Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave - anyone seriously interested in a few days there in the next 2 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following easiski's post that La Grave is extending opening till 11th May, I'm getting itchy and twitchy -and I only came back from the EoSB yesterday evening! The tourist office tells me that pretty much all hotels and restaurants are staying open until then. BA's flights to GNB have stopped, FR's still flying a couple of times a week, and the train is a very viable option timewise, though Rail Europe is currently showing the same price for a return trip as a 1-way journey, so will call tomorrow to clarify (RE showing from £164.50 vs. FR's £115.30 return before any luggage/ski carriage charges). I'm thinking a short break rather than a full week - FR flights 2nd - 7th May, or train 4th - 8th. I prefer the second option, I just can't hand that much money to FR.

If seriously interested, let me know - and I'll start seriously working it all out!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vetski, get thee behind me, Satan! To say the least me nipping out to LG would be for Mrs a something that passeth all understanding - but it is incredibly tempting. BUT I MUSTN'T Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, even if only for a few days? Go on, you know you want to... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
vetski, BA are still flying into Lyon which isn't much further than Grenoble airport, served by bus/train to Grenoble Gare Routiere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm flying to GVA 2-6 was going to go the CHX but have been reconsdering now LG is open.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, have just e-mailed Snowlegend to see if they're still running guided trips and to try & find out what's open sleeping/eating-wise - I was hoping the Skiers Lodge would be, but I've just heard from them and it's closed. Just how gnarly are you? This is my first season doing serious off-piste - I'm not up to 50 degree slopes, narrow couloirs, very long hikes or rappelling, as I've never done any, though I went on achilles' Jan LG trip and had a great time.

Colin B, thanks for that, hadn't really considered it as an option cos I thought Lyon was much further. Since I'm wrong about that, I'll check my options there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vetski - I reckon the only reason Skiers Lodge says it is shut is that it just takes a lease on a hotel in the town and that will be ending (lot of politics on why it moved from the hotel it owned) I'm sure you will find accomadation for your trip but if your struggling let me know and I will try and find the number for the 'old' skiers lodge which has nice big rooms in the basement extension and is being run by what can be described as a team of ski enthusiasts (not bums as they aren't bumming). Best of luck with your planning and yes I am tempted but I reckon my 2 year old would stop recognising me if I took a 6th trip. See you at next years EOSB.

ps - I reckon GVA is closer than Lyon
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, no, Lyon is definitely closer by about 30 minutes

EDIT 224 km GVA-La Grave
167 km from Lyon
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I looked up the BA fares to Lyon... Shocked Shocked Shocked 1-way Fri 2nd £224!! Definitely won't choose that route. I'll wait to hear from Snowlegend, I wouldn't dream of doing LG without a guide, and much as I liked the guide we had in Jan, I couldn't afford to pay his €300 per day fee even if this wasn't a possible 7th trip this season.

midgetbiker, Laughing Laughing about your kiddie! See you next year!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, never go one way with BA... it's one thing I've noticed when looking at their fares - one leg which might cost £45 as part of a return suddenly becomes a ridiculous £200+ fare (as you quoted).

Even better, you could fly return to Vancouver in Business Class for the same price as a one way in economy! Shocked

I'd love a few days of gnarly off-piste, but I'm completely (and utterly) broke, and might be off to Zermatt in the summer to meet/ski with someone I did my course in Soldeu with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob,

Too soon for me to get prepared but a damn good idea...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon, excuses, excuses. I'm on the skint side too, I'll just go overdrawn for a little while!!

The £244 on BA to Lyon I quoted? That was the outbound leg of a return trip. The inbound leg was about £160. I can't help but wonder what on earth is going on in Lyon over our bank holiday weekend!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm still up for a couple of days in LG. Sticking to the classics rather than needing a guide if I can find some party members.; Would probably be Sat & Sun
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, I know you're flying in and out 2nd - 6th to GVA - what are your plans for transfer and accom? Snowlegend suggested Auberge Edelweiss, but that's fully booked. You and I do seem to be the only ones interested, though, so that might not be enough - we'd both get stiffed with single supps for a start. Not sure, given my novice status, that I'd be comfy without a guide. If you want to pm me your number, we can have a real time chat?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy