Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine by ski train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI

I am looking to book for Flaine next yr. I know that i need to get the train from Paris too cluses and idealy want the sleeper train, does anyone know where i can book it. Do i have to change to get to cluses?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try RailEurope, they're pretty helpful, or you could try it independently on www.sncf.com. I don't think booking for next year will be possible for a few months yet. The sleeper train goes from Austerlitz, IIRC, and you shouldn't have to change, though you would if you chose to take a daytime train instead.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're planning to take this sleeper train later this month, getting off at Cluses to transfer to Morillon. The problem is that the train gets in on a Sunday morning, and all the car hire agencies are closed! Does anyone know if it's possible to hire a car locally on a Sunday? Alternatively, we can get a taxi to Morillon, but I can't see anywhere in Morillon or Samoens where I can hire a car on the Monday either. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
munsterman, how easy is it to get to Cluses via the sleepertrain? Where do you depart from, and any changes?

I'm afraid every time I've hired a car in that neck of the woods it's been from Geneva airport itself. I don't know of any car hire places in Morillon or Samoens - they are both quite small and part way up what is effectively a dead-end valley. However marcellus lives there and will have a better knowledge so may be worth a pm. I'm out again this Saturday and will let you know if I see any.

Whereabouts are you staying in Morillon? If you're anywhere near the telecabine will you actually need a car?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually staying in Haute Verchaix. It's possible to use the ski bus, but with a family and ski school schedules to meet, a car is pretty essential.

With the train, it leaves London the previous evening; change of stations in Paris and onto the sleeper which gets into Cluses about 8am.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski - happy, As a matter of interest, is going by train cheaper than flying and booking a shared transfer?

I only ask, as it's normally possible to get a flight into Geneva for around £100-rtn (including ski carriage), and then a shared transfer with someone like ski-lifts.com for around £70 return.

[edited for spelling]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah yes, a car is pretty necessary if staying over in Verchaix - that's where our place is. I photographed the bus timetable for reference last year (from the stop near the church) but there aren't that many. It also gives you the flexibility of driving to the other local resorts or of driving up to Flaine should the weather be bad and the interconnecting lifts closed (which seems to happen about one day per week if my recent experience is anything to go by!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think it is necessarily cheaper, abj. I think you'll probably always be able to find a cheaper flight somewhere but, for a family of six, it probably works out about the same as driving over, once you factor in overnight stops, ferries, tolls etc. Even using your numbers though, once you times them by six, you're getting close to the cost of a 6-berth cabin on the sleeper, depending on when you travel. It's something a bit different and a bit of an adventure for the kids.

Years ago, we used Belgian Motorail which meant driving over to Brussels, putting the car on the train, having a lovely meal in the dining car and then going to bed until the morning when the train pulled into a station called Saint Maurice near the eastern tip of Lake Geneva - from where it was a quick drive over to Morillon via Chatel. Unfortunately they don't do it any more.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munsterman, I can see the attraction of going by train ... I guess I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to the travel side of things and like to get there as quickly and directly as possible!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy