Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
stanton, ok thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:
......If not I would recommend using Zurich instead. The Train journey is direct from Zurich Central Station the scenery is more spectacular.
Also in the winter, flights into Innsbruck are often affected by bad weather & frequently get redirected to Munich.........

Amen to that. The time I tried it, our plane couldn't get in - and after a very lengthy delay we flew to Munich. Mind you, the flight out was spectacular. But for reliability, Zurich is best.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, if the flight does get redirected to Munich, how much delay does it normally add to the flight time for them to do this and also how long does it then take to get from Munich to St Anton? I take it if its a package holiday the transfers get sorted out for you from Munich instead of Innsbruck?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It won't always be Munich.

Last year, when I was leaving from Innsbruck, it was snowing heavily, and only the "locals" were flying in and out of there (I was on a Crystal holiday but using the Bristol-Innsbruck flight supplied by Austrian Airlines, who were still flying).

Several of the flights on that occasion were diverted to Verona - which is about 4 hours down the motorway from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, I was on a package holiday, and the re-arranged transfers were taken care of. Quite a while ago, now, so I don't remember how long the Munich St Anton drive was - but it seemed a long time. I do remember that, overall, the delay was 12 hours Shocked Quite a bit of that was waiting at Gatwick, though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-05-08 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Munich Airport IT is 300K by Autobahn (less if you go via Garmish & over FirnPass) takees around 3hrs.

Google Maps link

Like achilles says diverts could also go to Stuttgart !

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-05-08 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, since you have decided on B&B I'll mention the Pension Schindler again. It is a bit more expensive than the €400 snowball mentioned, but very comfortable and convenient.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forgot to say. Alot pof people use the Arlberg Coach Transfer service from all airports. It cheaper . You can book online.

http://www.arlbergshuttle.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, your google link is forcing a scroll - even on my 1920px- wide screen Shocked Suggest you edit the link as follows:

Code:
 [url=http://...and the rest of the link]Google map[/url]

In March our Tour Operator hired a private coach from the Arlberg shuttle - and it did not turn up at the airport. Fortunately the rep was able to negotiate for almost the 20 places on the shuttle - so we got there, albeit rather late. The shuttle itself does seem a good service. I am glad to say that the private hire bus turned up for the return trip.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 2-05-08 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry thanks for the edit Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I prefer Innsbruck and prefer to take the risk, but Stanton is right - the trip across from Zurich is only another hour or so, and far more pretty.

VolklAttivaS5, have you considered apartments? More room to move. Ability to cook your own meals if you wish or go out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am trying to organise a 4 night break for 11 peeps to St Anton next Jan/early Feb.Am i right in thinking the Amalien Haus seems to be the only option for short breaks???Any one found any other alternatives?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Amalien Haus or Pension Amalienhaus used to be run by a very old chain smoking lady (Amalie). It was a very old Pension in the pedestrian zone.
It has since been renovated & is leased to British Chalet companys.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/mar/05/wintersportsholidays.wintersports.austria

Other places will probably rent at the last minute but certainly not until a few days before hand.

St Anton is not a short break resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
chalets - which are still not all that common in Austria, even in St Anton.

Oh really ?

http://www.stantonchalets.co.uk/search_results.asp

This does not include the ones the Scandinavians use!

Sstanton is pretty right though. There are only around 60 odd chalets in St Anton, and a handfull in Lech and Kitzbuhel and a smattering elsewhere across Austria. Put that into perspective and Meribel has more catered chalets than the whole of Austria put together an so does Val d'Isere. catered chalets are a British concept (Erna Lowe laying claim to the start of it whilst chartering a property for the whole skiseason many many years ago). The Sacndies have a couple of companies themselves (but I may be wrong I dont think they have many). On the face of it is pretty insular (Brittain - island race going abroad and having Brits cook food in our own little place, - God forbid we should have to mix!) having said that it accounts for 80% of my business so perhaps I'll keep quiet. wink
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, if you have money the Alte Post is nice and the St Antonerhof but they are top end. I have stayed at the Lux Alpinae and it is run by a nice chap and his wife (they like a beer or two) it is an ultra modern 4 star (quite stark but minimalistic) and the food is good - the price isnt too bad. Mark Warner have a decent chalet hotel with good food (The Rosanna). Loads of catered chalets and if you want food and decent dervice then stay away from the big boys (the "Multiple" tour operators). Albus travel are good and last season had a great chef who was also Mick Jaggers personal chef for a while.
ski holidays
Can you get a train to St Anton? In particular can you get there easily from Zurich airport?
snow report
rich.ll, there's a direct train from Zürich. Takes about 2h30.
snow report
Steilhang, Thanks.
snow conditions
Here is a report (last April) from a Germam Forum with lots of Photos & Videos.

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26517&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=rendlbahn&start=0
latest report
My word, what a collection, do you think he had any ski time? Toofy Grin

I have just booked to spend Christmas there, I really hope there are some slopes that my wife will enjoy(endure) as she is the nervous one in our family....
snow conditions
Stanton you seem to be the person to tap up for St Anton information and I was wondering if you would have similar details on pensions and low cost housing which is reasonably central? A group of us go away every year and prefer to stay in pensions with 3 main crtieria:
1. Proximity to Slopes
2. Proximity to Bars
3. Cost

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy