Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do when baggage handlers do this to your stuff?!

Poster: A snowHead
The 7 day rule can be nothing more than a disclaimer, and in legal terms a disclaimer is essentially not worth the paper it's written on (afaik - ianal). The rule is only there to make people think they are too late to lodge a claim. Your kit was damaged while in their custody. Doesn't matter whether it was 1 day or 8 days ago, it was damaged in their custody. I'd be back on to their customer services and insist on compensation, and if they still won't budge then drop an email to Watchdog etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy, thanks for that. That is food for thought. I've had a look at their website again and have found the bit asking customers to submit a claim to baggage for baggage damage within 7 days, but it doesn't say that claims will not be honoured if received after this time period. I will see what they say when they come back about my reply earlier this evening.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The OFT gives guidance on unfair conditions of contract. From the introduction
Quote:
Suppliers are expected to respect consumers' legitimate interests in drafting contracts, as well as negotiating and carrying them out.

Full guidance here. There's a lot of it; you could lose the will to live.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, thanks. I see what you mean! We will see what they say when they come back to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, just found this online from the AUC. http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=3316#claim

It says 7 days to report damage on there from receipt of the bags.

Looks like I will have to put it down to experience as per my first post this evening. rolling eyes and check my baggage before I put the stuff in the car and leave the airport next time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, I'm sorry to say that even if you manage to get round the 7 day rule you might find that they then hide behind the "Not responsible for sports equipment" rule. When my ski boots were trashed in transit the airline happily paid up for the bag they were in but wouldn't pay a bean for the boots as they are not obliged to compensate for sports equipment. Luckily the boots were repaired relatively cheaply as it turned out that they just needed new clips but it was frustrating all the same.

Lesson learned....always check your bags at the airport and go get a property irregularity report before leaving. It's the only way to prove that it was the airlines baggage service that is responsible for the damage rather than you dropped it yourself on the way home.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
<mutter> It just ain't right Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, small claims court? Or if you have a friend who's a lawyer, get them to draft a suitably intimidating letter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vetski, thanks but nah, I can't be arsed with it all anymore. I could spend more than £120 of my time to p**s about with it some more.

I wish driving for just one person was cheaper, I would happily do that and drive from now on, at least you can take as much luggage as you want especially if going for more than a week, and you don't have to worry about some careless people chucking your stuff around without a care in the world. When Flybe wrote back to me they stated with the use of machinery to move baggage these days then some damage (although to a small minority of bags considering how many are carried on a day to day basis) is inevitable. Trouble is with driving on your own too is that if you hurt yourself on the slopes and then can't drive you end up a bit stuck trying to get the car home otherwise.

I don't think machinery is to blame, it's the handlers because I'm seen them throwing bags around from the plane window like beanbags, and dropping one bag or ski bag on top of the next and they do land with quite a thud. I'm not surprised boots in boot bags get wrecked. I think I will put mine in my bag from now on. I'll get one with the side compartments one for each boot.

Sporttube is the only way to go to carry skis and poles peeps to guarantee no damage. The trouble is it was probably a sportube dropped on my ski bag from a height that knackered my poles this time! I only took the ski bag this time because I needed to take two pairs of skis for that trip, in future I'll stick with my Sportube.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, Strewth... we're talking about a used (albeit lightly) pair of poles that cost 20 euros brand new! In my view, they still look attractive and almost serviceable. Some would argue the baggage handlers have improved their appearance. The handles alone must be worth 50p if salvaged. Straps add another 30p. Melted down the remainder must be worth 45p or the way commodities are going, maybe 56p by morning. After depreciation I reckon you're now only out of pocket by around £4.77. This is not a big issue, certainly not worth a 2 page thread. GO AND BUY A NEW PAIR OF STRAIGHT POLES AND POST UP A PICCY. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, Strewth... we're talking about a used (albeit lightly) pair of poles that cost 20 euros brand new! In my view, they still look attractive and almost serviceable. Some would argue the baggage handlers have improved their appearance. The handles alone must be worth 50p if salvaged. Straps add another 30p. Melted down the remainder must be worth 45p or the way commodities are going, maybe 56p by morning. After depreciation I reckon you're now only out of pocket by around £4.77. This is not a big issue, certainly not worth a 2 page thread. GO AND BUY A NEW PAIR OF STRAIGHT POLES AND POST UP A PICCY. Many thanks.

Bode Swiller, bad day at work?

Anyway, oi you! Cheek!

If you had read my comments on this (rather long now admittedly!) thread rather than just the last one above you will already know I don't care about the money! I've said that in most of the posts I've put. Bode Swiller, you do not have to read threads that you feel are too long, or post on them, just like the rest of us when we see a post that is "too long" in our opinions, or is about something that we don't care much for, or we think is unimportant.

I have only responded since you said "best forget it as it's part of travel" (which is what I intend to do anyway-as I have said a number of times now!) to the suggestions and helpful comments other Snowheads have posted to answer them out of politeness that's all, rather than ignoring people that are trying to help. Which to me, is showing manners.

Anyway it wasn't the cost of the stuff (actually over £100 including the bag-not just 20 Euros so you got that wrong) that's the issue we're all talking about here it's the fact that the airline's response is taking the p**s about the 7 day thing and baggage handling in general.

So if you don't mind, there is no need to be sarcastic and offensive to me, what's it got to do with you anyway whether it's worth a 2 page thread or not. No one has made you read it at least twice.

There are loads of threads on this website that some people might think are silly or a waste of time, which on the same token might be important to others or whatever, but we all don't post saying "you shouldn't be talking about that, it's a waste of time" or words to that effect.

Oh, and by the way NO NEED TO SHOUT IT'S RUDE Mad

Rant over.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, are you sure you didn't just accidently run over them? C'mon. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, I wouldn't spend any time in Hereford if I were you. VolklAttivaS5 may not have run over her poles, but she's unlikely to extend the same courtesy to you...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, Wasn't planning a trip there any time... well, ever actually. Wouldn't look great in court would it? "Why did you run Mr swiller over?" "well... he annoyed me a bit on an Internet forum"
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vetski, Laughing Laughing

Bode Swiller, Oh I dunno... there may be a queue forming.... wink Toofy Grin

tsk tsk... whoever said men don't suffer from PMT Twisted Evil
snow report
Bode Swiller, depending on the exact location of your demise...'I swerved to avoid a cow and accidentally turned Mr Swiller to paste' would work, there's always the 'A small child ran onto the road' story...truth? Highly overrated.
ski holidays
vetski, Laughing Laughing

or... 'well gosh officer.... he looked just like a sleeping policeman...'
snow report
Charli939, Laughing Laughing

or a version of the truth...'he was shouting at me, and I was so unnerved that my foot accidentally slipped from the brake to the accelerator', or even 'I felt the world would be a better place. Can I have my medal now?'. There might be a money-spinner in this - 'Excuses R Us'!
latest report
You'll miss me when I'm gone
snow conditions
vetski, Excellent idea! I could put a lifetime's efforts into a new career! Toofy Grin

Bode Swiller, Annoyingly, that's probably true... Confused
snow conditions
i put this down the edges of the snowboard when i go on holiday, helps protect the edges a little more from knocks and bangs
plus helps keep the boards together, my dad has used it for years when transporting his skis, puts it around his poles as well

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210010
snow conditions
cookie monster, Pretty smart idea Very Happy

Of course I'm not so smart (or am I? wink ).... I use an old fartbag for just that purpose.... Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy