or car? and how long are the transfers?

planning on a late fri or early sat am flight, back late sunday so want to minimise transfer times

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tick - subscribing to this thread as we can fly direct to zurich from manchester and have family in that area....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to j2ski.com. Click on the "Airports" section.

Go to St Moritz, Klosters or Lech. In that order.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold thanks for that but i am sometimes suspicious of j2ski's transfer times

nbt maybe see you in Zurich airport then!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with J2 ski, but none of the above resorts are either particularly close or cheap.

Flims is closer and has good skiing, Andermatt is nice but needs good coverage in Jan. Flumersberg and Hochy Brig ? spelling are recommended by others but I have never been as they are close by and relatively small they may get a little crowded at the weekend I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have only been to Engelberg when I have flown to Zurich. I have used both train and hire car to get there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar thanks

rjs how long is it to Engelberg by car? Is the train an option for a weekend trip? thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Zurich (not for a weekend) I've done Wengen/Grindelwald, Flims, Davos and Crans Montana. Can't remember any of the transfer times though Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laax/Flims resort lays on a transfer now from Zurich - it is only 3 times a week on Thurs, Sat & Sun and only once on those days. Or at least that's what they did this year. Could be suitable, could have to wait a while at the airport. The transfer was about 1.5 hours http://www.laax.com/flash/index.php?l=en#/de/resort_info/resort_info_laax_a_z . You can also do it by train & bus.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zurich to Wengen is about 3 hrs. Did it last year MSB. Plane landed 6:30, hit the slope before noon. That's including unpacking and a little refreshment at the hotel (I was there a week, not just Sat/Sun).

If you fly in Friday evening, you have a much better chance of hitting the slope at a decent time Sat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks all, i'll have a look at the resorts mentioned

abc fri eve arrival is favourite option for sure

i'll probably end up renting a car and can then be flexible and may even try a day at a couple of different resorts
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Engelberg & Andermatt seem to attract a lot of Zurichers at weekends so I assume people day trip. I guess the places around Chur & Davos etc aren't exactly a long haul either.

I've done cars for weekends but largely due to flight arrival times rather than inherent inaccessibility - everything is accessible by train/postbus in CH as I'm sure you're aware.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roger C, My Better Half 'weekended ' London City - Zurich a lot this year ( 'cos we were in Gstaad Super-ski) ... train is easiest as door-to-door is usually ( ioe) quicker .... so Engelberg, Davos, Klosters, maybe Laax (but bus for last bit) , Jungfrau, Gstaad, Lenk, St Moritz, Zermatt ( yes!) would all be on your radar ..

ps Air France invariably cheapest by far
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob thanks, i'll look into those, engleberg seems to be a popular suggestion

Agenterre, cheers, i was planning on using swiss but will now check out air france as well,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, trains run to engelberg pretty late but there is an irritating 45 minute wait at Lucerne. as a result i usually hire a car
snow report
Agenterre, just checked Air France for a trip in a couple of weeks and Swiss is marginally cheaper with more convenient flight times for me. Also have Swiss frequent flyer card (not that I am but one can but hope) but it's interesting to know you've found it cheaper so it will be worth a look for future trips

Roger C, nbt, let us know if you head for Laax or Hoch-Ybrig. HY needs a car, FYI, but that means it doesn't get crowded out with Zurcher without cars. It's pretty small, but fine for a day or so, and I gather there's lots of backcountry too
snow report
eng_ch, On average x1.5-3 as cheap but her/ my trips were usually done on Mondays / Fridays ... December - March admittedly ... During the winter schedule ( now summer), AF and Swiss flights always seemed to depart within 5-15 minutes of one another.
latest report
Agenterre, the out for me is an hour later on Swiss than AF and that's the difference between getting a lift into the city (good) and having to be on a train at sparrow's fart (bad).
ski holidays
Roger C,

Zurich to Engelberg...an easy peasy 90 mins by car, IMV.

Basle to Engelberg is about the same.

Not sure about Andermatt from Zurich by car but is over an hr up a pass from Engelberg because you have to come down the hill, virtually into Lucern and then out again.. plus it is a high pass through mountains.
Haven't done train from Zurich-Andermatt but have from Engelberg and it can be a hassle that way. However, it is a main line through to the south so they must have sorted Zurich-Andermatt direct.

The only thing about Andermatt is that it isn't a place you can get the best out of just by scoping it, IMV... you have to put some time in which you might not have for a weekend. Also, it is very rocky and needs good cover. The pistes aren't inspiring and you can say the same about Engelberg but at least you get more done in a weekend.

I'd be taking a look a Flims if only for the option of mileage if you get lumbered with those conditions.

Zurich/Basel to Engelberg by train, best part of 2 hrs and that is with a change/stop at Lucern. Not seen 45 mins tho' normally 20 mins, IIRC.
Zurich has a train station under the airport...Basel does not and is a good 20mins away by cab/bus. You can get a train direct from Zurich airport to Lucern but sometimes have to chnge at Zurich central
latest report
JT, main N-S trains go under Andermatt through the Gotthard tunnel. Car v much better option IMV and will get easier in 3-4 years when the new motorway towards Zug is finished. No need to touch Lucerne by car direct from Zurich airport - cut down the E side of Lake Lucerne on m'way, peel off at Göschenen and head up the mountain
snow report
I ski often in Flumserberg which is (I think) the nearest largish resort and although its busier at weekends it usually copes ok with the crowds. I've not skied many of the other places above other than Laax which is a pretty big ski area. If you decide on Flumserberg then stay in Tannenboden (this is where the main gondola arrives) as its all close to the lifts (walking distance). www.flumserberg.ch , eat at the Cafrida mmmm Smile
latest report
thanks Frosty, hpw long from the airport to Flumserberg?
snow conditions
eng_ch, thanks, might do that. said family is in the UK and coming for tea tomorow so we will discuss the possiblity of a reciprocal visit next winter Smile
ski holidays
Roger C, one hour fifteen minutes, in case you are not familiar with the airport the train station is undeneath the terminal building which cuts down time again. There is only one change at Zurich HB (the main station). The reason Flums is busier at weekends is the close proximity to Zurich. If you rent a car it takes about the same time in my experience, the train is the best option as you get out at the bottom of the cable car/gondola. Just check the gondola is still running if you are arriving later in the evening. There is a bus if neeccesary.
snow report
thanks for all the advice above but despite this next weekend we are going to Arosa for the weekend!

any advice there, best runs etc? i know it's further from Zurich but we got a good deal at a chalet that i've heard good things about, www.snowypockets.com

at the end of the month we are going to try engleberg Very Happy
snow report
really, come on how many trips can one person have?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy