Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

early snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys, i'm new here, i was wondering if you coulld give me some advice about good places to catch snow in early december, i'm going on my honeymoon and we'll be leaving on the 7th, for either 1 or 2 weeks, we'd like to keep the budget fairly low but its flexable, my OH will be snowboarding and i'll be skiing we're both OK but not diehards, i'm not too bothered about where we go but obviously plane tickets are an issue.

all advice gratefully received.

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tsedgman,
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Normal best advice is wait and see where it falls. Probably not ideal for a honeymoon trip though. If it was me I wold want somewhere vaguely picturesque/ romantic.

In Europe Saas Fee or Zermatt may suit. If you can afford a bit of extra time to cross the pond Banff gets good reports.

PS although Zermatt is a bit pricey at this time of the year there are often a lot of deals that are inclusive of passes +/- equipment hire ,lessons etc. You should be able to get a reasonable price at some hotel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tsedgman, Short of there being some epic snowfall across Europe, many resorts wouldn't even consider opening their lifts this early, which would leave you with the normal suspects who offer 'all-year round' skiing - think along the lines of Tignes, Hintertux etc.....alas this may compromise the 'romantic' options somewhat.....

Sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even when there is good snowfall like this year. There isnt normally a substanial amount of pistes or lifts open until till Christmas week. There simply isnt enough demand before christmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what's your budget on air tickets/honeymoon?

we're just back from lake louise/banff in canada and they hold the first world cup event of the circuit there most years due to it having the best snow record for that time of year. you can get flights relatively cheap to calgary through Zoom and once you're there, food and drink is way cheaper than it is in many french/swiss resorts and the skiing just as good, if not better. Just had a quick look and going from Glasgow (other uk airports may be more or less) is only £99 + taxes each (probably about £60 or £70 on top).

worth considering.

If you really need to do europe, then maybe somewhere like Val Thorens or somewhere else with glacier skiing that will guarantee you snow. As has been pointed out though, not always the most romantic or scenic of destinations.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Obergurgl? More attractive than Val Thorens - not as attractive as Saas Fee.

We got married first week of December but deferred skiing honeymoon until early January.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tsedgman, welcome to snowHeads

You could just book the flights now and decide much nearer the time on the resort, you wouldn't have a problem finding accommodation for that time of year.

I would suggest Salzburg for Obertauern, Schladming, Kaprun etc (or Hintertux if it is real bad)

Alterntatively, you might want to fly to Geneva with the fall back of the glaciers of Tignes or Zermatt if there isn't much snow generally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly wrote:

we're just back from lake louise/banff in canada and they hold the first world cup event of the circuit there most years due to it having the best snow record for that time of year. you can get flights relatively cheap to calgary through Zoom and once you're there, food and drink is way cheaper than it is in many french/swiss resorts and the skiing just as good, if not better. Just had a quick look and going from Glasgow (other uk airports may be more or less) is only £99 + taxes each (probably about £60 or £70 on top).

worth considering.

If you really need to do europe, then maybe somewhere like Val Thorens or somewhere else with glacier skiing that will guarantee you snow. As has been pointed out though, not always the most romantic or scenic of destinations.

Actually, the first world cup event of the year is normally at Soelden in Austria (on the glacier of course), a week or two before Lake Louise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tsedgman, Banff. Lake Louise and Sunshine generally spin after the first week of November followed by Norquay (Which does open for a bit at the start of Nov) but opens for full use in Dec.

Ross
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:

we're just back from lake louise/banff in canada and they hold the first world cup event of the circuit there most years due to it having the best snow record for that time of year. you can get flights relatively cheap to calgary through Zoom and once you're there, food and drink is way cheaper than it is in many french/swiss resorts and the skiing just as good, if not better.

Lake Loiuse typically opens around November 10th, but it's man-made snow and rarely extensive until well into December. It's reliable for racing because it's reliably cold, so making snow is easy. I wouldn't go in early December expecting great conditions. And remember this is the 'Rocky' mountains - a fair bit of snow is needed before you don't get severe base damage if you slip 1m off piste. A few decent groomers on the front side is more likely.

March/April is by far the best time to go to Banff for snow conditions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're keen on the snow, and the lack of ambiance is not too big a problem, I'd go for Tignes. And there'll be loads and loads of accommodation available, so you could certainly leave it till nearer the time to book.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
come to serre che and book the big suit at the mont thabor hotel in villeneuve, it is awesome has a jacuzi in your room and the room is huge!!!
even if you go to two resorts come and rent this hotel room cos it rocks! i spent my wedding night there! was totally awesome!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about somewhere in the Dolomites? Lifts due to open at very end of November. If the snow's not great you'll at least be guaranteed some skiing - and it's so beautiful it would suit Honeymooners way more thant the like of higher resorts such as Tignes and Hintertux...AND at that time of year you would be able to get a fantastic hotel (try Rosa Alpina in San Cassiano, www.rosalpina.it - it's good enough for Tom Cruise and Katie H, one of the restaurants has Michelin stars) for an excellent price! And the slopes will be EMPTY! I've spent seasons there and believe me, early season is fantastic with empty pistes, beautiful mountains and tons of atmosphere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl opens end of November, with reliable snow up high, I believe. Great place ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tsedgman,

Did my honeymoon in Lake Louise arriving 29th November. Plenty of snow and great location. I choose LL because I was 100% sure conditions would be great at that time of year.
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
tsedgman,

Did my honeymoon in Lake Louise arriving 29th November. Plenty of snow and great location. I choose LL because I was 100% sure conditions would be great at that time of year.

Please can you tell the rest of use whare will be good and where will be bad next December then?
snow conditions
Go high.

The village must be atleast 1800m. And preferably have a yearround glacier.

Try:

Val Thorens
Tignes
Val d'isere
Zermatt.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Go high.

The village must be atleast 1800m. And preferably have a yearround glacier.

Why say that about the village elevation and therefore deliberately exclude Les 2 Alpes from your list, which has arguably the biggest glacial skiing area?
snow report
Whitegold, None of those French glaciers you list above are open 365 days/year.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Whitegold, None of those French glaciers you list above are open 365 days/year.

To be fair, he didn't mention "open" Razz
snow report
boredsurfin, And they'd all be open in December! None of them known for their romantic Ambience though!
snow conditions
The Arlberg region of Austria has a pretty good early snow record and Lech/Zurs get more snow than pretty much anywhere else in Europe, think they open about 7 Dec.
ski holidays
Just checked upper averages for lech and zurs for the week beggining 8 dec (last 10 or so seasons), 78 cm for Lech and 84 for Zurs, so unless you are freakishly unlucky you should be ok
latest report
JimSearle wrote:
Just checked upper averages for lech and zurs for the week beggining 8 dec (last 10 or so seasons), 78 cm for Lech and 84 for Zurs, so unless you are freakishly unlucky you should be ok

I believe Ischgl is similar, as most of the terrain there is above 2000m. Ischgl/Lech/Zurs are decent romantic locations, I guess?
snow report
I honeymooned in Ischgl - look to stay at the Trofana Royal - you won't care what the snow conditions are like, believe me Cool
snow report
It seems that over the last couple of years (not sure before this, can't remember), that Austria and Switzerland seem to get better early snow....(sorry if anyone disagrees). I've been to Saalbach, which isn't the highest of resorts, in that week twice and there was sufficient snow both times
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy