Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do when baggage handlers do this to your stuff?!

Poster: A snowHead
Got back from skiing last Sunday to find that, although my skis were undamaged (thankfully!!) the ski poles I had to buy quickly in resort now look like this:-

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/12208/ppuser/1051

Luckily (although not when I got there!) I had forgotten to pack my more expensive Scott poles and therefore had to get these Leki ones a bit quick in Val for 20 Euros-cheaper to buy a pair than hire some for 2 weeks.

Because they were only cheap it's not the end of the world and I'm not fussed about trying to claim for 20 E but it did make me wonder how you go about claiming for damaged stuff when it is being transported by plane. I would have been really pi$$ed off if they had done this to my Scotts or if my skis were wrecked.

I do have a Sportube but it only takes one pair of skis and poles, I had to carry 2 pairs of skis for this trip so had to take a double ski bag instead, it wouldn't have happened if I had used the Sportube.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems and have you managed to get any money back as a result?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, Turn the grips round on one of the poles and you will have a pair for downhill racing that streamline behind you. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, thanks mate. That's one of the biggest laugh out loud moments of the year so far.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nickski, yes I thought it was quite amusing myself. You have to laugh really don't you but it doesn't excuse the baggage people from slinging people's gear around right left and centre. Just as well my skis were alright, it does pi$$ me off though. It must have been quite some force from someone else's skis crashing down on those poles to cause that kind of deviation!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 27-04-08 21:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JP, they are going out with the rubbish tomorrow. I'm just glad they were only a cheapie pair bought quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I saw a deviation like that it was light going through a prism! Baggage Handler F*ckwits!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, Baggage handlers broke the toe wing on one of my bindings this season.

It wasn't last Sunday though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, I assume the minute my main bag goes out of side some disgruntled neverwas is kicking the shoite out of it. It's a bit like speeding. I thank my lucky stars I've only been stiffed once.

I'd still pursue a claim if I was you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whats a toe wing? How do you claim for damage done by them lot? Do you know? I'm not bothering this time but I've been going skiing quite a bit lately so law of averages and all that makes me wonder what's going to happen next. I think I will just drive to France next time I go for a fortnight-don't have to worry about any of that then or the stingy luggage allowance. The lauderettes in resort are not cheap when you want to wash your stuff after the first week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, to be honest it's probably not worth the hours of your life you'd lose pursuing it. I spent about 20 hours in dispute with BT, in the end merely to save £60. I sometimes ask myself whether it was worth it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nah, I'm not worried about the 20Euros for the ski poles. I got a fortnights use out of them anyway and as I said it was cheaper to buy than hire in that instance. They did rip a hole about the size of an egg in the top of a new Dakine bag I took on holiday with me this time though as well!

Oh well I'll have to put some tough tape over it I suppose!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, Duct tape. Never go on holiday without it. Brialliant stuff. For 20 euros (where from ??) I'm surprised they lasted that long.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, your pic is exactly why I use carbon poles protected by pipe insulation when in transit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I would e-mail that photo and a photo of the damaged bag to the airline. BA damaged a bag of mine a few months ago and replaced it without fuss, even though the most likely source of damage was the baggage handling. Pity the replacement bag got damaged yesterday...I shall be letting them know, though, since they undoubtedly pass such comments on to the handlers and can change handling co if necessary.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, yeah. Don't worry though, me "posh" carbon Scott poles were safely at home in my lounge-forgot to pack them in the bag in the first place(!) hence why I had to get some poles quick in Val. I don't normally have any trouble carrying the lot in my Sportube but course couldn't get 2 pairs of skis in there for this trip.

Thing is, I don't think even pipe insulation would have stopped the damage this time, looks like a hell of a weight came crashing down on top of my bag to do that.

Nickski, yes I was surprised at the price too although I have seen some online for about £15 before now in the UK in the sales so that's comparable with 20 Euro. Asked the woman in the shop across the road from the hotel how much it would be to rent some poles for a fortnight, she said "20 Euro so you're better off buying a pair to be honest", so I did. Thought they were cheap quality though as I bent one of them a bit when I fell down the first couple of days. Have had loads of falls with my Scotts and have never bent them yet.

vetski, thanks for that, I'll do that and see if they'll give me a new bag. Tis a shame it being brand new and all, its not damage you can darn either because the fabric piece is actually missing.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I had a bag damaged so that it was pretty much unusable. I reported it in the baggage hall and received a cheque for the (very modest) replacement cost within a few days. The same should work with damaged kit if you know that it's been dameged before you shove off. I assume that you didn't notice until you got home, but I don't see why they will believe you any less at that stage than any other. Drop the airline a note with a 'photo and see what happens.

I must say, they've done a very neat job on your poles.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, At least you now know your Sportube is worth the extra money over a normal ski bag.
snow report
Doesn't matter if it was the baggage handler at departure or destination. You have a contract with the airline, and your luggage is in their custody, even if they subcontract the actual handling of it. If your bags / skis / poles whatever get damaged then report it and aim to get the highest amount you can.
snow report
Find the baggage handler in question and place the pole somwhere very uncomfortable Twisted Evil
ski holidays
spyderjon,

I've found carbon poles snap horribly easily if loaded from the side. Looking at that picture I reckon the forces aplied might well have snapped carbon poles even in pipe insulation. I snapped one of my swix CT4 poles the first time I used it when I stuck it down a drain, double poleing to allow a car past, and loaded it side ways. I've done similar things to my alulights and they've survived fine. Still prefer the carbon poles (for xc) as my technique is getting better and I can no put rather large forces through the poles when skating such that alulights might not cope.
latest report
Deleted cos of I mistake with my thick fingers - which lost me a large amount of text i was writing in another thread.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 28-04-08 13:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've just rung BA to report damage done to the bag they sent me to replace the last bag they damaged...no probs, they say they'll get back to me with a reference number which I can use to claim a new bag from Antler. You'll need your flight number and a baggage tag number.
latest report
We went to Selva in February this year. When we landed in Innsbruck, I was sitting at the part of the plane where I could see the baggage handlers unload the luggage - the way they throw boot bags, ski bags and any other sort of bag Shocked about is really really bad.
ski holidays
Possibly the worst example I have seen is from a plane window, watching whilst baggage handlers "made" skis fit upright into hold containers by bending the bags (and their contents) and pushing them in nice and tight.
snow report
Result - got my code from BA yesterday, rang Antler today, new bag will arrive tomorrow. Always worth chasing these things up. Wonder how many trips the new bag will last for (the other one managed 2 return flights and got damaged on the second return leg)?
snow report
Hi there. Yes, thanks for all of your advice. I haven't kept the baggage tag numbers as I had chucked them out before I had opened my ski bag. Won't do that again! Have got the flight details though so I have completed Flybe's feedback form with those details to tell them and have asked them for a proper email address so I can attach the photos of the damaged stuff. I also told them that on the exact same flight back to Birmingham a few months earlier in January my skis got left behind in Geneva presumably by the same baggage company so they don't seem to be very good. Their website doesn't give an email address for customers to contact regarding baggage and I've been away on a works seminar for the last few days so I have sent their form off this morning. It does say though that you have to report damage to baggage within 7 days and I got back on the 20th, although I did tell them I have been away since as well so I'm only just outside their timescales. It will be interesting if they use that as an excuse not to pay anything out.

Will only take one pair of skis from now on so that I can get them into my one pair of skis Sportube uktrailmonster! Am going to look into getting a suitcase made of the hard plastic material that Sportubes are made of so it is completely bomb proof.

richmond, I know, they couldn't have got them identically bent like that even if they tried! Yes, I did notice the rip in the top of the pocket of my bag just as I was bringing it through the front door!

snowbunny, jb1970, yes I have to agree with you, I have seen them chucking ski bags and boot bags around without a care in the world. Boots are going in my case next time I think after what has happened, or I might pack some bubble wrap round my boots before I put them in the bag so the clips don't get damaged. I always make sure all the clips are done up before packing them so there are no clips sticking out that might get caught on something.

Pity for the single person driving to France is more expensive than flying or I would do that to stop damage to my gear or it getting lost.
snow report
If either one of your two pairs of skis have easily detachable "system" bindings, you can indeed fit two pairs of skis in a single Sportube. I did it once. It's a bit of a hassle unfortunately...

I'll see if the airline find my Sportube (been 3 days since I arrived). If not, I'll use the claim money to "upgrade" to a double.
latest report
abc, sorry to hear you STILL haven't got your stuff. Does the airline (BA?) think it even knows where it is?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, they've got NO idea where my skis are! Shocked rolling eyes

Thank god I got ONE of the 2 lost bags back. The one that has most of my more "personal stuff" (spare key/spare glasses/non-essential medicin etc.).

(it's a combination of BA/US Airway flight so I don't know who lost it any more. The story of the "found" bag was it was left behind at Heathrow! Shocked Just hope I don't get caught in between the 2 airlines if I do need to make a claim in the worst case)

In the ski tube were all ski related stuff. Expensive but impersonal. All can be replaced with newer and/or better copies given infusion of money. Still a hassle I'd rather not have. But at least I'm not half as stressed out as I was 2 days ago.

And thank god I have a second pair of skis sitting here at my closet, because it looks like I might be going skiing this weekend!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
abc, don't know if you've seen the posts from a compatriot of yours in Jackson Hole, but I'm rapidly going off Americans who have access to powder at this time of year...Twisted Evil
latest report
vetski wrote:
abc, don't know if you've seen the posts from a compatriot of yours in Jackson Hole, but I'm rapidly going off Americans who have access to powder at this time of year...Twisted Evil

Scotland? wink
snow report
I got a reply back from the Flybe baggage claims today saying that they cannot pay me any compensation for the poles or my kit bag because I didn't write to them within 7 days to advise them of the damage and as such, they have suggested I claim on my travel insurance. I'm very disappointed with that. I did check the Flybe website the day after I got back but there is no email address to write to about damaged baggage or phone number, the only way of advising them (apart from writing a letter and posting it of course!) was to fill in the dopey Q&A Customer Feedback form and even then they didn't have an answer for damaged baggage. Vety frustrating.

Initially I only noticed the smallish hole ripped in my bag, it was the following weekend when I went to unpack my skis and put them away (my own fault for not checking them as soon as I got back and leaving it until the following weekend when I was less busy with work) I noticed the poles were bent and then I advised Flybe through the customer feedback form thing, hoping for a better result from when I looked first time round.

After a couple of weeks they wrote back to me and said they had forwarded my email/form about the damage to their baggage claims department, who have since wrote back to me today.

A lesson to be learned-I will always check my stuff immediately and write off to them within the timescale (although it doesn't say on the website that you have to do it within 7 days-well not as far as I can see anyway). Thing is, it's not the end of the world but I feel disappointed because it's like they make it difficult to start with to inform them of problems as they have no direct telephone number for baggage claims or email address on the website so it feels like a cop out fobbing me off onto my travel insurance. I did try calling the main customer service number but was still in a "queue" after 20 minutes.

I won't be claiming on the travel insurance anyway-I'm not going to pay £50 excess for a 20 Euro pair of poles and a bag that cost me about £80 I think.

It's a real shame in my view that this sort of thing happens and they always find a get out clause. Crying or Very sad

This is the first time that this has happened to me-has anybody got any ideas on what I could do to get Flybe to compensate me despite being past the 7 day rule? My thoughts are I'm going to have to just lump it and know better for next time.
Crying or Very sad

I'm fed up with these airlines making bucket loads of money charging for this that and the other and then telling you to naff off when you want all of £100 off them for damage they've done! Crying or Very sad

Oh well I suppose I'll know for next time now won't I. Mad
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Next time you're up my way I'll cut them down/re-grip them & for use on big moguls wink
snow report
Quote:

they have suggested I claim on my travel insurance
cheeky b*ggers... you only get a month to do that and it's too late. Anyway, great photo of the bent poles. Truly artistic, made me laugh and well worth 20 Euros of fun. I've had loads of luggage damaged by baggage handling. What can you do? All part of travel. Best laugh about it and move on cos you only get stressed out and obsessed with "getting even" - they win. Think of it as a kind of natural balance to those times you get lucky... like getting upgraded.
latest report
Quote:

I'm fed up with these airlines making bucket loads of money charging for this that
today's Ryanair figures and their projections for next year suggest otherwise. Lots of airlines are going to the wall or being rescued via mergers, route consolidation etc.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, yes, I suppose you're right considering the return flights I have taken during the last 12 months, I have had 1 pair of skis lost (which were subsequently returned the next day mind you) and then of course the bust bag and ski poles incident described above.....so 80% of the flights have been with no problems with baggage.

I am very tempted to drive next time I go skiing (if it's for a fortnight rather than a week) but for one person it still works out at costing about £300 for fuel, the ferry crossing but not including tolls, which is more than the cost of a return flight to Geneva (at the moment anyway and not at peak times eg February). Would work out cheaper to drive if there are 4 people in the car though I expect.

Quote:

today's Ryanair figures and their projections for next year suggest otherwise. Lots of airlines are going to the wall or being rescued via mergers, route consolidation etc.

I wonder if less people chose to fly with Ryanair because of their 15kg luggage allowance, it always used to put me off going with them.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Might be worth contacting trading standards just on principle. They made it difficult for you to report it within the 7 days and then took so long to tell you about the rule that you couldn't claim on your insurance smacks of a failure on the 'Treating Customers Fairly' front. Not sure if this applies to airlines but its certainly not good customer service.
snow conditions
Charli939, yes I know. I put on the original customer service feedback form all of the flight dates etc and mentioned on that form too (I think), that there was no way of contacting the baggage claims directly so that was why I had used their feedback form.

When the original woman wrote back to me saying she had passed my correspondence onto the baggage handling department at the beginning of May, she knew damn well then that I had already exceeded the 7 day rule, but didn't say anything. I'm sure they make it difficult to contact baggage handling because they don't want all the emails and phone calls to deal with and hope that people get fed up and don't bother making a fuss.

It is terrible customer service I agree. Thing is I wonder if it's just not worth pursuing with the extra time and effort involved, only to find that they don't do anything more anyway. I will see what they say when they write back to me though, I have already replied to say I was very disappointed at the outcome and why.

rolling eyes Mad
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I know how you feel re. not worth pursuing etc. It just makes you wonder if this is their intention, they have purposefully made it as difficult as possible to claim, then ultimately refuse the claim in the hopes that 99% of customers would give up and not pursue it. I think the business practice stinks and that you have been treated really badly (along with hundreds of others, I would imagine). Maybe its time the collective worms turned? Toofy Grin

If not trading standards, then how about an email to Watchdog? Twisted Evil

Good luck, either way! Very Happy
snow report
Charli939, yes it is rubbish. Thing is, because I didn't open my ski bag and put my skis away until the following weekend-being a lazy cow!-they could turn around and say "Well you could have damaged the poles by accident yourself by then". I should have checked the ski bag when I saw my main kit bag was ripped and wrote off to them straight away by post, but you know what it's like, first day back at work was the next day, I got back late on the Sunday, I was going away with work the week after as well so was getting all the washing done etc etc etc, yawn! rolling eyes

I don't mind so much about the 20 Euros for the poles, they were cheap anyway, I suppose I could darn up the hole in my bag with some black cotton and it will probably blend in ok. rolling eyes

You never know, they might come back to me saying "We have reviewed our decision and on this occasion we have agreed to reimburse you....." tra la lah lah lah.

Both flights (lost skis and this baggage thing) were Flybe flights chartered by Mark Warner. I wrote to MW at the time as well to tell them I wasn't impressed much with their hotel for the money they charge but they didn't give a s**t about the baggage thing either when I mentioned it, in fact they didn't even reply about the baggage complaint part at all or suggest that I needed to contact Flybe as a matter of good customer service.

Thing is, it seems these days that a lot of companies are after your £ but don't really care anymore if they p**s you off, if they lose one person's custom then so be it, you're just a drop in the ocean.

Thanks for the advice about Watchdog etc.

snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy