Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hydration systems. Why?

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
I can see the point if ......

1) Ski Touring.

2) Skiing hard from lift start to lift stop and not wanting to carry multiple bottles around or waist ski time in restaurant queues.

3) A recreational skier who doesn't ski hard but gets slaughtered every night on the beer and would benefit from many litres of water to fight against dehydration.

Good sumation, most anything else is up there with once a week joggers running around a lake on a Sunday morning with a litre of water in their hands. Pointless, may look good but better try and exercise and produce some sweat first before you add more water to your body...end of rant...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I couldn't ski without my camelbak. (it's actually dakine bt whatever...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller wrote:
DB wrote:
I can see the point if ......

1) Ski Touring.

2) Skiing hard from lift start to lift stop and not wanting to carry multiple bottles around or waist ski time in restaurant queues.

3) A recreational skier who doesn't ski hard but gets slaughtered every night on the beer and would benefit from many litres of water to fight against dehydration.

Good sumation, most anything else is up there with once a week joggers running around a lake on a Sunday morning with a litre of water in their hands. Pointless, may look good but better try and exercise and produce some sweat first before you add more water to your body...end of rant...

Just learn that we are not all the same.

Just because you and Db don't need all that much water does not mean tat anybody who does is "pointless".

Nobody is asking you to use them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, Hence the ability in the 21st century to have ones own opinion or am I denied that rolling eyes . But I think you will find stats, evidence on exercise and the need for water etc... back up my points Toofy Grin. Most people have over inflated ideas of the amount of exercise they have actually done (.i.e in my cases very little, therefore they can't understand why if they put lots of calories in their bodies and burn less off they get fat. Wow, amazing that rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
produce some sweat first before you add more water to your body...end of rant...

Embarassed I start producing sweat as soon as I put my boots on, after an hours skiing on Tuesday I was drenched in sweat and desperatly in need of a drink. Shocked

I was as fit as my medical condition would allow me to be, which wasn't super fit or even 3/4 way fit, but still a lot fitter than I was on my previous trip. The problem with Asthma is, to everyone else, you look just fine, but not being able to breath properly, especially when the air is thinner, makes this breathing lark just a tad difficult at times.

I found my holiday more enjoyable, knowing I had the back up of a drink on hand, I didn't feel a numpty and don't really care what other people thought, my health is far too important for that.

It is good everyone has their own opinion, but those who ridicule the idea should realise that there may be good reasons for people having them, there also maybe no reason at all and people have them cos they look good, my "friend" told me, if I was trying to make myself look a pro, I had failed, but she is just narrow minded and looks no further than the obvious fact. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pippivixen, Apologies I am sure there are skiers with medical conditions who find these back pack things usefull and maybe DB should add that to his list outside of that I still feel comfortable in ridiculing those that carry them. I sweat profusely when exercising, yet skiing hard last week in warm weather I felt mildly thirsty on occassions (a pint at lunchtime cured that Toofy Grin ). Another thing I have learnt this year when skiing is to dress to the weather. January, freezing, heavy clothing. March, April, warm, lighter clothing, with layers in my back pack just in case. That reduced sweating. Most people are unfit when they go skiing, they suddenly start doing loads of exercise and at high altitude and they wonder why they feel knackered?

Its my opinion and I am entitled to it snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
......... Do they work any better than water bottles other than the fact that they get mouldy and can give you an excuse to get off work when you feel unwell?

Suspect they do work better than a normal water bottle as it's easier to replace the water at a similar rate to which you lose it. I generaly carry a camel bak all the time even on the rare ocassion that I'm just pottering around the pistes. Don't see much point in packing a camel bak and water bottles for a trip. Small but frequent sips of water seem to reduce the need for me to produce yellow snow, whereas the same quantity drunk less frequently from water bottles tends to have me running round like a great dane marking his patch. From water bottles you tend to drink when you are thirsty (which is a sign of dehydration) whereas with a camel bak frequent small sips can mean you don't feel thirsty.

It's not just replacing water that is important though (e.g. sodium).
http://www.cptips.com/water.htm

alex_heney,
Bet there are more underhydrated than overhydratd Brits on ski holidays. Please don't miss understand me, I'd imagine a large percentage of Brits fall into one of the three categories I mentioned and so are a good idea / serve a point.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 26-04-08 8:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Overhydration...Watching people vomit liquid in running races is very unpleasant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller wrote:
DB, Overhydration...Watching people vomit liquid in running races is very unpleasant.

Well don't watch them then. snowHead

During running the contents of the stomach get thrown around as if they are in a washing machine. When people overtrain the stomach can also decide to shed it's contents, likewise if the stomach is totally empty and the runner justs drinks large amounts of water. I doubt it's down to the water alone. Just done an internet search on overhydration and many sources are saying that 2 gallons (over 7.5 litres) of water would be required to overhydrate. Expect exercise (skiing) and apres ski wine/beer drinking would increase the amount required.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Its hard to ignore somone beside you or in front of you. Toofy Grin Definitely the washing machine effect when running causes it, also people will try and take on liquids, like lucozade sport, in a race that they don't take while training. Upset stomach, very messy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller,

You mention evidence and stats earlier on... I keep hearing/being told that everyone should drink about 1.5L of water a day...on a normal day...So while exercising I'd imagine you may need more...
You should drink that slowly but surely during the day..You and others have decided that you do not need that daily water intake...fair enough...
But, if someone decided to follow this "scientific" advice ( I am not debating the validity of that advice here..) then carrying a camelback when skiing/hiking makes a lot of practical sense as it is easier to carry and drink from than an equivalent capacity bottle.
I am talking about long activities here, so I am with you on the 2/3 miles jogger carrying a bottle...I think carrying the bottle is more hassle than is worth for a 30 min. jog.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Most people are unfit when they go skiing, they suddenly start doing loads of exercise and at high altitude and they wonder why they feel knackered?

Very true, however SOME of this is due to the fact that the muscles are not being nourished with enough water via whatever receptacle you like. There is no doubt that there is a link between hydration and better performance, whatever your level of skiing.

I wouldn't consider wearing one because they 'look good' as someone speculated above, I'm not even sure they do Puzzled

I don't think camelbaks come into 'all the gear & no idea' bracket, IMO sensible bit of kit if you are prepared to wear one snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, All the 8 galsses of water a day stuff got debunked some time ago.
Bottom line is, if you're thirsty drink, if you're not don't worry.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rich,
Quote:

All the 8 galsses of water a day stuff got debunked some time ago

debunked by who?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pippivixen, I was hoping you'd say that. I have a slimline backpack which has a hydration pack compatible zip pocket so I've been looking for a hydration bladder.
ski holidays
rich, http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=123&sectionId=9

I use this as a benchmark, you will find stacks of articles to back this up if you have the time and/or inclination to do a search Smile
snow report
Lou, This is from memory but it as I understand it was all based on a piece of American research done way back. The original published data spoke of total water intake which included all the water taken in food as well as drunk. A large proportion of everything we put in our mouths is water. Unfortunately the world at large grabbed hold of the total volume of water and ignored its source. The error's been perpetuated ever since.

Your body is very good at telling you what it needs.
ski holidays
Lou, watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/v/wQ1-kKNZ2HY
snow report
Apparently there are a lot of other versions of the story

Some links

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN0236679720080403?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

There are loads more out there, just tap it in to google
snow conditions
rich, you're right, it was based on WWII medical advice on how much fluid (not pure water) we need each day.
ski holidays
Quote:
tap it in to google

'TAP', hehe. snowHead
ski holidays
rich wrote:
Kruisler, All the 8 galsses of water a day stuff got debunked some time ago.
Bottom line is, if you're thirsty drink, if you're not don't worry.

Agreed, listen to your body not scientists who are most likely funded by Perrier, Evian etc...
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, indeed. And typical of the NHS to be perpetuating myths.
latest report
PJSki wrote:
And typical of the NHS to be perpetuating myths.

Don't know about that, just saying listen to your body.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
PJSki wrote:
And typical of the NHS to be perpetuating myths.

Don't know about that, just saying listen to your body.

Yes and no...I am never thirsty..or rarely..so don't drink much(to my wife's desair..)
Next thing i know I have back spasms linked to dehydration....

so prevention can be a good thing...
ski holidays
Kruisler, it's certainly true that dehydration can creep up on you. In that sense the packs are very good, in that they allow you to drink a little and often.
ski holidays
PJSki, rich, will have a look at links tomorrow, as am in a rush getting ready for a party Very Happy Very Happy and possiblly will be dehydrated by the time I'm here again, however.......... will take some persuading, as through my work (in that myth-promoting organisation the NHS) I constantly see the effects of dehydrated adults (and these are the 'fit' ones coming in for elective surgery, never mind the sick ones)
snow conditions
pippivixen, I;ve tried to clean mine a couple of times but stiil no success. What is the sterilizing fluid called.

I fill mine to provide a drink on the plane and keep it by the side of the bed at night. Hardly use it in the rucksack any more!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in with the water dampens it down a treat. It also has to added benifit of cleaning the inside when we - inevitably - leave the water in for a couple of days.

It will also help with the symptoms of cystitis, should you happen to be suffering from it.... Laughing
ski holidays
Jumping Jack Flash, I use Tesco baby sterilising fluid, it costs something ridiculous like 30p for a 500ml bottle, I just mix some up with water, fill the bag and leave it for an hour or so, then remove the drinking nozzle and suck the fluid through (not right through into your mouth though NehNeh ) then suspending the bag high, the fluid runs straight through it, I then rinse it out with water and leave to dry.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney, Hence the ability in the 21st century to have ones own opinion or am I denied that rolling eyes .

Of course you are allowed your opinion.

But you often appear (I'm not sure you really do) to want to control what other people do, and it is my opinion that is extremely irritating.

Quote:

But I think you will find stats, evidence on exercise and the need for water etc... back up my points Toofy Grin. Most people have over inflated ideas of the amount of exercise they have actually done (.i.e in my cases very little, therefore they can't understand why if they put lots of calories in their bodies and burn less off they get fat. Wow, amazing that rolling eyes )

Fluid intake is nothing to do with calories.

It is quite simply about whether you feel thirsty. If you don;t often feel thirsty when skiing, then a hydration bladder is indeed pointless for you.

But if you do often feel thirsty when skiing (which is certainly the case for me), then one provides a means to easily and quickly take as many small drinks as you feel you need.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney, Hence the ability in the 21st century to have ones own opinion or am I denied that rolling eyes .

But you often appear (I'm not sure you really do) to want to control what other people do, and it is my opinion that is extremely irritating.

and you always type lots of words in bold which I find irritating but I still sleep easily. I know Oracle is all about central control but this is an internet forum where people can freely express their opinons, even in bold. Get over yourself. rolling eyes
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

What total rubbish. Are you saying lager, coke, lucozade sport are calorie free?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

What total rubbish. Are you saying lager, coke, lucozade sport are calorie free?

Of course I'm not.

But whether you drink "sport" drinks or pure water is a completely separate debate to that about whether hydration bladders are a good thing on the slopes.

Fluid intake has nothing to do with claories.

What type of fluid you take in does, of course.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Of course I'm not.

But whether you drink "sport" drinks or pure water is a completely separate debate to that about whether hydration bladders are a good thing on the slopes.

So you were wrong in what you posted. I accept your apology Laughing
snow report
Carrying your own water is cheaper than buying a bottle on the hill and means you can drink whenever you are thirsty rather than taking a break when you might well want to carry on skiing. I find a bladder more comfortable to carry than a water bottle (which can jam into your back when riding chairlifts) and significantly more convenient than having to remove my pack, undo the flap and rummage around until I find the bottle. The time when I'm most likely to want a drink, on chairlifts, is the time when I have no access to a water bottle. Can't see what the problem is with using some sort of Camelbak solution, other than the "reverse snobbery" of not wanting to look too 'hardcore'.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

and you always type lots of words in bold which I find irritating but I still sleep easily.

No I don't. I often type a few words in bold, for emphasis.

Quote:

I know Oracle is all about central control but this is an internet forum where people can freely express their opinons, even in bold. Get over yourself. rolling eyes

Advice much better suited to yourself, I believe Smile

I have no desire whatsoever to control what other people do (or say). But I will point out where I disagree with you, and I will say when I think you appear to be tryuing to control others.

And you are wrong about Oracle too Smile
snow conditions
alex_heney, As I said get over yourself rolling eyes Laughing . Express an opinon not insults or do Merthyr boys always feel the need for a fight Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Of course I'm not.

So you were wrong in what you posted. I accept your apology Laughing

Which, of course, idid not exist (regardless of your smiley).

Because, of course, I was NOT wrong.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
Because, of course, I was NOT wrong.

Yeah right, whatever, Coke is calorie free according to alex_heney
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy