Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The internet community that gave birth to a ski

Poster: A snowHead
Powder Magazine, arguably the greatest English-language ski magazine of recent decades, has an internet community who cheerfully call themselves the 'Powder Maggots'. And that community, through a bit of enterprise and interraction, has built a new ski - the Bro. The maker is henceforth known as 'PM Gear'.

This story, just posted on the Powdermag.com website tells - in very candid terms - how the ski was designed, tested (in Argentina and Oregon), and put to market for this winter. I've never read an article quite like it.

Could the first snowHead to ski the PM Gear Bro please give us a report below!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic in the true meaning of the word. At last something comes out of the US which reminds us of why we once admired their "can do" attitude. until it was apparently displaced by the "kick ass" attitude.

I just gotta get me a pair of Bros Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As far as I know, a snowHead was involved in their design and testing!

Tom? are you out there?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are we expected to design a ski as our next assignment Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Are we expected to design a ski as our next assignment Shocked

Only 1/2marks if you do - however, if one was to design a pair of skis.... wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
austin the Mono is making a comeback, so the timing for a ski could be perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tee hee... I read that as, "Austin, the METRO is making a comeback....". Got very confused for a moment or two LOL Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if they bring back the Metro, then the Allegro can't far behind. We ought to have a snowheads collection to buy an Austin Ambassador for WTFH, the right sort of car for an ambassador, about 60p ought to do it if you can find one outside of the wreckers yard.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's a design to start us off. I'm sure people can start to refine it....

___________/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LOL @ skanky !

____(___)_______/

wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK...

\_____________/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like that as a prototype, so who's going to take it out to Argentina this weekend for a test run then?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
u brain, unless we're designing a cross country ski (and we haven't seen the width yet), I can't see much point in taking it onto the Pampas.

(yes, yes, I know wink )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edited out cos I's a moron
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, I think you can delete it until somone replies to it.....doh!
latest report
Any one know who actually makes this ski - I know they said Tahoe, but who, where? I'll try to find out this weekend - if it's made in Tahoe someone at Squaw will be talking about it!
snow report
I'm very disappointed - no one knows anything about this ski up in Tahoe, so either it's a very well kept secret, or there is no interest, yet!
latest report
Most of the talk about the design and testing of that ski took place on the teton gravity research ski forum. That's where the powder maggots emigrated after Powder magazine wiped their message board clean a couple of times.

I'm a lurker/occasional poster on tgr. The tone of that forum is very different, but madly funny at times. (They're the ones that coined the term 'middle England gaper fest" for snowHeads).

Here's their "Welcome Wagon", an introduction to the forum: TGR Welcome Wagon

(warning: non-moderated forum. Language and some linked images may be of a non-PC, U-rating nature).
snow report
I guess I would be the first here to ski the Bro! I hang out mostly on the TGR forum and have met a number of maggots over the last few years. I skied on the first set of prototypes in July at Hood, the soft one that had the problems later on and the first super stiffies. I liked the way the softies skied, pretty forgiving and easy to handle for skis 188 long and 99 under foot. At speed there was some tip flopping but under foot was stable. The stiff ones were a wild ride, no speed limit on big wide turns but I could still make some shorter turns as well. Later in the month I got to ski on the next set of protos for a couple of runs, not quite as stiff as the original. Personally I will wait for a shorter length. They're looking into trying something close to the upper 170s or 180 as a lot of people on the board were requesting something in that range for next year.

Speaking of prototypes, I ran into Paul Nelson, who makes Odyssey skis, at Mt Baker last Sunday. He and his brother-in-law were on the two existing pair of prototypes of a super fat powder ski he'll be making this year. They are much fatter than the Bro Models. Unfortunately it had rained many inches earlier in the week followed by clear overnight skies and freezing temps. Can you say "Boilerplate"? It was a test of versatility 'cause there was no pow in sight! They did pretty good though for the size. I'm going to try to test them if we ever get any more snow.
It's after 01:30 and I HAVE to get some sleep so I'll shut up now. Very Happy
Oh, Cedric, are you Cedric on TGR too?
snow report
Nope, not Cedric. Should I deconspire myself?...oh well. horizon.
latest report
fiddler, you seem pretty happy with the Bro, how does it compare to existing skiis on the market?
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
fiddler, you seem pretty happy with the Bro, how does it compare to existing skiis on the market?

I've never skied a ski that wide before so I can't compare it to anything of a similar size. Like I said above, I would prefer a shorter length. Here is a review from TGR with some comparisons. Maybe this will be something like what you were looking for. I know there are some other reviews around but this is the most recent.
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21598
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy