Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski for aspiring instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled I currently ski Volkl Mantra,s. But i am doing my Basi alpine level 1 course this summer on Snow, yet will inevitably use the ski on Dry ski slopes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
don't buy new skis to use on a dry slope! Buy new skis for snow and use old ones on plastic.

Re the bst ski to buy for the course buy a good all-round ski, steer clear of top end race skis, GS skis and big fat off piste skis. Some people say steer clear of twin tips but I know trainers who use them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
markyb, For plastic you'll want a fairly piste-oriented ski, not much powder to float on in the summer. The most important thing is sharp edges ! The race club at your local dryslope will have lots of pairs of ex-race skis with very little edge left which would suit. Snowplough and other skidded turns will wreck the edges, so it's best to have a plastic and a snow pair. Which slope will you be training at ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
markyb, Head Supershape Magnums for snow. Whatever you've got as long as it's a piste ski for plastic, twin tips are good to teach on plastic, as they allow you to snowplough backwards really easily.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
markyb, It's worth try to do the demos on slope skis and boots too..... see what your clients have to put up with...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys for advice. i was considering the Head magnum's given the snowheads review.
Dear Ski, i intend to do my course at Hintertux this summer then try Bromley or Chatham for the 36hrs practice but any advice would be welcome.I live in Croydon.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
markyb, You have Sandown in Esher which is probably as close as Bromley. Aldershot a bit further away to the west. Bowles to the south at Tunbridge Wells. Chatham has a carpet-like surface which is not so good to ski on.

You might want to see whether there is any shadowing you can get going on now, rather than after your BASI L1 ... also get the first aid course out of the way.

If you can get to Bowles between 6-7:30 on a Friday night, there's a really good Race Club (wonder who runs it ?), where we regularly have folk preparing for BASI....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, You cant do your 35 hours before the course.... you must have a L1 pass first before loggind "official" shadowing hours... nothing wrong with doin a bit of shadowing first to see if you like teaching though....

you can get your first aiders cert beforehand and I think (but could be wrong) can do your child protection module.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
markyb, i just ordered a set of head magnums as well Toofy Grin but they will never see plastic !!

beanie1 goes to bromley and you could ask her about the setup there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, But you can do unofficial hours.......and CBD check....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, good point on getting the police check done early.. they can take a while to get through
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So much to do and so little time. I am already police checked but have to do basi specific???, first aider qualified and thanks for heads up on Child protection. I will try Bromley/sandown for some shadowing if no joy will try Bowles maybee see you there ski? Skimottaret where did you order the magnums from and how much?
Snowheads always good Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
markyb wrote:
I am already police checked but have to do basi specific???, first aider qualified

yes (as from oct OCool you must do a specific one for BASI, you may get under the wire beforehand though.... i sent in one done for another employer and it wasnt accepted

go here for info http://www.basi.org.uk/basi.aspx?pid=37

also you want to check your first aid cert is valid, it must be a two day course or they wont accept it. i did mine through St johns but a more snow related one is through BASP.

On the skis i got them through a guy i know who is sponsored by head, but S&R have them on sale for £350 which is an okay but not great discount IMO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry guys but as this is specific to one ski for a purpose feel i can re-iterate a question posted so many times. Ski Length have found a 175 supershape magnum, i am 71 kilos and 172cm tall. To long or fit for purpose? Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
depends what you like in a ski, me im 193 and 96kg and ordered 177 supershape magnums, i know they are the longest they do but I wouldnt want anything longer. I have Slalom race skis at 165 and i really like them on piste but they are too stiff in the bumps and hard work off piste. lots of people here advocate long wide skis but if you are mainly on piste and demoing get something that works for that. how long are your mantras? and how do they behave on piste for you. Can you rip short radius turns on long skis? i would say most people fail the technical side of L1/L2 lose it on Short turns not in the bumps or off piste.

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Equipment/Skis/Head/ISS+Magnum+SW+HEA0034.htm magnums on sale at S&R
ski holidays
markyb, On snow..yes. On plastic bit long.
ski holidays
My Mantras are 178 and behave ok for short radius turns on piste and bumps but the float in powder is awesome. I accept your advice. And start looking would 165 be to short , as have had no joy finding a pair of 170's
Thanks Mark Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy